Time to start a fight... Absolute #1 Kung Fu film of all...?

Guest stormybman

Guest stormybman

I want to know what people think... The absolute number one Kung Fu movie of all time, from old skool, to current day...

This is only one film, hands down, if you could take it to hell with you ( we'd meet up and have film fests actually ) you can view over and over, and never tire. C'mon people, let's come up with some titles, and vote for #1. :D

"Now you listen to me... I'll only say it once!... We are NOT sick men!!!!"

Guest Chen Zhen

impossible.

well, at least for me, my #1 fav movie depends 100% on my mood at the moment.....so i wont even bother picking 1 specific title.

Guest stormybman

Well Chen, what film in your collection would you say you've viewed countless times over others? I suppose that would be the one... :rolleyes

"Now you listen to me!... I'll only say it once!!! We are NOT not sick men!!!"

Guest morgoth

I agree with Chen Zhen 100%. My favorite movie is Legend of a Fighter, but sometimes I feel like watchign fist of Legend more. Sometimes I wanna watch The Chinese Connection. And then if I am bored with al that I can watch Chinese Connection 2:D

Guest Yi Long

Fist of Legend, (uncut and subbed version) is my absolute favourite.

Great performance by Jet, awesome action, very good pacing with lots of action scenes, and all the action-scenes are very well done. This is THE example of how a martial arts movie should be. Also, the villains arent just cardboard villains (except maybe Billy Chow, but he is very memorable by being such a gnarling mean powerhouse...which you also need in a good martial arts movie: a memorable main villain).

The movie was brave enough to not just make all chinese people great, and all japanese people bad... but both sides had their own thoughts on the situation, people on both sides had flaws and/or positive traits... etc etc.

I'm so sad that Fist of Legend came right at the end of the new kung-fu boom in the early-mid 90's. I would have loved more movies with this kinda action (wires only used to enhance the effect, instead of for flying) and character depth.

As far as old-skool movies go, I feel 36th Chamber is a classic. But if I have to choose between an uncut, subbed, remastered DVD between FOL, or 36th Chamber... I'd always go for FOL. I can watch FOL over and over again and I keep loving it.

It's a disgrace this movie still hasnt had the DVD release it deserves (thanks to Harvey Weinstein), but hopefully the Dragon Dynasty release will be worth the wait (although it wouldnt surprise me if they @#%$ that release up, like they did with Tom Yum Goong), or by having dubtitles...

I've been avoiding adding to this post cos deciding on 1 film just seems impossible. However after much thought i'm gonna have to say my no.1 film is ............Drunken Master.

Jackie was at his peak, Hwang Jang Lee was superb great action & overall a movie that I enjoy as much now as I did 20 years (& dozens of viewings) ago.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Killers Game (the green jade statuette) I've watched this flick countless times and I never regret it. I just wish it would some day be released remastered. uncut, and in proper format. Also with the original language subbed in english and with the original english dubs as an option. That would be very cool.

Guest stormybman

Well Kung Fu,.....

"Now you listen to me... I'll only say it once!!... We are NOT sick men!!!"

Fist of Fury

2286075_l.gif

Hands down, the BEST Kung Fu movie of all. Sure it has it's flaws, is dated, and lacks a great deal as far as Plot and character development, however, at the time of it's release, who cared about those aspects when audiences craved violence and bloodshed.

Groundbreaking in it's fight choreography, and legendary for Lee's most electrifying fighting performance and charisma, FOF became the standard by which most others measured up to. A film I never tire of watching, even after 100's of viewings, I just love the white hot energy flowing from this movie.

Other films have surpassed it in subsequent years, and as I stated it's certainly dated, but it's #1 in my book!

Guest fabhui

Fist of Fury..EASILY!!

Ok, the sets and whatever might be dated but when it comes to Bruce in action it hasn't dated in the slightest! You only need to look at the fight with Bob Baker..top class stuff!!

Another thing I like about it is Bruce in FoF is pretty much a psycho! When his teacher gets murdered he doesn't go off for half the movie learning some new style that will enable him to beat the Japanese, no! He just goes around to the school and batters all the Japanese students there.

When he finds out who actually poisoned his teacher he first slaughters them and then strings up their battered bodies in the street!!

Best Kung Fu movie of all time ....EASILY! 8)

Guest morgoth

Defintely. I always knew it as Chinese connection. Awesome fight scenes, good story, great music, and the acting is tops. Top 10 for sure.

Guest Chen Zhen

hmm which movies have i watched countless times more than others? ive probably watched the Big Boss more than any other kung fu movie...largely due to the fact that Big Boss was the first kf movie i ever saw/bought.....and i mustve watched it like 20x b4 buying my 2nd movie..so thats not even a fair call.....

im inclined to say The Victim, but its definetely close.

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

@#%$ man its hard enough picking a top 10 or 20 but 1! I would have to say Snake in the Eagles Shadow, HJL is such a bad ass and Jackie ain't too shabby in it either.

Guest kow pad moo

For its trippy visuals, wicked gimmickry, and manic krautrock soundtrack, "Master of the Flying Guillotine" is one movie that I never tire of watching. While it may be a stretch to suggest it's the best martial arts movie ever made, "Master" is nevertheless among the most endlessly entertaining films in the genre for me.

Guest morgoth

Ironfisted monk, I know what you mean about Snake in Eagle's Shadow. First time I saw that i was young and HWang sent a shiver through me. He was so badass the way he held that eagle claw behind his back.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
ive probably watched the Big Boss more than any other kung fu movie...largely due to the fact that Big Boss was the first kf movie i ever saw/bought.....and i mustve watched it like 20x b4 buying my 2nd movie

I was EXACTLY the same as you Chen. My first ever vhs purchase (grade school) was as a Bruce Lee double feature of "Fist Of Fury" and "The Big Boss". I have watched "Fist Of Fury" more than any other film for this reason. I would have to say that for me "Fist Of Fury" was the most influential KF movie. I think that Sammo's "Prodigal Son" is "the greatest traditional martial arts film ever made" (quote from HKL). Every aspect of thast film was at an extremely high level. Choreography, acting, direction, production values, cast, ect..... I would put "The Victim" above "Prodigal Son" if it had been more consistant and had better production values. The action in "The Victim" is simply phenomenal. If we are talking greatest ever I would have to add "8 Diagram Pole Fighter". IMO the best film by one of the greatest genre directors af all time. My most watched Shaw film. If I had to narrow it down to one .......... "Prodigal Son" ......... no "8 Diagram"....... DRAW

Guest Lei Kung

Invincible Armour. Yep, this one has it all - solid story and plot, great fights and choreography, goes into a lot of detail about the styles, has perhaps the most menacing villain ever, incredible showdown at the end, not to mention the flashing red thing next to Hwang Jang Lee's eyes, temples, throat, armpits, and groin. The dub for this one is also my all time favorite. I've watched it countless times and incorporate lines from it into my everyday speech.

Guest Hellswindstaff

Fist Of Fury, first fu flick I ever saw, intensity level off the charts, only the end fight in "The Victim" & "Thundering Mantis" come close for me to that level of intensity.. So what i am trying to say is Fist of Fury number 1!!!

HWS