Underground - Anyone see it?

The Running Man

The Running Man

I was at the rental store today and saw this title called "Underground" that looked to be some sort of martial arts movie.

Has anyone seen or heard of it?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a 90's Korean movie. It was direct to video in Korea, I believe. I'd avoid. Martial arts films prior to this decade seemed to be firmly entrenched in the exploitation genre in Korea, with the number of sex scenes sometimes outnumbering the fight scenes. The final fight is the best, but its difficult to see whats going on in the dark. The sequel, Killing Game, has better action, but its just as bad in the exploitation department.

The Running Man

I don't think we are talking about the same movie. This movie was supposedly made sometime last year or so and stars several Western MMA fighters and stuntmen I think.

I've heard of the movie...the director recently directed the upcoming "Bodyguard-A New Beginning", produced by our good buddy Mike Leeder. I read this in the recent issue of Asian Cult Cinema at my job in the library.

It's a 90's Korean movie. It was direct to video in Korea, I believe. I'd avoid. Martial arts films prior to this decade seemed to be firmly entrenched in the exploitation genre in Korea, with the number of sex scenes sometimes outnumbering the fight scenes. The final fight is the best, but its difficult to see whats going on in the dark. The sequel, Killing Game, has better action, but its just as bad in the exploitation department.

where can i find these? preferrably the ones with HJL

Interview of the director here : http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=303

;)

taken from the link above...

This new step didn’t come until 2006 though, when, with the help of Mark Strange and Mike Leeder among others, he made Underground on a shoe-string budget. Shot entirely in Britain, the film showcases the best British martial-arts talents in 13 action set pieces set back to back. The impressive production value, as well as a gritty look, a superb music score (performed by a 15-piece orchestra) and 13 deftly choreographed fights speak volume of Cheung’s resourcefulness. The director takes the viewer straight to the final battle royal through various climaxes, dodging the tedious flaws of the pure back-to-back action concept. The relative short running time (87 min.), a never-waning tension and a format blending documentary, Big Brother-like real TV and the tournament film genre helped.

sounds good, wonder if it is.

is it on DVD?

the fights only show a few secs each so it's hard to say if it's any good, I hope it's good but I'll rent it rather than blind purchase...if it ever get's released.

edit: was that Cat from Red Dwarf in the trailer?

Archived