Joshua Tree - Dolph Lundgren

Guest Markgway

yep, wonderful Scope Framing. that's why the matted US Version annoys me so much, all Heads are looped of and such shit. the French (based on unrated, but censored!) and Swedish are much better framed within in the 2.35 Ratio.

The French was made from their theatrical 35mm which is why I could never understand the cuts on the DVD (which very rarely happens in France) except that I suspect (as for Joshua Tree) they might have used the same master as one made for TV...

What do you mean by "all Heads are looped of and such shit"?

Thank you very much, Spannick!! :D

Such a shame they felt the need for cuts - on the upside, all this talk about it makes me want to go back and see it again!!

So that's 4 of Dolph's best (Men of War, Joshua Tree, Punisher, Shooter) butchered on DVD - crazy!

The French was made from their theatrical 35mm which is why I could never understand the cuts on the DVD (which very rarely happens in France) except that I suspect (as for Joshua Tree) they might have used the same master as one made for TV...

What do you mean by "all Heads are looped of and such shit"?

just see the first pix on my "schnittberichte" link and you will see how heads are shaved off on the US DVD's framing... he compares the image for two shots.

i was unaware that my man dolph had such a following overseas

his last few direct to dvd films have done fairly well, but fall even below segal's standards unfortunately. his last one (i think it was called the missionary?....no no missionary man.)it was written and directed by him...almost a modern day spaghetti western.....noteable effort, but still dissapointing

his box art still manages to drag people in. however diamond dogs (his latest) is collecting dust on the shelves

just wish he would be cast in something that could push him further.

anyone anticipating the upcoming JCVD?

He's always been bigger overseas (more of his flicks went theatrical).

Have you seen "The Defender" and especially "The Mechanik"? they're his first directorial efforts and show lots of skills and potential.

"Missionary Man" did not turn out as even himself expected because he didn't have much support from his producers, and even the lab managed to screw up the transfer from the approved HD master to the final DVD, so that explains the weird colors...

He's trying to do different things and grow slowly but surely as a director. His last piece "Command Performance", even though a straight forward Die-Hard-like flick, should be pretty new and different, especially in terms of his character.

Then he's working on some action drama in the vein of "History of Violence" and "Leon"/The professional called "Icarus"...

just see the first pix on my "schnittberichte" link and you will see how heads are shaved off on the US DVD's framing... he compares the image for two shots.

Call me blind or stupid but to me the US one looks much wider and better and more like a proper 2.35 aspect ratio... The other (from which source?) looks more like a 1.85 or something between 2.35 and 1.85...

it still is cropped very much at the top and bottom. now if you don't see THAT you can call yourself stupid ;)

and i don't care about the sides, as the other 2.35 Versions offer that Stuff too.

I see that but that doesn't mean it's the intended ratio... just like many pan & scan or full screen versions will show you more on the bottom and top... and sometimes some boom mics will drop in the frame as well...

To come back to JOSHUA TREE, I just heard that the film's rights were now split between two companies which makes it difficult to make any sequel (was told Vic Armstrong is not against it) or new DVD release...:S

AICN has today posted an update on Universal Soldier 3.

According to Van Damme, Lundgren has not been asked to participate because, and I quote, "he has no value"!!

Ouch!! :mad:

TibetanWhiteCrane

According to Van Damme, Lundgren has not been asked to participate because, and I quote, "he has no value"!!

And Van Damme has:D;):D;):cry::o:quiet:

According to this interview the producers would have said that not, VD...

This is BS.

I KNOW FOR A FACT that Dolph was offered the part and as of a a few weeks ago he wasn't if wouldn't postpone his other project "Icarus" to film US3.

Guest Markgway

"However Dolph Lundgren, with whom he co-starred in the original Emmerich & Devlin UNIVERSAL SOLDIER film, won't be returning, per The Powers That Be."

“I told them, guys bring in Dolph! They said there’s no more value [to cast him]. I said, ‘it will have value with me!’”

That's completely different to the idea that Van Damme says Dolph has no value. I had a feeling his quote had been taken out of context.

Jox - you are right, the producers said this, and not JCVD - apologies if I insinuated otherwise.

Just for the record, I take no pleasure in posting the above - I just figured people would be interested in this news item, and I don't want it to look as if I'm enjoying the negativity of it.

As you can see from my other posts, I'm a Dolph fan, too!!

:)

Guest Markgway
Van Damme also confirmed rumors that Peter Hyams, who directed Jean-Claude in TIMECOP and SUDDEN DEATH, will serve as DP on the project for US3 director Simon Fellows (UNTIL DEATH, SECOND IN COMMAND). To the best of my knowledge, this will be the first time Hyams (who traditionally shoots his own films) has DPed for a film he did not also direct.

Umm... Wouldn't it be better to have Peter Hyams direct as long as he's attatched? I mean, he was responsible for two of Van Damme's best films (Timecop, Sudden Death). Simon Fellows, erm, wasn't. It's like Brian DePalma serving as DP for Uwe Boll!

Agreed - very odd!! :P

I had to read that twice to make sure I had indeed got it right!!

BTW (and apologies if it's off topic), did you or anyone else catch Double Impact the other night on TV? I'd forgotten just how much I love that film!!

Cognoscente
On 9/27/2008 at 3:34 AM, Guest Markgway said:

Probably Lundgren's best film, but didn't even get a theatrical release in the US or UK.

I've always found this quite strange with his career. The Punisher (1989) doesn't get theatrically released, but somehow I Come In Peace (1990) does. Joshua Tree didn't, yet Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991) did. Where's the logic in that?! You would think that the release of Universal Soldier (1992) would have done something for his career.

• Like 2