Japanese Action film industry dead?

GwaiLoMoFo

What the hell ever happened to the Action/MA genre in the Japanese film industry? What was the last good Japanese action film made? The only recent productions I can honestly remember are Azumi, Shinobi, and uhh.......... There have been a few recent low budget Japanese action films produced ("Like A Dragon" and "Crows-0"). But where are the major studio productions with some budget behind them?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ToothbrushFu
Yeah, where's the sequel to YO YO GIRL COP? Or CUTIE HONEY? XD

They actually did a live-action Cutie Honey TV series recently (25 eps from the end of last year), which was a different take on the story. It had surprisingly good fight action for a TV show, as well as cute girls of course. ;) Completely daft and very funny, and it had a good storyline too. There's loads of clips on youtube if you want to have a look.

Yeah what a shame and pretty depressing when you look at the rich film history of Japan following world war 2 up through the exploitation of the 70's. The last good movies to come out of Japan was Yoji Yamada's Samurai trilogy, and while beautifully made throwbacks to the Jidai Geki genre there wasn't a whole lot of action in them.

The film Kuro Obi is proof it`s not finished

came in to say the same thing - Black Belt might be the best karate movie ever made in japan, I really hope it'll inspire some more in a similar vein

The film Kuro Obi is proof it`s not finished

Havent seen that one yet, but cant wait to. But I'd hardly call 1 film in how many years alive and kicking.

Archived