Fellow in black suit coughed and someone died

Guest drycough01

Guest drycough01

Hi

This is a very interesting forum. I've always watched "Kung fu" flicks since the mid 70's on t.v. and actually saw Enter the Dragon at a theater.

Anyway, during the early seventies, maybe middle, the local CBS station showed a series of Kung Fu films on late night. One of them was "The Seven Golden Vampires", another was "Cooking Kung Fu" which really was a very well done and thought out film. (I still have a pretty good recording of it that I made off the t.v. and watch it probably every year or two).

I've lately been buying films on DVD from Amazon, etc. and have been looking for one "series", I don't know how many there were. I think that there were at least two, maybe more.

The storyline was about a fellow that wore a black "suit", I don't remember it being a "Karate" outfit, I remember it being a plain black suit, rather light weight and he also wore a white shirt. There may have been a black narrow neck tie. He had black hair and was always very quiet. He smoked cigarettes.

I "think" that he may have had a lung condition, don't know what it was, but, just before a fight began someone would whisper, "when he coughes, somebody dies".. and if he didn't cough before the fight he just knocked the opponent around.

It really was a very, very intriguing couple of films, and had good music, rather Morriconish, as I remember, but not an obvious rip off...

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the title(s).

Again, this is a nice site, and the people certainly have good conversations.

Thanks for activating my membership, I don't have much to "contibute" but will be here reading stuff a lot.

Drycough01(named for the fellow in the film).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest drycough01

Hey, thanks very much Chinatown Kid, I'm disappointed that it's not a series but am very glad to get the title and I'll order it. They must have shown it a couple of times and it being late and I was grading papers, I'm a retired teacher, I got it mixed up as to a series. Anyway, thanks again.

And this is a great site, I really enjoy reading the discussions, I don't have much info to give, but I'll lurk a lot! :)

dc01

Chinatown Kid

Hey glad I could help. Celestial has remastered these Shaw Brothers films and they look great, look for it under the original title of The Duel.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I'm not sure the film your referring to is The Duel. The Duel is one of my favorite Shaw films. I've watched it many times. The character your referring to is The Rover (David Chiang) and I'm not quite sure I ever remember anyone making the claim that "any time he coughs someone dies". Is it a early 20th century setting? Are there only long knives and hatchets used as weapons?

At any rate dc01 pick up The Duel. You won't be disappointed. Look for it at Amazon as well under the title Duel Of The Shaolin (or Iron) Fists. This would be the english dubbed version. One of the best KF dubbed flicks around. It'll be cheap too. But still then, don't put off buying the Celestial remaster. It's uncut (the dubbed version is cut... drastically) and looks simply striking remastered.

I think the actual flick you were originally looking for is a Roc Tien/Chen Kuan Chun film, Faster Needles Poisonous Darts, or something like that. There's a kinda series of flicks Roc Tien put out (he was called by some character name in it) that for some 'vague' reason reminds me of what your looking for.

Chinatown Kid

Well I know that David Chiang's character of The Rover had a bad cough and in the english dub someone makes the comment that they say that whenever The Rover coughs somebody is going to drop dead. That's the reason I thought it was The Duel, and Chiang does wear a suit with a tie in some scenes as well. Could be another film he's refering to though, please excuse me if I'm wrong. :nerd:

You're not wrong CTK... I just watched this recently and early on when they were venturing out for the massacre, one of the gang mentioed this in the dialogue.

Archived