Terrible Kickers but good upper body skills?

Kwok Choi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Lo Mang had good kicking abilities, but like Don Wong didn't get to kick enough in film or was outshined by better kickers, but I think half the people mentioned here are better kickers then what they're getting credit for imo.

I think Lo Mang had good kicking abilities, but like Don Wong didn't get to kick enough in film or was outshined by better kickers, but I think half the people mentioned here are better kickers then what they're getting credit for imo.

That's the case with Wong Tao as well. He is mainly known through Secret Rivals where his fist would be paired with John Liu's legs. It's quite clear he wasn't allowed to kick with his best ability since they wouldn't be such a complementary duo. Same case when he was paired with Tan Tao Liang in The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious. Wong Tao is/was definately a good kicker though.

Chinatown Kid

Who is Jackie Conn peri? Lu Feng looked great with his Chen Kang palm going up against Lo Mang's Mantis but his kicks never looked to hot from what I remember, Chiang Sheng's acrobatics and weapons where always great but his kicks didn't look like much either. Kuo Chui was the only Venom I saw match Sun Chien kick for kick in the film KWTGA. Wei Pei looked great with the snake style in 5 Venoms but he never had much kicking skill either.

Lu Feng looked great with his Chen Kang palm going up against Lo Mang's Mantis but his kicks never looked to hot from what I remember.

It's actually a bit interesting since, if I remember correctly, he was one of the leg experts to go up against Tino Wong's boxing in Secret Rivals 2. Hard to spot him though.

Lu Feng's character in Brave Archer 2 was also supposed to be a master kicker, but he doesn't really display it there.

No, no, not Jackie Chan, Jackie Conn...

The dude who appears 2mins 33secs into this clip, (billed Jack Con):

Pops... (Lau Kar Liang) and his brother.

totally disagree..if u know about martial arts u know u are wrong..

both are masters in Hung Kuen and in hung kuen we have the no shadow kick (and NO its not the bull**** from the jet li movies where u fly through the air and kick a hundred times)..the kicks in hung kuen may notlook as fancey as in TKD but to put pops or his brother here is just wrong,they are excellent kickersXD

That is kind of the problem with this thread, most of the people named like the Lau's, Law Mong (Lo Meng), Chi Kwan Chun, Ti Lung are all southern stylists and if you know anything about southern kung fu styles (CLF, hung gar, hung fut, wing chun, etc...), the kicking is more about practicality rather than flash. Yeah we might have a shun fung toi (tornado kick) in a set but most kicks are to the mid section and lower gate and thus wouldn't really translate well to the screen.

Effective kicking and looking good when kicking are 2 different things. But in terms of movie presence the ones mentioned definately look better with their arms vs. their legs.

Peace.

OK we mean flash screen kickers or kickers who look good when using kicks on screen and yes Liu Chia Liang,Liu Chia Hui,Hsiao Ho can kick well in this regard even Wong Yue and Lo Mang.Otherwise they would have been on the post that started the thread but as much as I admire and respect Chi Kuan Chun,his screen kicks suck big time regardless of fighting style.

Chinatown Kid
That is kind of the problem with this thread, most of the people named like the Lau's, Law Mong (Lo Meng), Chi Kwan Chun, Ti Lung are all southern stylists and if you know anything about southern kung fu styles (CLF, hung gar, hung fut, wing chun, etc...), the kicking is more about practicality rather than flash. Yeah we might have a shun fung toi (tornado kick) in a set but most kicks are to the mid section and lower gate and thus wouldn't really translate well to the screen.

Effective kicking and looking good when kicking are 2 different things. But in terms of movie presence the ones mentioned definately look better with their arms vs. their legs.

Peace.

That's true Nole and I agree that Kung fu stylists have some great and effective kicks as well. But just because some of the kicks in TKD look fancy doesn't mean they can't be effective when done by a skilled practitioner.;)

totally disagree..if u know about martial arts u know u are wrong..

both are masters in Hung Kuen and in hung kuen we have the no shadow kick (and NO its not the bull**** from the jet li movies where u fly through the air and kick a hundred times)..the kicks in hung kuen may notlook as fancey as in TKD but to put pops or his brother here is just wrong,they are excellent kickersXD

Never doubted their mastery. On screen, their kicks have NOT looked as good as some of the flashier leg fighters. that's all. Don't have a baby. People are entitled to opinions right? I mean there are countless other performers who do not match their skill in REAL MA.

I agree all of the aforementioned are definately not "flashy" kickers by any stretch but I don't think they could be considered "terrible" either. I'll be the first to admit kicking from southern stylists is a bit boring, that being said while their kicks don't draw your attention they don't look bad either just more simple.

P.S. Chinatown Kid - never said some flashy kicks can't be useful, but I have seen countless people attempt kicks they have no business trying.

Chinatown Kid

I'm sorry man, I thought when you said there is difference between effective kicking and kicking that looks good you meant a kick that looks good couldn't be effective, my bad.:nerd: And your right people that can't make high or spinning kicks work shouldn't be trying them in a fight, alot of times someone that has been practicing kicks for years can pop you in the head so quick that you don't know what hit you though. But of course in the street or self defense it's best to keep it simple and go for a less risky low kick, even though TKD is known for it's high kicks we can also kick low just as easy. Kung Fu has some awesome and quick kicks in it I know, when I studied Wing Chun I learned some killer kicks to the knee and inside of the thigh. Choy Lay Fut looks like one hell of a powerful KF style as well altough I've never had any experience in it.:)

TibetanWhiteCrane
Bruce Lee:S

That's retarded dude! Im no BL fan by any means, but there is no way that he belongs on a list of terrible kickers!

gravedigger666
That's retarded dude! Im no BL fan by any means, but there is no way that he belongs on a list of terrible kickers!

you are right....he did not use much legs but when did was very swift and accurate

Bruce Lee:S

Bruce Lee was the FIRST to introduce the "Three Kick Combination" onscreen: sidekick, crescent kick, roundhouse kick, in a manner which flowed with power, speed, and no cut-a-ways; Right leg, Left leg, Right leg. All performed with accuracy, and while actually "touching" the stuntmen, never injuring them. (In fact, he insisted on touching, anything else was a miss... This included kicks to the face.)

See;The Big Boss.

Many who attempted this after Lee, were injured and hurt their fellow co-stars, see Wong Ing Sik, Wong Cheng Li, and a few others. Some didn't want to control their kicks because that can lead to muscle sprains and pulls. Therefore allowing full and partial impact in some cases so the opponent would suffer and not the actor taking action.

gravedigger666

When I was kid did read (quite funny I think) story about Bruce Lee.Producer of some tv-serie interviewed Bruce to casting but he was not convinced about Lee Jun Fan.Bruce started to lose his coolness and there was lamp at ceiling very high.He jumpkicked it to pieces and it did not take long time before contract was signed:D

i think gordon liu is not a great kicker but has oustanding upper body skills.

carter wong is not known for his kicking either.

my criteria for being a good kicker is to be able to deliver a high sidekick without having to bend so low your hands touch the floor...anybody can do that....i think the greatest kicker of all time has to be chuck norris.

Archived