D'Agositini HKL DVD's?

GwaiLoMoFo

What is the deal with these cheap bargain bin looking dvd's that say they are "HKL D'Agostini" versions? They look terrible!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall hearing that there were magazines in the UK that came packaged with select HKL dvd's. The magazines were a series that (I think) detailed the movies or something. I think D'Agostini is the maker of those magazines (at least here in Aus).

Could be wrong though.

• Administrator

I think that Asmo os right. I saw some of these magazines for sale with some HKL DVDs once on eBay and was curious. But their cost was a little too steep for my tastes.

ironfistedmonk

Your right D'Agostini publish various different lines of magazines on film and TV series which come with DVD's such as the HKL ones and also stuff like X-files etc

kingofkungfu2002
4 DVDs came out that weren't released by HKL:

Prison On Fire

Prison On Fire 2

Heroic Trio

Executioners

Plus 'A Chinese Ghost Story 3' and 'Peking Opera Blues'.

kingofkungfu2002
Really?? You sure about Chinese Ghost Story 3 and Peking Opera Blues?

Absolutely positive...I keep checking Ebay for Peking Opera Blues because I missed it in the shops :(

"Odd Couple" was also released in this same fashion.

No, it got a general release unconnected with this company (in addition?).

No, it got a general release unconnected with this company (in addition?).

I know it had a general release, but it also had a D'Agositini release also. Here ya go :)

oddcouplejb3.th.jpg

One Armed Boxer

I think Chen Lung was refering to titles which haven't had a general release and have only come out in the UK as part of the DeAgostini magazine.

I actually collected the first 38 issues of it along with the 2 one-off specials that came out (Jackie Chan: My Story, My Stunts & Bruce Lee: The Intercepting Fist).

Out of the 38 that I have the only titles to come out exclusively as part of the HKL magazine where Heroic Trio, Executioners, A Chinese Ghost Story 3, & Prison On Fire 1 & 2. What issue did Peking Opera Blues come in?

In the end I cancelled my subscription because I was getting too many titles which I already had, but I was always tempted to carry on in the hope that Tiger Cage 1 & 2 would be released through the magazine, as I remember HKL having the rights to them.

The only other two titles released in the ones that I have that wern't part of the HKL catalogue where Enter The Dragon & Bruce Lee: The Intercepting Fist.

kingofkungfu2002
What issue did Peking Opera Blues come in?

Not sure, but it may have been the final issue as I haven't seen any more released after that.

Guest Markgway

Peking Opera Blues was passed uncut by the BBFC in 2005 and A Chinese Ghost Story 3 in 2007 so I guess it's a distinct possibility they slipped out relatively unnoticed.

I'm happy with the Joy Sales POB, but I'd be interested in their editions of The Heroic Trio, and the Prison on Fire films. (I wonder if Part II was still cut?)

Archived