Painted Faces

Endsang

I always thought this was a pretty famous movie, considering all the talk I've heard of it from Sammo himself and Lam Ching-Ying in interviews, but I can't seem to find much info on it, other than a plot synopsis.

Anyone seen it and can comment on it? It seems to me that it is more of a drama than a kung fu flick, but I'd really like to see the story of how the peking opera actors grew up, or atleast the closest thing ever displayed on the movie screen.

Been looking around for a copy online, but haven't found it anywhere yet though.

Also, any idea where to find a decent copy of Sword Stained With Royal Blood (1993)?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen it. Drama about Jackie, Biao's and Sammo's childhood in the opera school. Sammo plays the headmaster. Good movie, great performance by Sammo. Just dont expect any action. Also Jackie has critizised the movie for not being accurate enough, claiming that their time there was much harder than depicted in the movie.

Fabulous film with a great performances from Sammo as his own master and Lam Ching Ying as his friend who goes a little crazy after a stunt goes wrong.

Not an action film but fascinating because it gives a glimpes of what life was like for the opera boys before they grew up (even if its toned down!).

Why Celestial never released this re-mastered still baffles me!

Why Celestial never released this re-mastered still baffles me!

And pisses me off big time!! All I have is an old battered VHS of the movie.

If you liked the movie and subject matter, Jackie goes into detail about his experiences in his auto-biography. Worth looking to see if your Library might have a copy.

And pisses me off big time!! All I have is an old battered VHS of the movie.

Same here. Maybe they haven't out of respect for their former master? I remember that JC documentary and it seemed like he was very nice to the old teacher before he died, almost thankful. I think there is also a mention of it in the "Kung Fu Years" JC documentary.

Archived