Interesting Sze Ma Lung find

Guest Frank Lakatos

Guest Frank Lakatos

last night late night 2 am I saw an IFD movie titled Hands of Death and was suprised to find out that the movie that was cut and pasted into the horrible gweilo footage was a triprouction between Taiwan, Korea, and Thailand. The lead stars were Sze Ma Lung, Lee Jae Young(usully plays a samurai in Korean movies, ie Legendry Strike ad the Elton Chong movies) against a Korean(puffy faced Korean who usually plays a Shaolin abbott or monk), Taiwanese(short skinny mustache barded guy, saw him in some Taiwanese movies), and Thai villains using break neck choreograhy that was just beginning to be used in 85 HK action. Once the action starts, it's non stop RIPPING. You have Chatri doing this insane acrobatic and high octane Thai boxing I never ver thought I'd see him do, Lee Ja Young doing the same with Tae Kwon Do, and Sze Ma Lung ripping apart people with eagle claw shapes, breaking necks in a cave in the Thai jungles, it's like watching an insane early 90's Yuen Bun modern action(which as unhead of a that time especially abroad), people being kicked around and taking insane falls and flips, bloody finishing moves, and this was made in 1985 before Armour of God(Lee Jae Young characterization[not realy chaacter, but the way he acts]) wears nearly an identical outfit to Jackie Chan's clothes in Armour, to the color of Lee Jae Young's cargo pants, to the backpack and the whole set up, probably Chan saw the movie and used it as the basis for his film, since this movie has a female tarzan, a treasure nobody retrieves, cave bats, crossbows, and a cave-in similar to Armour). Now, I'm certain this is where Chan got 3/4 of the Armour idea from. Thanks to a combination of Taiwanese and Korean choreography, nd the talented Thai stunt villains, this is one hell of modern jungle movie. Would love to see it it's original versions Thai, Taiwanese, or Korean. If you see Hands of Death on Telemundo, see it! It's worth it. It's interesting to see the Koreans mouthing English, he omon communication language in this production, and interesting to know that Sze Ma Lung made more movies when his filmographies end in 1982. In many ways, the choreography exhibited in this movie, combining the best to all three poduction's choreography seems to be a prototype for Panna Rittikrai's stuff(there weren't any Thai action movies like this a that time, usually, they used the slow sloppy Thai boxing horegraphy. Panna and the Thai choreographers may have been influenced by this movie) as well as many similarities, from Lee Jae Young's character, his clothes set up, and the production and story set up of the movie to Chan's character, clothes, and production set up in Amour of God, which was made a year later than this movie. The European title to Hands of Death is Royal Warriors.

Check out the stills:

www.kmdb.or.kr/movie/mdimage_list.asp?nation=K&p_dataid=03885

Frank

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

Crazy bananas.

Thanks for the link, but whenever I try to click on the lobbies or the poster image, I get some message in Korean and an 'OK' button that seems to lead to an error message. Is it just me?

Guest Yakuza954

Wow, that sounds really good. I've always loved Sze Ma Lung's Shaking Eagle technique, so to see him doing it (or at least something similar) in the jungle against Thai villains and alongside a Taekwondo kicker is like a dream come true. Hopefully I'll be able to record this when it gets shown again (finally, knowing Spanish has helped my kung fu fandom).

btw, could it be that Royal Warriors is a different edit? I ask because in the IMDB comments, none of the users seem to mention a Chinese martial artist, a Taekwondo fighter or Thai bad guys; one user goes as far as saying he doesn't even remember "anyone actually killing another with their hands". It's possible they were just overzealous ninja fans who weren't paying attention, but God knows how many versions of these films exist.

And oh yeah, I also get the same message when I try to view the pictures. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to be registered with the database to see them.

Guest Frank Lakatos

This movie is wicked, packed with impossibilities of a Korean, Taiwanese, Thai movie made in 1985, it's so far ahead of it's time in terms of action(one of the first high impact HK choreographed Thai movies) and the story with all of these names getting together is great stuff, I man you have high impact Thai and kickboxing and Sze Ma Lung's Eagle Claw speed choreographed and edited like a Jackie Chan movie, all with bloody results and broken necks. The movie feels like something mad in the 90's, the way the Thai stuntmen do theirwork it's like they are doing a Rittikrai movie. I'd like to see it in widescreen though because there are alot of kicks, flips, and falls that are cropped off by the panning. The feel of the movie is great, just like Armour of God, everybody is in their prime and (unlike Armour)having a great time and it shows. I don't know what's going on with the Korean movie database, guess they have so much multimedia their server is overloaded. Forget the IMDB their reviewers are casual and don't care or notice the action quality or know who the stars are, they are just loking at the movie as bad gweilo scenes edited with parts of an unknown jungle and since they don't know anything about the jungle movie and the gweilo scenes are so bad they lose their atention span. These cut and paste movies can only be enjoyed by experienced Kung fu movie fans(with the point of trying to ID the movie edited into the gweilo footage) otherwise there's no point in watching them. Check latenight Telemundo some time. Don't look at the tv listings because they usually aren't listed, they list and show infomercials that are interrupted by movies sometimes. I come back home late night from work that why I am able to see them, this movie kept me up until 4 in the morning. regardless how bad the story and gweilo scenes are, Sze Ma Lung in a modern jungle setting with the top Korean Tae kwon Do actors of the time, the female lead from Golden Ninja warrior and Pink Force Commando with in prime and right on Sorapong Chatri(doing some acrobatic kicking I'd never ever expect from him) and the quality action is worth the hassle. here are so mny similarities to Armour of God, one after the other, such as the cave men ambush that Armour uses. Jackie Chan definately used many of the ideas from this 1985 triproduction. Interesting. The combination of Tawanese and Korean choreography at the time with Thai stuntment is awesome. Sze and the team don't @#%$ around with the choreogrphy, their really forcing break ass which just makes the choreography the better.

Frank

Archived