Sherlock Holmes (2009/2010)

AlbertV

I bet you are wondering why I put this title in the modern martial arts cinema section???

Well, Guy Ritchie's soon-to-be shot version of the famous Sir Arthur Conan Doyle tale is going to get the action twist in which Sherlock Holmes himself will be both a bare-knuckle boxer and martial arts expert. As many have already heard, Robert Downey Jr. will be playing the new Sherlock himself.

Both Downey and Ritchie actually practice martial arts themselves, Downey trained in Wing Chun for 5 years while Ritchie recently earned a brown belt in Brazilian Jujitsu. In the film, Sherlock Holmes will be an expert in the fictional art of "Baritsu". Baritsu was created by Doyle himself in Holmes' final story in 1901, The Empty House, so it will give Ritchie and Downey a chance to experiment and play around with the art as it is never really known what "baritsu" was or is to this day.

Source: FirstShowing.net

• Like 1

I've always been curious to see the mainland film Shelock Holmes & The Lady Knight. I've seen it mentioned on rarekungfumovies. There's a vcd of this movie out there somewhere, but I've never had any luck tracking it down.

• Like 1

Okay, here's a little more on the film. Robert Downey Jr.'s Wing Chun teacher, Sifu Eric Oram, is serving as martial arts consultant. Downey recently ended up in the hospital with six stitches to his mouth when he was accidentally hit by giant Robert Maillat, who plays a hulking henchman to the villain. He was knocked the f**k out! LOL But he's okay.

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang

Looks like well actually be getting a 3rd installment to this series in 2021. I think more people will be interested after Downeys success with Iron Man/Avengers. I was always a big fan of these (dislike downeys iron man quite a bit) so Ill be eager to check it out.

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 9/3/2008 at 1:48 AM, AlbertV said:

Downey trained in Wing Chun for 5 years

I would have liked to see Downey fight Donnie in any movie.

• Like 2