The Avenging Quartet (1993) and Angel of Vengeance (1993) - Opinions?

Chinatown Kid

I've been on a Yukari Oshima kick lately and was trying to track down some of her best films. I have Outlaw Brothers and Angel, now I'm thinking about getting The Avenging Quartet as it's got not only Yukari but a bunch of other Femme Fatale babes as well. Also thinking about getting Angel of Vengeance. Can anyone that's seen these films comment on the action and the overall movie? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Neither one is a classic, that's for sure. But any film featuring beautiful women in battle has some great moments, and the same holds true for these. Worth a look, but not a purchase IMO.

• Administrator

My Mom, who knows nothing about kung fu movies, saw ANGEL OF VENGEANCE in the store and bought it for me. She said "It says limited collector's pack (or something like that) so I thought I should get it for you in case it's something rare. It comes with a t-shirt!" :S I thought this was very odd, but extremely thoughtful. She had never bought me this type of movie before- knowing I had a big collection and that she wouldn't know what I would want. But, Mom's do rock! So, when I got it home and opened it, the shirt was one of those ultra-cheapo, paper thin, bootleg concert tee type of deals. It only says the title, and that's it design-wise, and it was a "large" but looked like a child's medium. The movie was terrible, but I still enjoyed the fight scenes. Hey- Yukari is cool and hot. :D

There was one good thing that came out of it. My wife, knowing that the shirt was quite small, put it on over her substantial natural wonders and teased "I think it fits just right... (dramatic pause)...for an Angel of Vengeance!" as she jumped into a mock kung fu pose. LOL She thought that was funny, but I think she regrets it now. Every time she asks "How does this outfit look?" I always say "I thing you should wear that Angel of Vengeance shirt instead." ;)

I'm happy to say, sometimes the most fun moments in my marriage are like scenes out of 70's action movies. Let the good times roll. :D

Oh yeah, and thanks Mom!

Guest Markgway
My wife, knowing that the shirt was quite small, put it on over her substantial natural wonders and teased "I think it fits just right... (dramatic pause)...for an Angel of Vengeance!" as she jumped into a mock kung fu pose. LOL She thought that was funny, but I think she regrets it now. Every time she asks "How does this outfit look?" I always say "I thing you should wear that Angel of Vengeance shirt instead."

Thank God you're Mum didn't do that for you!!

substantial natural wonders

I only watch Kung Fu movies to stop me thinking about sex. You're NOT helping!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. Doesn't sound like the movies are to good, oh well at least I'll have some hot looking woman to gaze at while watching the flicks. The poster for Avenging Quartet with the girls holding guns on motorcycles is so bad ass(I love motorcycles and enjoy riding my own Honda Nighthawk 750)!

One Armed Boxer

Yeah I'd go for a Beauty Investigator & Lethal Panther 2 double bill instead...both fun flicks featuring plenty of fight action and gun play.

• Administrator

Yeah those two are entertaining.

Which one is the one where Michiko Nishikawa (the beautiful Japanese body builder) has the nude scene? I'd seen her in the Sammo film and was surprised when she suddenly dropped her drawers in this movie.:o

Any of you guys remember CHEETAH ON FIRE? I haven't seen it in over a decade, but I remember thinking at the time that it was a really fun girls 'n' guns movie.

I might have to check it out again.

kingofkungfu2002
The poster for Avenging Quartet with the girls holding guns on motorcycles is so bad ass(I love motorcycles and enjoy riding my own Honda Nighthawk 750)!

You may enjoy this wallpaper then :)

avengingquartetgy0.th.jpg

I don't see that anyone's mentioned BURNING AMBITION (1989) yet. I remember it as being a lot better than OUTLAW BROTHERS. In fact I'd regard it as one of the best Yukari Oshima films I've seen.

I'll second One Armed Boxer's motion on BEAUTY INVESTIGATOR, but only for its fight scenes with Yukari, Moon Lee and Sophia Crawford, which are plentiful enough to compensate for a weak script.

I've seen some others that haven't been mentioned. ULTRACOP is awful, avoid it. I don't remember much about KICKBOXER'S TEARS, which would indicate that it's not terribly memorable. A couple where Yukari has smaller but quite showy parts include THE STORY OF RICKY (a must-see) and PROJECT S (often called SUPERCOP 2, with Michelle Yeoh). Yukari also stars in the Taiwanese KUNG FU WONDERCHILD, which isn't bad, but is more of a fantasy than a fight film.

Kickboxer's Tears isn't a great movie, but a fun one to watch if you have 90 minutes to kill. Moon and Yukari are on their game as usual. There's also a good Muay Thai sequence as well.

One Armed Boxer
Which one is the one where Michiko Nishikawa (the beautiful Japanese body builder) has the nude scene?

I'm pretty sure that would be In The Line Of Duty 3, with Cynthia Khan..has a pretty brutal last fight between her & Michiko as well.

A couple where Yukari has smaller but quite showy parts include THE STORY OF RICKY (a must-see) and PROJECT S (often called SUPERCOP 2, with Michelle Yeoh)

Likewise with the Sammo Hung movie, Millionaire's Express, I believe this was Oshima's first Hong Kong film, which had her paired up with Hwang Jang Lee as a samurai sword wielding babe.

• Administrator
Likewise with the Sammo Hung movie, Millionaire's Express, I believe this was Oshima's first Hong Kong film, which had her paired up with Hwang Jang Lee as a samurai sword wielding babe.

...and Yasuaki Kurata. You could have made a hell of a movie just about that trio!

Hwang, Kurata, and Oshima are... THE TRIO OF DEATH! :D

One Armed Boxer

Ha Ha, the Trio Of Death...thats gotta be a name for a kung-fu movie already surely!!!

You could probably make about 5 kung-fu movies using the cast of Millionaire's Express and never use the same star twice!

You may enjoy this wallpaper then :)

avengingquartetgy0.th.jpg

Hey thanks for that man, that is an awesome pic! I gotta see Kickboxer's Tears, Burning Ambition and Beauty Investigator, thanks for the recommendations guys. I really want to see Project S as well because I saw clips of it on youtube and the fights looked fantastic!

• Administrator
Hey thanks for that man, that is an awesome pic! I gotta see Kickboxer's Tears, Burning Ambition and Beauty Investigator, thanks for the recommendations guys. I really want to see Project S as well because I saw clips of it on youtube and the fights looked fantastic!

I've got all four of these if you want them Bro. I'll peek at your trade list.

Guest Markgway
I'm pretty sure that would be In The Line Of Duty 3, with Cynthia Khan.

Yes, she has a brief, but steamy sex scene with Stuart Ong. You see her baps and her body profile, but no bush. One of the best 'Girls With Guns' films, IMO.

Killer Angels is OK too. Moon Lee, Takajo Fujimi, Yuen Hung, and Yuen King-Tan (no, really!) are the fighting gals in that one. I have an uncut dub on DVD-R if anyone wants it?

I've got all four of these if you want them Bro. I'll peek at your trade list.

I sure do Bob, pick out whatever you want from my list and let me know! :)

One Armed Boxer

I recently felt like dipping my toes back into the girls with guns genre to close out the year, so figured I'd check out how much it would be to pick up a new copy of 'The Avenging Quartet' on DVD. Just $499.99!!! (not forgetting $3.99 shipping!)....does anyone want to go halves?:tongue: -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000DN5VJE/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1_olp?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1419856408&sr=1-1&keywords=the+avenging+quartet

Archived