Last Strike aka Soul Brothers of Kung Fu

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Saw this last night: version I have was taken from a cut German print (LTBX) with English dub added. Judging by the use of the US title (Soul Brothers...) I'm guessing it was released on disc in the US this way. Odd thing is despite being censored (the deaths of Alexander Grand and Li Hai Sheng) it had the original unhappy ending (where Carl Scott dies from hanging). Yet the alternate ending afterward showed the uncut fight (where Ku Feng has his heart pierced) but had the crappy happy ending (check out the grin on Scott's face). Talk about confusing. Clearly a dir's cut would be uncensored and have the death ending. Why the distributor would use a hacked up German print (God, I hate them) is a mystery. Uncut is more important than widescreen. The German print misses out the entire fight between Scott and Ku. Has anyone actually seen a full uncut version and can confirm what goes where? And how are Li and Grand killed?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you watch the old UK vhs (Tiger Strikes Again) I think the deaths of Li and Grand are less censored (I'd have to run it to see) but Li gets the Iron finger in his bicep (I think) and his neck while Grand gets it in the goolies while held upside down:D

This version has the happier ending too but not the heart piercing shot.

Guest Markgway

Thanks. I understand the gory shots were cut for the German version (and it seems to a lesser extent in the UK - don't know what the BBFC cuts were but I'm sure the nunchakus would've gone) but can't figure out why the entire Carl Scott vs Ku Feng fight was removed? It's not particularly violent and really short changes Scott who just appears dead out of nowhere. The "happy" ending was obvious filmed as an afterthought and looks really inept.

Chinatown Kid

Yo Mark, just curious but what did you think of Carl's fighting performance in Sun Dragon and Kung Fu Executioner? I thought he looked fantastic, especially in Sun Dragon, to bad it had that god aweful dub lol.

Guest Markgway

Haven't watched those yet. I have a mini pile to watch, but I'll get to them soon enuff. I hate dubs, but what can you do? The dude dubbing Carl on Last Strike was hilarious, you dig? I managed to get hold of the BBFC cinema cuts for Last Strike (as The Tiger Strikes Again) and they cut quite a lot. Since the VHS submission lists to seperate cuts I'm assuming VPD used the pre-cut cinema version as a master?

Chinatown Kid

lol yeah they tried to dub Carl's voice with that hip 70's lingo ala Jimmy Walker from the sitcom Good Times. Wait till you hear his voice in Sun Dragon, telling people he's gonna put his foot up their ass. :D

Yeah Carl was given some pretty hilarious dubbing voices, but he was a good martial artist. I read somewhere that he runs a camera shop in California, but I don't know the truth behind it.

Yeah Carl was given some pretty hilarious dubbing voices, but he was a good martial artist. I read somewhere that he runs a camera shop in California, but I don't know the truth behind it.

I think Hopkins (who put together the Philly event last year) wanted to get Carl but apparently he doesn't like to talk of his film career (plus he gained a lot of weight). Nothing wrong with that - we all getting old. :( Again, all hearsay. Would be interesting to know what the real story is, though some prefer not to live in the past, so I respect him having his privacy.

I think Hopkins (who put together the Philly event last year) wanted to get Carl but apparently he doesn't like to talk of his film career (plus he gained a lot of weight). Nothing wrong with that - we all getting old. :( Again, all hearsay. Would be interesting to know what the real story is, though some prefer not to live in the past, so I respect him having his privacy.

Yeah it would be nice to hear from Scott. He was one of the few western actors to look good in old-school Kung fu movie. Scott if your reading this please drop us a line! ;)

Chinatown Kid

Carl was a superb Martial Artist, especially his kicks and he looked alot better than Jim Kelly ever did on screen imo. If he wishes to leave his MA films in the past and does not want to associate himself with it anymore then like Teako I can respect and understand that, it's his personal business. But the man has nothing to be ashamed of, he looked marvelous in his 2 films with Billy Chong and should be mighty proud of it, I sure would. Carl trained in Kenpo Karate under Steve Sanders in his youth and got his first bit part in Bruce Lee:The Man/The Myth starring Ho Chung Tao. He also trained in Leopard style Kung Fu during the filming of Sun Dragon.

Morgoth Bauglir

I wonder why Carl Scott didn't do more movies. He gave a great fighting performance in Sun Dragon. And I thought his acting was pretty good. he seems like a nice guy.

i read an inside karate article about 8 years ago. from what i remember (the issue centered on alot of the old BKF members and the like) he still runs a school and hangs some of his movie posters on the wall of his dojo. he looked like he had gained some pounds, but so what. i agree with quite a few people on here that he is still a respected martial artists, and that we would all love to hear about his experiences in HK films

Guest Markgway
Was the old uk inter-ocean vhs cut? i have a dvd-r from that but not watched it in years

What was the title? If it was The Tiger Strikes Again then I would presume it was taken from the heavily censored UK cinema version (as I believe the VPD release was). The main cuts were to remove nunchaku usage and the finger in the heart/throat finale, but a number of other cuts for violence were made that I can't recall off-hand.

from what i remember (the issue centered on alot of the old BKF members and the like) he still runs a school and hangs some of his movie posters on the wall of his dojo. he looked like he had gained some pounds, but so what. i agree with quite a few people on here that he is still a respected martial artists, and that we would all love to hear about his experiences in HK films

I met and spoke with Carl's instructor Steve (Sanders) Muhammad some years ago. Carl Scott is part of the BKF family with the Five Level Method sytem. I also see that he still instructs, certifies advanced level martial artists and holds seminars along with BKF member GM Robert Temple of Los Angeles (area), CA.

You can see pictures of Carl Scott in a couple of BKF Kenpo books by Steve (Sanders) Muhammad and Bishop Donnie Williams such as the 2003 book "BKF Kenpo: History and Advanced Strategic Principles".

You can see the extra pounds, but like teako170 and jiujitsu77 mentioned, so what?! He's still a very talented, respected and sort out martial arts instructor.

I've even called the school and left several messages to reach out to Mr. Scott to put him in touch with Linn Haynes (RIP) to conduct a interview. I never received a returned call :( but I understand and respect his privacy and decision not to discuss his HK film history with the public. I'm happy he's doing well and is still envolved with ma and the community.

Archived