Crows Zero (Miike) coming from Tokyo Shock

GwaiLoMoFo

I have been really itching to see this Miike flick for a while now. I held off buying any bootlegs or the affordable Malaysian disc. I just read that Tokyo Shock has the US distrib. rights for "Crows Zero". As you know they run one of the WORST websites in the industry, so I counld'nt confirm/find any news on it there. As most of Miike's films released on DVD sell very well, hopefully they wont sit on it too long. I hope they pick up "Like A Dragon" as well, havent heard of any US distr. rights for that one yet.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japan has this strange genre about high schools and gangs that I'm only familiar with through some anime and Japanese movies from the 80's. They're usually about juvenile delinquents with crazy hair styles (mullet, ftw!) and super-hero type fighting abilities. They duke it out among the different gangs in their school or with other schools for dominance. This is one of those movies. Not really a film you'd be able to tell is a Miike film without seeing his name on it beforehand; it doesn't really have any of the typical themes from his other movies. Basically its just a bunch of high school kids beating each other up for the entire runtime, with a bunch of bad hair to boot. Don't get too excited about the action scenes though, they're not really intricate or elaborate and are done more in a comic-book style (complete with the CG). My opinion on this film is kinda lukewarm, didn't really hate it, but didn't really like it either.

I downloaded it and saw it yesterday (i now plan to buy it on DVD if i see it), it's pretty crazy film but i like it :D

It's basically a high school (if you can even call it a school) which is the toughest in Japan, with the students fighting each other to be known as the Conquerer of Suzuran (name of school). Students transfer in from all over Japan to attempt to conquer the school.

and yea as Yakuza said dont expect anything of the fighting, its not supposed to be top notch stuff, barring the CG its just typical fighting you would expect in any high school, street brawl type stuff.

I'm going to try to get hold of Crows Zero II :nerd:

Archived