Drunken Monkey

KyFi

I just picked up the 2003 Shaw pic Drunken Monkey in DDDhouse's weekly cheap sale (for like $3). I had read mixed reviews of it, so I wasn't expecting a great deal, but I was pleasantly surprised.

As far as capturing the old magic---not exactly. Since the old Shaw sets, costume, art design, lighting, cameramen, etc. are not there, it of course doesn't capture the old Shaw "feel". And as far as the fight scenes--it kind of felt like what it was---a bunch of talented old school guys who hadn't really made too many old-school movies in quite a while. In the late 70's, early '80s, these guys (choreographers, actors, stunt men, cameramen) were all at their peak, working so often and on so many produtions. In the case of Drunken Monkey, the fight scenes to me looked like a lot of guys who really knew what they were doing, but were just a bit slow and rusty.

That being said, while the fight scenes weren't up to the best of the old Shaws, they WERE pretty good. I loved the story and setting---reminded me a bit of Legendary Weapons, where the old master has to hide out/retire, until he's pursued by his enemies and he and his young students have to fight. Wu Jing is okay, and I was quite impressed by Shannon Yao Yao--beautiful and sexy, athletic, and a pretty natural actress. It was great seeing Gordon Liu and Chi Kwan Chun fighting again, and of course Pops was particulalry awesome, especially considering his age.

I didn't think this film was a masterpiece, but IMO, it was a very respectable effort from the old-school Shaw stars.

Anybody else?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

KyFi- I think your review/comments nailed it! I always wanted to see more of Pops on-screen, so this was an exciting film for me. Yeah, they're not as fast as they once were, but so what.

SPOILER ALERT

When Pops' character was betrayed and went all mad monkey, jumping up onto that table and into the trees, I was like- cheering and Sh1t. XD

Plus, the Pops vs Gordon fight was great! I also loved Wu Jing's training scenes. It could of used a little less comedy (like most kung fu films), but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

For those of you who are fans of Pops that haven't seen it, do yourselves a favor and check it out. The above post warns you of it's shortcomings, but it's still hella cool.

KyFi- I think your review/comments nailed it! I always wanted to see more of Pops on-screen, so this was an exciting film for me. Yeah, they're not as fast as they once were, but so what.

SPOILER ALERT

When Pops' character was betrayed and went all mad monkey, jumping up onto that table and into the trees, I was like- cheering and Sh1t. XD

Plus, the Pops vs Gordon fight was great! I also loved Wu Jing's training scenes. It could of used a little less comedy (like most kung fu films), but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

For those of you who are fans of Pops that haven't seen it, do yourselves a favor and check it out. The above post warns you of it's shortcomings, but it's still hella cool.

Yeah, that was intense when he was first betrayed! Pops did a great job in the acting department with that, as far as his disbelief and rage. They all looked pretty cool in those long leather duster coats, too.

And I agree---nice to see the old guy with a lot of time in FRONT of the camera.

not the greatest and not the worst. I just did not like the fact that it felt like one of those shows on tvb. Seemed like a made for kung-fu tv show. I agree great to see the legends on screen one more time!

As far as capturing the old magic---not exactly ...

It was great seeing Gordon Liu and Chi Kwan Chun fighting again, and of course Pops was particulalry awesome, especially considering his age....

I didn't think this film was a masterpiece, but IMO, it was a very respectable effort from the old-school Shaw stars.

Watched this four years ago and was disappointed.

Why? Well, you got it right. I was expecting that old Shaw look / feel and it didn't have it.

Anyhow, after reading this thread, I rewatched it last night. This time around, I didn't have the same expectations and actually enjoyed it. Yeah, there's that one exceedingly long chuckle-fu sequence (when the two students are first introduced doing the Monkey drawings) that I had to fast-forward over but to see some of the old crew doing their thing is quite the treat.

LKL had real raw energy and was very intense and CKC is still the man.

Chinatown Kid

I really enjoyed Drunken Monkey and it was great seeing that genuine authentic Kung Fu on screen again, I thought all the harsh criticism was unjustified.

The shift in tone was what i found jarring, but it was great seeing the old crew again with swift choreography and Chi Kuan Chun looked in amazingly good shape for his age.

• Administrator
It is not that bad..it did improve indeed after 2nd viewing which DM3 failed.

True! True! Much better on the second viewing. Just like Teako said- after getting over your "Shaw Brothers" expectations, it's not bad at all.

I feel you on the "TV show feel" mantis FIST. I thought the same thing the first time I watched it.

And I was amazed as well at the shape that Chi Kuan Chun is in. Bravo!

Really hated this movie.

LKL after the 80's really went downhill for me.

The movie had a 'made for tv' feel and the fights were mediocre at best. Wasted talent, and to think Wu Jing didn't do anything special either.

Archived