The Challenger and the Skyhawk on DVD!!!

Monk Sante

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are the english subs like on these Joy Sales DVDs?

Very good. The overall quality of these DVD's are good, not bad for $5. :nerd:

Guest Markgway
What are the english subs like on these Joy Sales DVDs?

Hit and miss. Depends on who did the translation. They also have two bad habits: 1. anglicizing names. 2. putting three lines of subs on at one time.

never had the pleasure of seeing Skyhawk with subs or dub. only raw full screen and that was impressive.

challenger will be nice for the collection

Yeah I must admit, i'm loving these Joy Sales DVD as well. Here's hoping a few more of their VCD releases gets the upgrade to DVD, i.e Gold Hunters, Cheeky Chap.

Bless

Can someone tell me something about THE CHALLENGER? I saw it in one of the Chinatown shops but didn't pick it up because I'd never heard of it before. What's noteworthy about it?

What's noteworthy about it?

Absolutely blistering kung fu and David Chiang's annoying dubbed voice (which you won't have to endure).

Can someone tell me something about THE CHALLENGER? I saw it in one of the Chinatown shops but didn't pick it up because I'd never heard of it before. What's noteworthy about it?

Great fights in this one, dont remember much about the story. Deffinitely worth picking up. Alot of the same cast as "The Loot", which is a much superior film (imo).

I noticed on the joy sales dvd of The Loot which I watched recently they slightly cut off the top and the bottom so you see less of the picture even though it's widescreen. I have the china dvd of The Loot and you see more of the picture at the top and bottom. I'm wondering if The Challenger on joy sales dvd has this same problem. Anybody know why this was done and does anybody notice this in any other joy sales releases?

• Administrator

This is a common mistake made when mastering the image for DVDs, and before that- laser discs and even occassionally widescreen editions of VHS. The very edge of the actual film's image should be just barely masked off, or "matted" to present it as the filmmaker intended. quite often this is overdone, and cuts off more of the picture than it should (it's over-masked). And it's not just the tops and bottoms that suffer from this incompetence, but the right and left of a film too. So according to who prepared a film for which release, the skill of the technician doing this varies greatly. You can see this even in major motion picture releases from WB and MGM and the like, and how the tops, sides, and bottom can differ from one edition to the next of the same film, same home video distributor.

Along the same lines, when the image is set up for how it will appear on your TV, sometimes they set it so that it has "more saftey zone" on the sides of the picture. They don't want you to pop in a DVD of your favorite movie, and have you see space between the edge of your screen and the edge of the film's image. So they make sure the image extends past the viewing area. Unfortunately, often times they over-do it, and a lot of side image is cut off. I discovered just how much when I bought a DVD player with "infinite zoom". This feature allows you to zoom in or out in very small, controlled increments. That means if I watch a non-anamorphic DVD on my widescreen TV, I can zoom out until the letterboxed image fills the screen 16x9 style. But it also means that if I am watching an anamorphic DVD, I cam zoom in until I see the edge of the image appear. Then I go back a click or two, so I'm seeing the entire image without it being "window-boxed". This nonsense can cut off a serious amount of visual information, sometimes 10% of the overall image! Ever since I discovered this, I zoom in at the start of every film (during the company logo, before the credits proper) and reveal the missing info. It only takes about 20 seconds, so it's well worth it. There's a shot in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE in particular that I remember as a perfect example of this, when Billy Boy opens his switchblade. On VHS I could see the knife. Then on the first edition of the DVD, in the same shot the knife went off screen.

just watched SKYHAWK

upscaled on PS3 the picture is poor but normal on dvd player it played very good.

enjoyed this alot Kwans performance was great love this old guy, Carter Wong was hardcore in the end!

why was Nora Mao in it?

would like a english version anyone?

Fist Of Boss

Quality of challenger is pretty bad,it looks little better than vhs copy.In few scenes there is annoying thing screen goes dark and then returns to bright.Subtitles has massive amount of errors.

But fights are terrific so for budget price I say this is must-pick:yociexp86:

Hold on

skyhawk and prodical son are both going to be released here in south africa soon widecsreen and eng dubbed

Subtitles has massive amount of errors.

There's a German DVD that's proper PAL that may help improve viewing to a degree. I was working on remastering the subtitles for the release as it was a really simplified translation. I managed the first 10 minutes, but unfortunately I needed a translator to help me with what I didn't know and there wasn't a lot of time, so the old ones are still there. I was disappointed it never got reworked.

Fist Of Boss
There's a German DVD that's proper PAL that may help improve viewing to a degree. I was working on remastering the subtitles for the release as it was a really simplified translation. I managed the first 10 minutes, but unfortunately I needed a translator to help me with what I didn't know and there wasn't a lot of time, so the old ones are still there. I was disappointed it never got reworked.

Did any of you guys notice in end when Philip Ko kicks bucket spray of blood from his mouth comes BEFORE Tsui Siu Keung lands at his chest:nerd:?

Did any of you guys notice in end when Philip Ko kicks bucket spray of blood from his mouth comes BEFORE Tsui Siu Keung lands at his chest:nerd:?

I haven't watched the full thing:tongue:.

TheFlyingPanda

I still have The Skyhawk on VCD, I'll order it my next batch. If the quality is sharp and not to dark or washed, it's a triumph compared to the cropped versions I've watched during the years. Recently ordered "The Challenger" hope to enjoy it, is the quality similar to the "Beach of the War Gods" DVD ?

Archived