Mortal Kombat [1995]

Mr Wiggl3s

How is this not a stickied topic?

Mortal Kombat was, aside from being a pretty decent movie, a segway for games to become movies. Though this was one for the first, and best done, it certainly hasn't deterred others from giving it a try.

Also, Mortal Kombat > DOA > Street Fighter

Anyone else like the movie...?

• Like 1

there were other games made into movies before it ie Mario Brothers, TMNT, Double Dragon, and Street Fighter, but it was a decent movie. I think if any of em tried to segway into games being good to decent movies atleast at the box office it'd have to have been TMNT.

• Like 1

thelastweaponmaster

The timing of this topic is kind of ironic as I just caught the conclusion of Mortal Kombat on a local television station yesterday night. It was a decent effort, a definite step-up from the Streetfighter movie starring JCVD. However when you look at Mortal closely, it just wound up as a series of fights, with not too much meat or substance/logic in between the brawls. That would had made the movie better. Also the opening scenes of MK 2 killed the movie series for me (the rest of the movie was just as bad).

• Like 1

Mortal Kombat was you say the creme-du-jour of the video game turned movie. Street Fighter with JCVD could have been better had they not casted the late Raul Julia as Bison and Damian Chapa as Ken. They should do a reworking of this with a new cast and stay faithful to the animated movie storyline if you ask me. Now, Super Mario Brothers, Double Dragon (as much as I like Mark Dacascos), and those Uwe Boll films...blechhhhh!!!! D.O.A.: Dead or Alive I actually enjoyed, but some may have found it cheesy if you know what I mean, but it was way better than Double Dragon and Super Mario IMO!!!

We do have Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li coming in February and soon after, we're gonna have Tekken. I hope Tekken comes up on the level of Mortal Kombat. Could be quite an action fest.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone about Mortal Kombat. Robin Shou is a fine Liu Kang and they let him show off his skills.

Now Street Fighter? The best on-screen adaptation of that game has to be Jackie Chan's scene in City Hunter. Kristin Kreuk better be studying his Chun Li for the upcoming movie. :D

• Like 1

Yea, that chun-li movie should be good. Apparently theres another MK movie in the works with a release date of 2010.

MK2 wasn't really a movie. They cut raidens hair, they killed johnny cage, they tried animalities. That was an abomination

• Like 1

Now, Super Mario Brothers, Double Dragon (as much as I like Mark Dacascos), and those Uwe Boll films...blechhhhh!!!! D.O.A.:

i only listed those films i did because he said MK was da first game to become a movie so i listed a few that came before Mk.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I think he may have been confused by this-

Though this was one for the first, and best done, it certainly hasn't deterred others from giving it a try.

And I think everyone was confused by this-

How is this not a stickied topic?

:P;) (that is a winking smilie in case you cant see it. These new smilies suck.)

• Like 1

Don't know anything about MK : Defenders I'm afraid. But as for Conquest, I'm not sure about the entire series but I have a truncated version that's about 3-4 hrs, the fights were ok for USA. If possible I'd watch that and see if you want to view the whole series.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 12/10/2020 at 6:58 PM, DrNgor said:

Question:

For MA fans, are Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm and Mortal Kombat: Conquest worth watching?

I got Conquest as a Christmas present in 2002, and it took me until this year to finish it - rather tedious and dull.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 1:58 PM, DrNgor said:

Question:

For MA fans, are Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm and Mortal Kombat: Conquest worth watching?

They are worth watching for MK fans definitely, but not necessarily MA fans. The best fight in Conquest was in the beginning of the episode with Rain

• Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 4:52 PM, mark187 said:

They are worth watching for MK fans definitely, but not necessarily MA fans. The best fight in Conquest was in the beginning of the episode with Rain

Mortal Kombat: Conquest is worthwhile for the fans indeed; just a shame it ended on a cliffhanger.

Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm was "memorable" for Sonya constantly yelling out "Kombat Time!" far too many times in each episode; this can be skipped. :)

• Like 2

I loved this movie as a kid, and I still do. Yeah, it's basically a retread of Enter the Dragon, but it's a lot of fun. Shame the sequel was trash. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Speaking of which, here's my full-length review of that film. I still have fond memories of watching it in the theater...twice.

https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2023/07/mortal-kombat-annihilation-1997.html

I don't why, but reading your review has made me want to go back and rewatch the second movie. What black magic is being cast on me!? lol