Terrible Kickers but good upper body skills?

Kwok Choi

my criteria for being a good kicker is to be able to deliver a high sidekick without having to bend so low your hands touch the floor...anybody can do that....i think the greatest kicker of all time has to be chuck norris.

Well a gymnast can pull that off. Some figure skaters too probably. Power, speed and accuracy are all more important than flexibility and the ability to throw high kicks. The higher you kick, the more likely you are to be thrown off balance, unless you have a lot of experience and training on your back.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

my criteria for being a good kicker is to be able to deliver a high sidekick without having to bend so low your hands touch the floor...anybody can do that....i think the greatest kicker of all time has to be chuck norris.

Im not even gonna comment on that!

David Chiang, he could fake the hand techniques in films like The Loot, The Challenger and Shaolin Mantis pretty well but when he tried to fake the kicks it showed. :(

Morgoth Bauglir

I wonder why Chiang didn't try to improve in that area, because he was obviously lacking. Even Ti Lung was a better kicker than Chiang. Most guys improve at some point, like when Kurata started working with Bruce Leung, Pai Paio working with Ron Van Clief. You can see the improvement. Did Chiang ever get better at kicking? Because I didn't notice it.

Supposedly, Tsai Hung/Choi Wang is a Korean. Yet, he wasn't of a top notch bootmaster. Seemed to be more of a brawler. Does anyone know of his martial arts background?

I would like to know too, I didn't even know he was Korean. That's the guy that had the ax blade he swung on the end of the rope in 5 Shaolin Masters and star of The Condemed, correct? If that's the guy he sure was ripped and looked like he was strong, I would have guessed he did a southern Kung Fu style or some type of grappling.

Well a gymnast can pull that off. Some figure skaters too probably. Power, speed and accuracy are all more important than flexibility and the ability to throw high kicks. The higher you kick, the more likely you are to be thrown off balance, unless you have a lot of experience and training on your back.
by your criteria you realize that mean jet li ,flash legs tan,john liu and the likes are not great kickers just mere gymnast,because their kicks lack power and speed....i'm a big fan of Whang In-Sik

by your criteria you realize that mean jet li ,flash legs tan,john liu and the likes are not great kickers just mere gymnast,because their kicks lack power and speed....i'm a big fan of Whang In-Sik

You're really gonna go out and say that Jet Li doesn't have speed? Guess he should change his name then.

Keep in mind that a lot of screen fighters have to slow down for the camera, in order to make the moves look fancy, and kickers are no exception. John Liu and Tan Tao Liang do a lot of static leg work which isn't very applicable in real life, although it proves great leg strength. Don't know that much about John Liu, but considering Flashlegs' background in competitive tae kwon do and onscreen performance, I'd definately say he's got the power. I agree on Whang In-Sik though.. he's got some of the best leg control I've seen in a movie, and he is a true master.

I would like to know too, I didn't even know he was Korean. That's the guy that had the ax blade he swung on the end of the rope in 5 Shaolin Masters and star of The Condemed, correct? If that's the guy he sure was ripped and looked like he was strong, I would have guessed he did a southern Kung Fu style or some type of grappling.

Yup, that's him. Ironically, he played a Korean taekwondo stylist in Joseph Kuos's Triangular Duel. Yet, his kicks weren't that great (or high). Yet, he's a tough fighter and I wouldn't have wanted to mess with him back then. I think someone on here stated a few years back that he and Choi Min-kyu/Martin Chui (from several Dragon Lee movies) are brothers. I don't know if that's true since on HKMDB.com, the characters for their surnames are different.

Thanks for the info, he definately looked like a tough dude for sure. He really had that mean ass look too that made him such a great villain. I liked his performance in Deadly Strike opposite Ho Chung Tao.

Actually, the "ability to throw high kicks" generally implies some power (your legs have to be strong enough to do so). Power, speed and accuracy generally imply the ability to throw a high kick (e.g. if you can't hit your opponent's head then you kinda don't posess the "accuracy" and "power" that is required for such a maneuver). Flexibility is important but, not at the top of the list though (see Chuck Norris and Kieth Vitali).

That's retarded dude! Im no BL fan by any means, but there is no way that he belongs on a list of terrible kickers!
I'd put BL on a kickers' list...he may not win but, he'd be on it. His kicks were some of the fastest and powerful...and he was reportedly very accurate.

You're really gonna go out and say that Jet Li doesn't have speed? Guess he should change his name then.

Keep in mind that a lot of screen fighters have to slow down for the camera, in order to make the moves look fancy, and kickers are no exception. John Liu and Tan Tao Liang do a lot of static leg work which isn't very applicable in real life, although it proves great leg strength. Don't know that much about John Liu, but considering Flashlegs' background in competitive tae kwon do and onscreen performance, I'd definately say he's got the power. I agree on Whang In-Sik though.. he's got some of the best leg control I've seen in a movie, and he is a true master.

I think you missed his point. Also, the above martial artists were usually pretty fast on screen. John Liu (Liu Chung Liang) was Tan Tao Liang's student too. Another great "boot master" was Han Ying...

I always found that Lo Mang seemed to not do alot of kicking when he fought. His upper body was his main focus, and rightly so. He would kick once in awhile but his kicks were definetly not as strong as his arms.

I've seen him throw some pretty good high kicks before...very rarely but, when he did them they were great. His basic front kick is probably the best I've seen (with the exception of Hsia Kuang Li). People have to remember that since HK cinema is from HK-a region of China where flashy KF leg techniques are not common or as appreciated as in other places-many of the martial arts movies from there emphasized the philosophy of hand techniques and close range fighting. There is a reason why they usually had to get TKD people to play kicking kung fu styles...

There are alot of KF stars that are good kickers it's just that they are not most of the time in the same class as superkickers(who usually come from a Korean style background but not always) who have usually based their carear off of skill using the legs. Jimmy Wang Yu and Lo Lieh are two guys that come to mind as not too skilled at kicking and look stiff when doing so and as Morgoth said Chen Sing is another, but there hands are pretty fast. Chan Wei Man's kicks don't look that great on screen either. Wang Lung Wei is great using his hands and looks powerful on screen but I can tell kicking is not his thing, that fight finale in Martial Club is a good example because he was doubled for the high kicks in that scene.

John Chang is a good example...borderline...not known for kicking but, the few he throws are good.

Archived