stroke of death/monkey kung fu/drunk fighter

she

i bought this a couple weeks back and was very pleased.

i dont have the case with me, but it mentions the fight choreographer and the hand exchanges in the fight scenes and HOLY $|-|!+ were they awesome.

best hands ive seen in a flick in a long time.

did anyone here enjoy this one? does anyone know other good movies the FC did?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ching Siu Tung pretty much changed his choreography style when he started doing wushu films in the late 80s and up until now. If you want movies with similar fighting style though, I'd start with 5 Superfighters, which features alot of the same guys. There's also a movie called Boxer From The Temple you could check out. Has some decent fights and an awesome solo performance by Wu Juan Chun, although his character is annoying as hell.

The venoms films is pretty much on par with these movies when it comes to choreography, where you can't really go wrong if you're looking for some good fights.

thundered mantis

The two ones mentioned by Endsang feature very similar choreo than Stroke (Boxer from Temple is great but it has little action compared with the others though). And add The Master Strikes to the lot. There you can see Chin Siu Tung madness to the top.

The Master Strikes is one of the fast shapes pinnacles

Chinatown Kid

The Master Strikes also features one of Casanova Wong's best kicking displays so be sure to check it out. To bad Ching went the wushu route, his fast paced shapes Kung Fu choreography was fantastic and I wish he had done more movies in that style.

The Master Strikes had great action, but the comedy was a bit much for me, and Casanova Wong's character was just annoying until he lost it at the end and started beating up everyone. I figure there was a bit of a language barrier, seeing that his only line was "I understand".. pretty much.

cool ill definitely look into those Endsang and TMantis thank you. when you all say fast shapes what does that mean exactly? was the Venoms done by Ching Siu Tung as well? that ive watched numerous times.

cool ill definitely look into those Endsang and TMantis thank you. when you all say fast shapes what does that mean exactly? was the Venoms done by Ching Siu Tung as well? that ive watched numerous times.

Shapes is the type of kung fu choreography you seen in for instance Monkey Kung Fu, which is often traditional kung fu styles (tiger, crane, monkey etc.) usually with intricate and artistic movements. It's a bit hard to explain, but you you think of it as a counterpart to a "basher" movie, where the fighting is more realistic and hard to distinguish as a style. Fast just means that the choreography is fast paced.

I should have been more specific when I said Venoms movies, as I assumed you were familiar with them. When we refer to venoms movies here, we mean movies that feature the cast from 5 Deadly Venoms, which is their most known movie. They stuck together and did a lot of movies around 1978-1982 which all features excellent choreography, somewhat in the same ally as Monkey Kung Fu. I'll name a couple of my favorites (considering the fighting):

MASKED AVENGERS

LEGEND OF THE FOX

TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

You could check some of those titles out on Youtube. If you like what you see, I have plenty more recommendation with the same style of action. :D

shapes, ok. ive been studying a style of kung fu for almost 11 years now so i think i know what you mean. 'swallow penetrates the forest', 'rooster stands at dawn'...that kind of stuff right? where each pose is an articulate posture. where as say jet li's most recent movies are more bash you up type movies (done with the amazing beauty that is jet li of course), with the occasional chinese-staircase fingers or willow leaf palm for flair?

*edited to add that im not sure jet li is the right person to use for my example and i havent seen the last 2 or 3 jet li movies out. sorry!

ive seen both masked avengers and crippled avengers and they were great so ill check out the other ones you mention. i like that subgenre alot but i also like taoism drunkard type movies with zaney characters and overall general weird/goofyness. not silly goofyness though. like some of sammo hungs stuff is too much. but he's still amazing to watch. fighters 2 for example.

hey thanks endsang i appreciate it!

Archived