Deadly Knives Vs. Thunderbolt Fist

Shaolin Patriot

Shaolin Patriot

After seeing Heroes of the East and King Boxer, I'm interested in getting another "invading Japanese against innocent Chinese village" film and wondering what people seem to prefer between these two (both directed by Leung Siu Chung).

- Deadly Knives stars Ling Yun, Lily Li and Ching Li. Ling Yun plays a college and kung fu student against the Japanese. I'm not sure if there are any training sequences in the film.

- Thunderbolt Fist stars Chuen Yuen and Shih Szu. Chuen Yuen plays the son of a kung fu instructor who hides away while learning the Thunderbolt Fist technique against the Japanese.

I'm leaning more towards Deadly Knives, since Ling Yun seems a more credible martial artist than Chuen Yuen. When I think of Chuen Yuen, I see the weasel that he played in Vengeance. Which do you prefer and why?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... what you like as far as story, because the action is pretty much similar in both films. I found myself liking The Thunderbolt Fist a tad more simply because of the campiness of James Nam, and his Japanese gang. Chuen Yuen sucks as the hero, and this film could have benefited with Lo Lieh in the role. The ass-whuppin' he takes here, surviving, is typical of Kung Fu bashers of this era.

The Deadly Knives is a disappointment because Ling Yun does not go all-out and be the hero he could have. Lily Li is abused and the film really goes a bit off course dealing with that particular plotline. To me there have been a few bashers better, Chinese Iron Man to name one, and it wasn't even a Shaw production.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I pretty much agree with Dragon, but appreciate Deadly Knives much more, simply because of the character presence of the villians and hero. Thunderbolt Fist is worth owning but Deadly Knives is a cooler flick IMO.

I loved 'em both. I've said it before, but the early 70's martial arts flicks are maybe my favorite era of Shaws---well, maybe not more than mid-late 70's stuff, but it's pretty close. They all felt so gritty, tough and hard-hitting, yet very fresh, as they were really inventing a lot of the subgenres and designing the templates as they went along during this period.

Shaolin Patriot
Both films are Korean co-productions directed by Jang Il-Ho.

Thanks for the update. HK Cinemagic lists the director as Cheung (unless Cheung is an alias for Jang Il-Ho).

I remember liking Deadly Knives ALOT more than Thunderbolt Fist. The movie really took off once he learned to used the "deadly knives." It's been a WHILE since I've seen it. Lily Li was/went crazy if I remember correctly. I also remember the villains being some true blue scumbags.

Could anyone else envision Lo Lieh in the starring roles of these two productions? In a way, they could have been sequels to King Boxer, a continuation of the story of the character he played, Chui Chi Hou.

Archived