Joshua Tree - Dolph Lundgren

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Is there a 2.35 anamorphic dir's cut DVD of this film anywhere on this planet?

The US Disc is the 106m unrated dir's cut (yay!) but in their infinite wisdom Artisan (pron. Arsesthen) cropped the film to 1.33 and retitled it Army of One (boo!)

There's no UK disc - but then EIV's tape was censored and abridged (with re-shot "happier" ending).

AFAIK, all German versions are cut to hell.

The French DVD is 2.35 (not sure about 16:9?) but dubbed in Fr only (bah!) - also for some reason this print is missing a couple of mins of dialogue(!)

good question, but I haven't heard of one. all I have is the old VHS from Live Home Video, and I'm not about to upgrade to a fullframe dvd of the same quality. but actually it's a really good movie, and contains probably the best John Woo inspired shootout I've ever seen in a US film. the soundtrack is awesome too, def. the best Dolph Lundgren movie I've seen!

Guest Markgway

Yeah, not many directors get as close to Woo as Vic Armstrong did with that garage gunfight. Shame he didn't continue to direct. Probably Lundgren's best film, but didn't even get a theatrical release in the US or UK.

Don't laugh. That's apparently why they changed the title.

Lovely. What better way to blend cinema and music than to have "With or Without You" playing as Kristian Alfonso's body double is showering

the 1.33 Version on US DVD is not cropped, it's open matte. you see a hell of a lot more Picture on it. just zoom it in and it looks fine. the 2.35 is matted too severe. also, there's a whole different ending on the US Version than on the German / old European VHS Versions.

Guest Markgway
the 1.33 Version on US DVD is not cropped, it's open matte. you see a hell of a lot more Picture on it. just zoom it in and it looks fine. the 2.35 is matted too severe. also, there's a whole different ending on the US Version than on the German / old European VHS Versions.

Ah. Was it filmed in Super 35 then?

The DVD-R I have is the Unrated Dir's Cut (with ARMY OF ONE title) but it's matted (I had assumed it was cropped) to 1.78.

But now I'm thinking it's the 1.33 print that someone has 16:9'd. I have to say it does look pretty good.

So Spannick are you saying that 2.35 is NOT the original (intended) aspect ratio?

well it could have been shot for 2.35 in mind, but i doubt it's correctly reformatted on the Video formats. i got a 2.35 Version from German TV (MGM) and it's matted even MORE than the French DVD... (and it has the other Ending!)

Guest Markgway

Judging by your caps (thanks, BTW) looks like it could be Super 35.

1.33 has significantly more info at the top and bottom and a sliver less at the sides (and that usually that spells S35 format).

Looks like 2.35 could be the intended ratio (anyone got Vic Armstrong's phone number? lol) but might play most comfortably at a little less (between 1.85 and 2.00 say)

It WAS shot in Super35 (according the production notes) and screened theatrically in France in 2.35 (which, given that it is a modern day western was certainly the ratio intended, S35 just costs less than anamorphic).

Gotta get the widescreen Japanese laserdisc although it's the initial shorter version...

I got the Korean DVD from eBay back in Feb - it appears to be widescreen (No idea about ratios, I'm rubbish at all that!), but doesn't have the extra scenes at the end.

It is a gorgeous print, though! :D

I really enjoyed the film; certainly one of Dolph's best - along with Men of War, Showdon in LT and Punisher, IMO.

And who knew George Segal had such a potty mouth??! :o

btw, MEN OF WAR is ONLY available in its full unrated Glory (in 2.35 Format) on a Swedish 4 Movies on 2 DVDs set (!). the Touchstone DVD is severly overmatted and edited in lots of Violence for an R-Rating. only minor quibble: uncut DVD is 4:3, not 16:9

btw, MEN OF WAR is ONLY available in its full unrated Glory (in 2.35 Format) on a Swedish 4 Movies on 2 DVDs set (!).

Swedish edition also available on a single disc. Also I'm pretty sure the Japanese DVD is widescreen 2.35 and uncut and possibly even 5.1 although I'm not 100% sure because I don't own it YET.

hey, if you link me to a Catalog Number or Japanese link i'll happily try it out. love the Movie and tried out every possible Version you can think of ;)

I got Men of War on Reg 1, which I believe comes in two flavors: full and W/S (Why??!)

Can anyone please tell me what's missing from the R rated version?

Guest Markgway
It WAS shot in Super35 (according the production notes) and screened theatrically in France in 2.35 (which, given that it is a modern day western was certainly the ratio intended, S35 just costs less than anamorphic).

Super 35 is a giant pain in the arse. It always causes framing issues and never looks as good as Panavision.

Is this a good film? I only got to see Showdown In Little Tokyo

Yes. It's a lot better than Little Tokyo.

btw, MEN OF WAR is ONLY available in its full unrated Glory (in 2.35 Format) on a Swedish 4 Movies on 2 DVDs set (!). the Touchstone DVD is severly overmatted and edited in lots of Violence for an R-Rating. only minor quibble: uncut DVD is 4:3, not 16:9

Dolph's second best movie and another that's been treated poorly by distributors. I saw the unrated version on TV but t'was full screen alas. This one was scope wasn't it?