What One Movie Got You Into This Genre

Guest justkungfuman

Guest justkungfuman

Hero Tattoo and Nine Dragons

Can't remember for sure if it was my first but after watching it 20 to 30 times at the theater it's the one that got me into this Genre.

I helped work projector at Theater when I was a kid...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fabhui

Big Boss and Enter The Dragon....Watched them both pretty much back to back when I was 5yrs old thanks to my Grandad!

:hat

Guest Squid Lips

I had seen Enter The Dragon and the Chinese Connection a few times in theaters but all I really cared about was Bruce at that time. Then at 13 years old, I saw in San Francisco there was a double bill of The Young Dragon (Bruce's Fingers) and Seven Commandments Of Kung Fu. I thought I was seeing a new Bruce Lee film but instead found a whole new genre....

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I had seen the Bruce Lee movies and the odd 80's Jackie Chan film on TV as a kid but I have to thank the makers of the film Drive with Mark Dacascos for getting me into this. I saw it on TV here in the UK and thought it was pretty good so I bought the VHS, on there were trailers for Drunken Master, Snake in the Eagles Shadow and New Dragon Gate Inn and I was blown away by the action so I tracked down those films and the rest is history.

Guest FiveSwords

It would have to be "Enter The Dragon" in the late 70s/early 80s. I remember a group of 8-12 year olds standing around talking about how cool "kung fu movies" were and how stupid you were if you never saw ETD. Needless to say, I had to go home and ask mom to rent the VHS immediately. :)

Guest stormybman

Five Fingers of Death! The title alone just screams violence, man!!! This was my intro into the genre and I'm ever so thankful. Shaw Bros. in international releases gave me that and Sacred Knives of Vengeance, (aka The Killer). :hat

"Will you tell me what Teacher died of?..."

Guest monwobobbo

seeing ENTER THE DRAGON at the theater when it came out. that was the coolest movie i'd seen for action at the time.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I first started watching these movies when I was about 11 or 12 on tv on the weekly Blackbelt Theatre feature, can't remember the first one I saw but think it might have been The Savage Five. They showed a wide variety of films from Shaw, Bruce Li, Billy Chong, even a German made movie shot in Madrid starring Christian Anders titled Roots of Evil. Then I got a VCR and saw all of Bruce's films(Even bought Enter the Dragon which was expensive as hell back then, had a Beta vcr) and from then on I was off and running!

Guest kungfusamurai

I don't remember. Just a whole bunch of Shaw Bros and Bruce Li films were playing on a Saturday afternoon back in the day, and I got hooked.

What got me back in the genre hardcore wasn't watching all of the Jackie Chan flicks they started showing here, like Rumble In The Bronx. And it wasn't the Five Venoms & Five Fingers of Death releases either, although I snatched those up quickly when I saw them.

It was the Ground Zero releases of those venoms films, plus Shaolin Vs Lama. I didn't realize the Venoms actors had made so many movies as a group. After that, there was no turning back.

KFS

Guest JustAFan

Back in the late 80's an uncle and cousin let me stay up late and watch Five Fighters From Shaolin. Still love that movie.

Archived