Time to start a fight... Absolute #1 Kung Fu film of all...?

Guest stormybman

Guest shaolin student

The choices that Fandom fans have made are all excellent. But I'm going raise the bar, My favorite two are 'Seven Grand Masters' and Mystery of Chess Boxing'.

But if I had to pick one it would probably be 'Mystery of Chessboxing'. These two movies stayed on 42street in New York city for three years straight. People were obssessed with the above named movies. I'm still in awhhh!!!

Guest W Hong

"7 Grandmasters" has been on Time Warner Cable So. California's Video OnDemand ever since about a month ago. Some people have said that it's a Taiwanese kung fu movie, instead of from HK as usual.

Guest theportlykicker

After watching it again recently, I'm gonna have to say The Victim. Just for the absolutely UNREAL choreography that never ceases to amaze me.

Guest sammofan

My #1 all time fave film is Pedicab Driver.

Even if the action was weak it would still be a great film because everything else - story, acting, direction etc. is superb. As it is the fights are brilliant.

Guest Yi Long

I doubt it. I mean, it's almost like they dont release the best movies on purpose.

Drunken Master 2 hasnt had a decent DVD release. FOL neither. Pedicab Driver? Ha! Burning Paradise hasnt had a proper release yet. Blade of Fury hasnt even had a mention.

Tai Chi Master? Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2? Tiger Cage 2? Invincible Armour? Drunken Tai Chi? etc etc etc...

I wonder if we'll ever see these movie on DVD, and if by that time everyone has already moved on to HD formats, so these movies will look like crap when released on normal DVd and watched on a HD screen...

I really wish dumb-ass american studios would stop buying the rights to these movies if they dont intend to release them (properly).There should be a law to ensure cinematic history cant be buried like this. If you buy the rights to a movie, you should release it withing 2 years, uncut, properly, or the rights will be free to be picked up by someone else.

This law would protect the moviemakers, as well as serve the fans...

Guest W Hong
I doubt it. I mean, it's almost like they dont release the best movies on purpose.

Drunken Master 2 hasnt had a decent DVD release. FOL neither. Pedicab Driver? Ha! Burning Paradise hasnt had a proper release yet. Blade of Fury hasnt even had a mention.

Tai Chi Master? Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2? Tiger Cage 2? Invincible Armour? Drunken Tai Chi? etc etc etc...

I thought that "FOL" is coming later this year on DVD from dragon Dynasty? Didn't TCM and FSY 1 and 2 get released on HK import DVD, and maybe re-released as SE's?

I was lucky to see PD during Sammo Hung Night at Hollywood's Egyptian Theatre a few years ago. Sammo was a special guest there, and I think that he brought along HK actor Charlie Chin. Charlie Chin co-starred w/ Sammo in those strange HK movies that had a lot stars in them, usually w/ Jackie and Biao. If I had known at that time that Mr. Chin used to appear in some movies w/ the very beautiful Brigitte Lin, then of course I would've asked Mr. Chin about her. I wonder if that means Sammo tried to get Ms. Lin to appear there, but couldn't.

Anyway, I remember a live chat from a few months ago w/ Warner Home Video. somebody did ask WHV about what they're going to do w/ the HK movies, including "PD", that it has the rights to. WHV said that they're talking about those plans, and might have said that good news was coming soon. If WHV still has the rights to PD and others, then if you want, I can ask them if you're wondering about those particular HK movies.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Please do ask Mr. Wong, I would really love to see Pedicab Driver and whatever other goodies they have get nice remastered w/s DVD releases. Maybe Warner Bros will finally come through for us! :\

I've never quite understood people's ability to pick a single no#1 in any field or genre... Top 10 makes sense to me. Top 5, maybe... No.#1 - no way...:-)

Anyway, I'll pick "Last Hurrah for Chivalry" (right now I feel like it) and I'll hope that when I go to Hell, I'll be allowed to bring more films with me - I'm a good girl, so the 'authorities' may just as well be lenient to me.

"Last Hurrah" has fights interesting both in terms of choreography and cinematography, nice atmosphere, good-looking guys (and girl), interesting villains and really ingratiating main protagonsists. I've read somewhere a fitting description of "Last Hurrah" as "bursting at seams with enthusiasm" - guess that's what renders the movie so charming. I'm not saying it's the best kung fu/wuxia ever made - but it's one of my "number ones".

gravedigger666
I've never quite understood people's ability to pick a single no#1 in any field or genre... Top 10 makes sense to me. Top 5, maybe... No.#1 - no way...:-)

Picking one is usually easy(for me at least),the more you have to choose harder it gets.F E I think finest Lau Kar Leung flick is Dirty Ho but I could not pick top#3.

LHFC is good too because prettiest HK gal Ngai Chau Wah in it:cool:

Very difficult decision......So many classics to choose from, but being a fan of 'Shapes' for me it has to be 'Warriors Two', Fong Hak On's Mantis is awesome, saw it twice in the cinema back in 79/80, countless VHS versions,1 VCD and now 3 DVD versions.

Sammo I salute you!!!!

p.s Honorary mention to 'Prodigal Son' 'Kid From Kwangtung' 'The Victim' and 'Iron Fisted Monk'

Bless:hat

I watched that last night....Amazing movie, Hak On was fantastic as Mantis Fist Lord Mo - inspiring. Truly a legend of a movie

As far as my own.....'The Prodigal Son' - i love Wing Chun

GH0STFACEDKILLR

if Magnificent Butcher had more training scenes, I think it would be #1 for me, but right now its a tie between that and shaolin vs lama

I watched that last night....Amazing movie, Hak On was fantastic as Mantis Fist Lord Mo - inspiring. Truly a legend of a movie

As far as my own.....'The Prodigal Son' - i love Wing Chun

I feel Liang Jia Ren, under Sammo's choreography, excelled in this film, as the Wing Chun master. Warriors Two is an all-time classic, and Liang's performance here should not be overlooked.

I feel Liang Jia Ren, under Sammo's choreography, excelled in this film, as the Wing Chun master. Warriors Two is an all-time classic, and Liang's performance here should not be overlooked.

True, but he was a lot better in Legend of a Fighter.

Fung Hak On is the true highlight of Warriors Two, as possibly one of the best villains ever in terms of kung fu skill and just creepyness. His mantis form is top notch as well.

SamuraiDana

No contest.

8-DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER

Dir.: Lau Kar Leung. Stars: Gordon Liu, Alexander Fu Sheng, Lily Li.

'Nuff said.

In terms of a film I've seen many times (over 2 dozen times) it would have to be FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS. So much creativity there and no doubt had more to do with the parade of Asian ninja movies that followed than the more successful NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN or even that hack work that is ENTER THE NINJA. Whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing is up to one's interpretation.

I'm with ya on that one Dragon, absolutely a fantastic performance by Liang!

Geez, as cliche as this is gonna sound, as boring, if I could only pick one, it would be Enter the Dragon. But maybe that's in part because I remember being a little kid and that being the first kung fu movie I ever saw.