Shaw Actors' Names

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

I was wondering about the use of surnames and forenames for certain Shaw Bros actors.

For example --

English: Essie Lin Chia

Cantonese: Lam Ka (Ga)

Mandarin: Lin Chia (Jia)

Now does that mean her surname is Lin (or Lam but I'll use to Mandarin to save further complication) or is Lin Chia made up of two forenames and in the west might be Lin-Chia? If that was the case the Essie Lin Chia would be three forenames and no surname. Right? But if Lin is indeed her surname then the Mandarin forename Chia would be somewhat redundant and Essie Lin would suffice. Make sense?

Conversely Lily Ho or Ho Li-Li is simpler. Ho is the surname and Lily or Li-Li the forenames. But some I'm not sure about... Any Chinese speakers know how this works?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lin is the family name. I don't know if the it's the actors doing it or people in literature writing about them, but there are many instances where the western name is combined with the 'full' chinese name. Other examples (with family name capitalized):

Philip KO Fei

Alexander FU Sheng

Alexander LO Rei

It's because the family name comes first in Chinese but last in English, so sometimes they're combined to cater to both cultures. But in a country where English grammar is the rule of law, like a drivers license in America or Canada, then it might be Philip Fei Ko, Alexander Sheng Fu, and Alexander Rei Lo.

KFS

Guest Markgway
Lin is the family name.

Thanks.

I wasn't sure if Lin Chia was a case like Dana (or Da Na) where there's no surname and two forenames.

The fact that many actors used stage names was largely what made me wonder. I figured maybe like Dana (or Madonna for a western equivilent) they billed themsleves without a surname.

Like if her name was Wang Lin-Chia but she just used the Lin Chia. Lin then wouldn't be the surname. But you say it is. I picked her at random as plenty actors and actresses only use two names.

For every Cheng Pei-Pei there's a Li Ching.

So one would therefore assume that Betty Ting would be the English version of Ting Pei and Angela Yu the English for Yu Chien? Right?

I've seen Dana's name spelt like Da Na as in two seperate chinese names so I thought this was her real name and they just combined it to Dana to Americanize it(or should I say Englishize it).

So one would therefore assume that Betty Ting would be the English version of Ting Pei and Angela Yu the English for Yu Chien? Right?

Sounds good to me. The only name that has confused me is Casanova Wong's. His 'real' name is Ca Sa Fa, which I imagine was reworked to be 'Casanova'. I don't know what his real surname is.

KFS

Guest Markgway

Yeah, Wong is from his Korean name. Ca Sa Fa is basically Casanova - a nickname. I've been crediting him as Casanova Wong, but might change that to Kim Yong-Ho. I try to use the Korean names where known.

Guest Markgway

I'd probably mention it in my review of the Hong Kong film he debuted in. Also was considering an alternate names section so any name can be checked against aliases.

Archived