Dragon Dynasty Releases Slowing Down - Need to be Concerned

thelastweaponmaster

thelastweaponmaster

Hi everyone.

I have been a fan of most of the Dragon Dynasty dvd releases and prior to that, the Hong Kong Legends releases; the common factor being Brian White and Bey Logan. And I know people are sometimes not too happy with some of their releases due to the version not being the longest version, lousy subtitles, missing or "added" soundtrack but think of the alternative. If there were no DD, we would be stuck with the barebones, unremastered or edited version of many of these Asian classics, if at all. So if you consider that DD is probably a relatively small organization, I think they are doing great, will continue to support them and am looking forward to their new releases.

My one concern is that they seem to be slowing down in their releases. If you look at the last quarter of 2008, they seem to be only releasing Protege and Police Story 3 late in 2008, which could easily slip into 2009. When DD first started, their releases were fairly constant. Now it seems like you are lucky if they release 1 dvd per month. I would have thought they would have some major releases coming out in time for Christmas, or are they making way for the big summer releases coming out on dvd. Anyway, I hope that I shouldn't be concerned. I still want to keep seeing those DD releases coming, such as Police Story 3, the A Better Tomorrow Trilogy, the Killer, Hapkido, etc.

Bey, any reassurance?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there were no DD, we would be stuck with the barebones, unremastered or edited version of many of these Asian classics, if at all.

I doubt it. I'm sure another company would have picked up the rights to some of these classics, and also would have done a nice job.

Fist of Legend is an all-time classic, so if Miramax/DD hadnt bought the exclusive worldwide rights, we would have had other companies releasing the movie. maybe better, maybe worse. We dont know.

I cant say I like DD much, which is mainly because of the liberties they take when making a disc (added folley, different cuts, etc). I wish asian movies were treated with more respect than they are now. As far as most world-cinema, you usually get the uncut, subbed versions released, but somehow with asian cinema, especially action-cinema, the big shots in Hollywood feel the need to dub, cut and alter them... to 'dumb' them down, so to speak.

TBH it's very simple to do a good job releasing these movies in the west. You acquire the rights, make sure you have a good transfer, original sound, and some good subs... AND YOU DONT ALTER ANYTHING!!!!... and you're done! Just release it! But noooooooooooo.... apparently they cant do that. :S

Morgoth Bauglir

At least they haven't slowed down nearly as much as much as Rarescope has. I don't want to see any of these companies go. It would be devastating for me.

Hi everyone.

I have been a fan of most of the Dragon Dynasty dvd releases and prior to that, the Hong Kong Legends releases; the common factor being Brian White and Bey Logan. And I know people are sometimes not too happy with some of their releases due to the version not being the longest version, lousy subtitles, missing or "added" soundtrack but think of the alternative. If there were no DD, we would be stuck with the barebones, unremastered or edited version of many of these Asian classics, if at all. So if you consider that DD is probably a relatively small organization, I think they are doing great, will continue to support them and am looking forward to their new releases.

My one concern is that they seem to be slowing down in their releases. If you look at the last quarter of 2008, they seem to be only releasing Protege and Police Story 3 late in 2008, which could easily slip into 2009. When DD first started, their releases were fairly constant. Now it seems like you are lucky if they release 1 dvd per month. I would have thought they would have some major releases coming out in time for Christmas, or are they making way for the big summer releases coming out on dvd. Anyway, I hope that I shouldn't be concerned. I still want to keep seeing those DD releases coming, such as Police Story 3, the A Better Tomorrow Trilogy, the Killer, Hapkido, etc.

Bey, any reassurance?

Bey Logan doesn't post on here.

TBH it's very simple to do a good job releasing these movies in the west. You acquire the rights, make sure you have a good transfer, original sound, and some good subs... AND YOU DONT ALTER ANYTHING!!!!... and you're done! Just release it! But noooooooooooo.... apparently they cant do that. :S

Yes i agree...I find it irritating companies feel a need to change something to make it more 'western' rather than leave it as it is and educate the audience with cultural references to things they might not understand.

I prefer subs, i always watch in subs if its possible but i know not everyone is like that. I dont mind dubs as long as they dont try to dumb down the dialogue and pass off a significant cultural item or scene as something stupid

Yes i agree...I find it irritating companies feel a need to change something to make it more 'western' rather than leave it as it is and educate the audience with cultural references to things they might not understand.

I prefer subs, i always watch in subs if its possible but i know not everyone is like that. I dont mind dubs as long as they dont try to dumb down the dialogue and pass off a significant cultural item or scene as something stupid

I dont mind dubs, as long as they keep the option for original language + subs, cause that's the only way I'll watch a movie.

Guest Markgway

I hate dubs, but understand they're required for western markets.

As long as the original langauge mono is included (where applicable) I'm tolerant.

Its kind of a two-way problem. The HK companies mess up, with bad video conversion or remixes. I give DD credit for usually ammending these mistakes, which is more than Image does

Archived