What One Movie Got You Into This Genre

Guest justkungfuman

Guest moviegyrl

Although I probably saw a couple of Bruce's flicks as a toddler, the one film that "got me into this genre" was an old Polly Shang Kuan pic, RETURN OF THE KUNG FU DRAGON. 'Watched it on Saturday late-night TV, "Martial Arts Theater," hosted by a local radio DJ who portrayed a less-than-politically-correct character named "Charlie Lumm." Seeing Jackie's films, on this program, cemented my interest in the genre!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgoth

Haha, you kinda sound like me moviegyrl. I don't remember the name of the first kung fu movie I saw but I remember it was all outdoor locations and all the guys had their shirts off every fight. The fights were good and brutal and I remember everybody was always very dirty. The next saturday night I had my VCR ready and I watched and taped Ninja Hunter. That was the greatest movie that I had ever seen and it only took about a year for that tape to break.

Guest the golden dragon

1973 Rochester New York. My ex wife and I thought we would see some kung fu movies having never seen one we had no idea what to expect.

Holy Kung Fu Movies Batman.

We were both BLOWN AWAY!!!!!:D

The rest is history.

The three movies we saw were.

1. The Big Boss.........Bruce Lee

2. A Dragon Lee period piece. Don't no the title.

3. Five Fingers Of Death............Lo Lie

GD

:rollin

Guest Mr Dragula

Like many here, my initial introduction to Martial Arts films was Enter the Dragon in the mid 80's. Yet it wasn't till some years later when stumbling upon an old beat up vhs of 36th Chamber of Shaolin that I became completely enamored with the genre.

Well my first views were Bruce films, then Bruce Li,but that

did not get me hooked.I was just thinking Bruce Lee movies

in a basic manner.

Then along came the costumes,sets,familiar faces, and of course awesome action in the likes of the Venoms and

"That bald headed monk"(Gordon Liu) that got me truy hooked.

Guest monwobobbo

golden dragon i think you got the year wrong. no dragon lee til later in the 70s. i'm from rochester as well and went to the same show you mentioned. the movie was THE REAL BRUCE LEE so it has to be later.

Guest the golden dragon

I checked Hong Kong Cinemagic Dragon Lee's first film they listed was in 1976.

This makes me wonder what on earth I saw.

Oh well. Thanks for the clarification Killer.

GD

Guest TheDrunkenRabbit

Yup, Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon. These just sparked my interest, but Sho Kosugi and Enter the Ninja created the Monster.

Guest Cesare

I suppose that "Hong Kil Dong" has lit the very first spark... It was one of my most beloved flicks when I was a small kid.

But it was "The Five Venoms" that really made me a fan - y'know, the kind of person who actively searches for all this stuff. Haven't got much further than a little bit of Chang Cheh so far (not that I complain, I've loved those Chang Cheh films I have seen - just got to adore that high homosocial factor in them), but I'm working on it...;-)

Guest WalkOn

I was actually hooked before I actually watch my first kf flic. With all the buz about Chinese Professional (One Armed Boxer), Five Fingers of Death (King Boxer), Fists of Fury (Big Boss) and Chinese Connection (Fist of Fury) I knew I'd be hooked!

My first movie was Duel of the Iron Fist and I never looked back....

Omni Dragon

Well alot of non-film reasons as well if we're talking about the Martial Arts genre as a whole then i'm not sure cos i saw MA in hollywood films as well also i'm nt sure what got me in2 MA.

But 4 asian MA films it's some like this i got in2 Jackie Chan from his cartoon but i was only like 7 so i was a Chan fan & watched Rush hour was 1st & then some others when i was 11 or 12 Jackie's Police story was on tv which i record but i didn't know where i could get these films so it wasn't until the HKL magazine with Drunken Master came out. So i would say Police story & Drunken Master.

TibetanWhiteCrane

No ONE movie...! But the earliest I can remember watching, was WHEELS ON MEALS, KING BOXER and THE 36th CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN!

It started with Mr Nice Guy when it was shown on tv, like 7 years ago. After i saw that one i watched more and more Jackie Chan movies and i began to like his old ones like Snake In The Eagles Shadow. When i saw that one i wanted to find more movies with Hwang Jang Lee and Yuen Siu Tien etc and that's how i got into the genre :)

Guest Yi-Long

I think it was Kickboxer, which I saw at a sleepover at my nephew's birthday. After that I got interested in martial arts, and also martial arts movies. My chinese neighbours next door often had kung fu movies, so occasionally I could borrow a tape, plus a turkish neighbour introduced me to Bruce Lee movies (Fist of Fury and Game of Death).

John Woo's "The Killer" opened the door to the entire genre of Hong Kong film, 36th Chamber locked me in.

Archived