Terrible Kickers but good upper body skills?

Kwok Choi

Ok we've had fun with the super kickers so what about the opposite.Not that they are bad at all but just that their foot work is below par/sucks.We are not disrespecting any of our heroes/heroines here but rather just stating the facts.So speak your mind.I'll go for:

Chi Kuan Chun

Chen Kuan Tai

David Chiang

Wang Yu

Yueh Hua

Chen Hui Min?

Lily Ho......etc

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always found that Lo Mang seemed to not do alot of kicking when he fought. His upper body was his main focus, and rightly so. He would kick once in awhile but his kicks were definetly not as strong as his arms.

I always found that Lo Mang seemed to not do alot of kicking when he fought. His upper body was his main focus, and rightly so. He would kick once in awhile but his kicks were definetly not as strong as his arms.

I strongly disagree. You're right he doesn't kick alot, but he's got both power and flexibility, and he kicks with a purpose instead of throwing his legs around blindly at the opponent, which some "superkickers" tend to do. I've even seen him do decent roundhouse kicks. Think he did one quite well in Killer Army. He even goes up leg to leg against Tony Jam in Daredevils! :D

Same with Chi Kuan Chun, who doesn't kick alot, but is by no means a terrible kicker in my opinion. You could say the same about Gordon Liu I guess, but he compensates with excellent footwork. I can partly agree with Chen Kuan Tai, as his kicks doesn't seem to have a lot of power, but they look quite elegant and he is fairly flexible.

Chen Hui Min was a kickboxer years back and retired undefeated if I remember correctly. He displayed some fine legwork in FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS. Lo Mang could kick when the need arose only his style is predominantly upper body. He also shows his flexibility in 5EN during his big denouement when he performs a jumping split kick as well as other, albeit basic kicks up to that point. As you know, real fighters sometimes don't always make the best 'movie' fighters.

I strongly disagree. You're right he doesn't kick alot, but he's got both power and flexibility, and he kicks with a purpose instead of throwing his legs around blindly at the opponent, which some "superkickers" tend to do. I've even seen him do decent roundhouse kicks. Think he did one quite well in Killer Army. He even goes up leg to leg against Tony Jam in Daredevils! :D

Yes, in the fight at the end with the spearmen and Hsu Wei-chin, the kicker. I often wondered if Lo's rapid fire succession of punches he unloads on at least one unlucky soul in many of his films was inspired by a similar series of punches seen from Bruce Lee.

Morgoth Bauglir

Has Chen Sing been mentioned? I think he has to be the definition of this thread. Great upperbody, but not too good of a kicker. He's not a bad kicker, just not up to par with most kung fu stars. And also James Nam. Good fighter, but there's nothing pretty about his kicks. And I don't include Chen Kuan Tai in this thread. He's not a superkicker or anything, but I always liked his kicking skills a lot.

Chinatown Kid

There are alot of KF stars that are good kickers it's just that they are not most of the time in the same class as superkickers(who usually come from a Korean style background but not always) who have usually based their carear off of skill using the legs. Jimmy Wang Yu and Lo Lieh are two guys that come to mind as not too skilled at kicking and look stiff when doing so and as Morgoth said Chen Sing is another, but there hands are pretty fast. Chan Wei Man's kicks don't look that great on screen either. Wang Lung Wei is great using his hands and looks powerful on screen but I can tell kicking is not his thing, that fight finale in Martial Club is a good example because he was doubled for the high kicks in that scene.

Chan Wei Man's kicks don't look that great on screen either.

I thought his kicks were impressive in 5EN. Lo Lieh wasn't even a real martial artist but just learned moves on set.

Chinatown Kid

Yes V I had forgot about Super Ninja's, his kicks did look good in that. In The Club and Ninja Holocoust they looked like crap though. I've no doubt his kicks are powerful with him being a kickboxer it's just most screen performances I've seen him in he didn't look that great with his legs. Yes Lo Lieh was not a real martial artist and neither was David Chiang but they looked alot better faking it with their hands than their feet lol. I believe faking hand techniues is easier than trying to fake kicking techniques because if you haven't trained extensively it's gonna show. Just my opinion of course. :nerd:

Morgoth Bauglir

Chan Wai Man I can understand why he's on this thread, even though I think he's a great kicker. But Wang Lung Wei I think is an awesome kicker. I see a lot of speed and power in his kicks.

In The Club and Ninja Holocoust they looked like crap though. I've no doubt his kicks are powerful with him being a kickboxer it's just most screen performances I've seen him in he didn't look that great with his legs.

Yeah, in NINJA STRIKE aka NINJA HOLOCAUST (insert other aka here) the opening credits even show some footage of a kickboxing match with him but nothing really is shown in it. I can't even remember him doing much kicks in that movie as it seemed like two different films in one. I remember there being a lot of sex and nudity though XD. Then again, that goes back to how sometimes real fighters don't come off as good movie fighters and I agree with you on the last statement of your above post. Chu Ko and Ricky Cheng were just able to create elaborate choreo for Chen Hui Min (and the others) in 5EN and make him look awesome at the same time.

But Wang Lung Wei I think is an awesome kicker. I see a lot of speed and power in his kicks.

Undercranking can work wonders in these areas. Also, Wang trained in wrestling, yes? Shui Chao, Chinese wrestling style I think. Somebody else may be able to confirm this.

Morgoth Bauglir

He looks like a kickboxer to me. And hav you guys seen Flash Future Kung Fu? I don't remember any undercranking, just awesome kicking from WLW.

Chinatown Kid

Yeah that Ninja Holocaust was one of those Godfrey Ho paste jobs and if not it looked like one lol. That Jerry Trimble guy is a great example of a great real fighter not making a great screenfighter, his kickboxing bouts looked better than his choreographed fights! I don't know if Wang trained in wrestling but that was his style in the Four Assassins, I've seen him do some kickboxing in films but don't know if he trained extensively in that either. I agree morgoth Wang kicks decent for someone that kicking's not his forte, but he doesn't compare to people like Sun Chien, Cas Wong or TTL. I guess maybe I shouldn't have put his name in this thread because he's not really a bad kicker, just not exceptional like the superkickers. :)

Here is an excerpt from a thread here...

You began to study gung fu as a teen. Which styles have you studied and which ones do you prefer?

When I was 15 or 16 , I started to learn martial arts. At first, I learned some kung fu styles such as Hong Quan but soon I found that these Chinese kung fu styles were not the type of martial art I was looking for and, under the influence of OO7 movies, I decided to learn Karate. I felt that Karate is more practical than kung fu, it's simple but powerful.

Afterward, when I first knew about Muay Thai, I was overwhelmed by its powerful skills. I think it is the most powerful martial art of the world. (Even the late Bruce Lee acknowledged that Muay Thai is the best bare-handed fighting style among all.)

Of course, kung fu has various styles and the motions are as beautiful as dancing. You can say that it's a kind of art like Ballet, so kung fu is suitable for movies. If you often practice kung fu you will get a healthy body, but movie is movie. It would be dangerous and fatal if you expect you can imitate and use kung fu in the real fight as you see in the movie. (Of course, this is only my opinion.)

and here is the thread itself...

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6136

Chinatown Kid

Thanks V, I remember reading that thread now. He know doubt has powerful looking techniques like a Karate fighter or kickboxer, I just knew he probably didn't study a predominately kicking style like the Korean arts. Now you don't have to study the Korean arts to be a good kicker as alot of chinese styles have great low kicks and Karate and Savate has great kicking as well. He is right about Muay Thai, it has some of the hardest and most punishing kicks ever, and watch out for those knees and elbows!

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Wang Lung Wei isn't one of the best of the best kickers, like Hwang or Bruce Leung, but just keep in mind what the title of this thread is ;)

Not sure about having poor kicking skills, but Leung Kar Yan has some great upper body skills, some good endurance during fight scenes. I always bring him up; he's just one of my favs.

Sonny Chiba.

Ti Lung.

Chen Sing.

Lee Hoi San

Pops... (Lau Kar Liang) and his brother.

Don Wong.

Chang Yi.

Carter Wong.

Sammo.

Chen Kuai Tai.

Meng Fei.

Lo Lieh.

...................?

• Administrator
Sonny Chiba.

Ti Lung.

Yeah, the Ti Lung thing is weird, because I thought he had trained extensively in Tae Kwon Do. Is that true? I just saw him in two different Ti Lung movies and in both I thought his kicks looked awkward. He has long legs, sO it would seem to be a given he'd look extra cool throwing some feet of fury around... but no. He often bends his leg strangely as he retracts from a strike, and seems of-balance. He's still cool as hell though!

I think Sonny's kicks are more basic than other fighters, but they always look powerful.

What about Wong Tao? I know he's from a tkd backround, but his kicks never did it for me. I prefer him using his upper body more than his lower.

Morgoth Bauglir

Wong Tao didn't kick enough IMO. His jumping kicks always gets me exited. He had some serious hops.

I think Bolo is a good kicker he doesn't have signature kicks but when he uses his legs he uses them quite well.

Ti Lung can Kick;not often but he has powerhouse kicks.

Sonny Chiba's "Karate Kicks" are good in some movies but not Street Fighter (part 1).

I was gonna mention Leung Kar Yan earlier but the thing is he is an excellent imitator.He has some terrific " Jump Kicks " that's why I ruled him out.

Wong Tao didn't kick enough IMO. His jumping kicks always gets me exited. He had some serious hops.

Exactly.

Archived