The Green Hornet (2010) - Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Christoph Waltz

AlbertV

The Running Man

That doesn't make any sense to me. If he also wanted to be director but then pulled out because he wouldn't get full control, that would mean he doesn't see eye to eye with where they would be taking the film.

So why still be in it, you know?

Weird.

doug maverick

because money talks and bullshit walks, just kidding! maybe. he probably didnt want to direct. but a chance to play kato for a bruce fanatic like chow is a dream come true.

I love Stephen Chow. But the way I personally feel is this: If Chow is not given the opportunity (the respect by others) to give his creative input and his unique ideas then I'd prefer that he just stay off this project.

I don't want to be so eager to get into Hollywood with some below average remake of the Green Hornet or any other role for that matter.

doug maverick

why do people think that this film is going to be bad without chow directing? he is not even that good of a director, besides that his films usually have a "creative director" which means while he has overall control he is really not actually directing. and im sure that he has input. but things are done different, and sometimes you gotta play by the rules. i think its funny how people pre judge shit before seeing even a fucking still frame of the movie. chillax wait for a teaser or something. then judge.

• Administrator
why do people think that this film is going to be bad without chow directing? he is not even that good of a director, besides that his films usually have a "creative director" which means while he has overall control he is really not actually directing. and im sure that he has input. but things are done different, and sometimes you gotta play by the rules. i think its funny how people pre judge shit before seeing even a fucking still frame of the movie. chillax wait for a teaser or something. then judge.

I agree. I'm cautiously optimistic. XD I think Seth Rogen is funny, and the spot on skewering of action films in PINEAPPLE EXPRESS has given me hope. The right director will make Chow shine in this role. He doesn't have to direct for it to be good.

... He doesn't have to direct for it to be good.

He has to portray Kato straight... Impossible for him. In that case, they just as well could have hired Jackie "no tickee, no washee" Chan- If, it's supposedly a comedy. It'd be the same crap.

I hope this project never sees the light of day! (guaranteeing a sure fire release date.)

:mad:

froffeecoffee

So now Stephen Chow is officially off The Green Hornet as Kato. Where this leaves the project I have no idea. I sure it will be forgettable like The Spirit, The Phantom, and whatever hero Hollywood tries to make money off of without knowing what they have.

MissScarlett101
So now Stephen Chow is officially off The Green Hornet as Kato. Where this leaves the project I have no idea. I sure it will be forgettable like The Spirit, The Phantom, and whatever hero Hollywood tries to make money off of without knowing what they have.

They are now searching elsewhere for Kato. There's been an open casting call. I have acquaintances on several continents who have auditioned for the role. Leave it to Hollyweird to eff up this casting though, even with that many choices... :khi1a:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Any trailers out for this yet?

No, they're still casting, so they haven't shot any footage yet.

Why not a Bruceploitation actor like Dragon Sek? It's be the closest they can get to the original. Hollywood is probably "reimagining" it though. :yociexp33:

This just came in from KoreaTimes:

Actor Kwon Sang-woo (Volcano High) may soon be making his Hollywood debut with a role in the upcoming film ``The Green Hornet,'' Nate News reported last Friday.

Kwon is said to be up for the role of Kato, the Green Hornet's sidekick ― a role which was originally meant for Chinese star Stephen Chow. Chow was also supposed to direct the film based on the 1930s radio program-turned-comic book, but stepped down in December 2008 due to creative differences and pulled out of the role last July.

Kwon reportedly passed an English audition, attended by Seth Rogen and newly attached director Michel Gondry (``Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"). The final decision will be announced in a month.

Rogen, who co-wrote the script, will play the role of the Green Hornet. The film will be about a newspaper publisher who becomes a crime-fighting vigilante at night. The Green Hornet has already been adapted into a comic book, TV series and feature film. Kato's ethnicity changed over the years from Japanese to Filipino to Korean, depending on current political climates. Nicholas Cage has also signed on to play a villain, while Cameron Diaz will play the Green Hornet's love interest.

If Kwon claims the role of Kato, he will be the third Korean actor to co-star in a major upcoming Hollywood action film. Lee Byung-hun will play Storm Shadow in ``G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra,'' to be released here Aug. 6, while Rain will fulfill the role of Raizo in ``Ninja Assassin,'' to be released Nov. 25.

The Green Hornet has scheduled a U.S. release date of July 9, 2010. The release date for Korea has not been announced.

It turns out that Jay Chou is going to be Kato according to Sony Pictures twitter. Oh gawd, the humanity!

Here is the Official press release:

THE GREEN HORNET™” GETS HIS KATO IN TAIWANESE SUPERSTAR JAY CHOU

CULVER CITY, Calif., August 7, 2009 – After a worldwide search, Jay Chou, the multi-hyphenate singer-actor and a star throughout Asia, has joined the cast of Michel Gondry’s The Green Hornet in the iconic role of Kato, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach, presidents of Columbia Pictures.

Michel Gondry, the film’s director, added, “Jay is incredibly unique and charming and fights like a wild dog! When I filmed him next to Seth, they had such great chemistry, and I knew the movie will be great.”

Chou said, “It’s an overwhelming experience to take on a role made famous by Bruce Lee. I won’t try to be Bruce Lee’s Kato – I will try to bring my own interpretation to the part. Of course, it’s a dream role, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

A classic character of film, television, radio, and comic books returns to the big screen in Columbia Pictures’ feature film The Green Hornet, starring Seth Rogen as the vigilante crime-fighter. The film will be directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) from a screenplay written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg (Superbad, Pineapple Express), based upon “The Green Hornet” radio series created by George W. Trendle, and produced by Neal H. Moritz (The Fast and the Furious). The film is slated for release summer 2010.

A pop-star phenomenon throughout Asia, JAY CHOU brings unexpected gravity and depth to his acting roles. Born Chou Chieh-Lun in Taiwan, 1979, Chou began playing the piano at age four. His mother supported his musical gifts and he went on to master piano and cello. Music, songwriting, and basketball dominated his high school days, and he was first noticed in 1998 when a friend sang one of his pop compositions on a TV talent contest, accompanied by Jay on piano. Alfa Music launched Jay’s career, first as a tunesmith and then as a singer. In 2000, his debut album “Jay” quickly propelled him to stardom with numerous hits. His unique musical style is a fresh-sounding fusion of eastern and western traditions featuring strong lyrics and a personal style of storytelling.

With his soulful voice and infectious tunes, his second album, “Fantasy,” and seven subsequent albums, have continued to win legions of fans young and old throughout Asia. He has been the best-selling Mandarin artist in the world for the past nine years, with a busy performance schedule touring Asia and North America and numerous music industry awards.

Apart from many music videos, Jay began film acting in a starring role in Initial D (2005), a comedy-action hit in China. In 2006, he starred opposite Chow Yun-Fat and Gong Li in Zhang Yimou’s The Curse of the Golden Flower. Since then, he starred in Kung Fu Dunk, and made his directorial debut and starred in Secret. He will next be seen in the Chinese film Ci Ling and in Yuen Woo-Ping’s True Legend.

Thanks for that update...Jay Chou had practiced martial arts for films, and from seeing how he fared in Curse of the Golden Flower, where he did some weapon fighting, I haven't seen Double Blade, but heard he did pretty well in unarmed combat too, so it will be quite interesting to see him play the role of Kato.