"The Boys in Company C"

daisho2004

For anyone who is a War Buff then you should add this to your collection. This Movie is finally get a legit release. This title will be released on September 2, 2008.

Product Description

Set in 1967, The Boys in Company C follows the lives of five Marine inductees from their training in boot camp through a tour of duty in Vietnam that quickly devolves into a hellish nightmare. Disheartened by futile combat, appalled by the corruption of their South Vietnamese ally, and constantly endangered by the incompetence of their own company commander, the young men discover a possible way out of the war. They are told that if they can defeat a rival soccer team they may spend the rest of their tour playing exhibition games safely behind the lines. But, as might be expected, nothing in Vietnam is as simple as it seems. Andrew Stevens was nominated for a Golden Globe award for his performance as Private Billy Ray Pike. Special Features Include: Audio Commentary by Andrew Stevens, Theatrical Trailer and Photo Gallery of Original Lobby Cards. Widescreen Format (2.35:1)

This review was post by: FrKurt Messick

The parallels between 'Full Metal Jacket' and this film, 'The Boys of Company C', could not fail to be noticed, even without the stand-out performance of R. Lee Ermey in both films as a Drill Instructor (DI), a role he fulfilled in real life prior to his acting career. This was Ermey's first film role, and made him a person to watch; ironically, Ermey is better recognised today that most of the other stars of the film. Stan Shaw gives one of the best performances of his career here as Tyrone Washington, the independent, out-for-himself recruit who, being a natural leader, is tapped to take charge, and finds his sense of duty and teamwork growing stronger as his time in the Marine Corps proceeds.

Other recruits followed include Billy Ray Pike (Andrew Stevens, in one of his early roles), a high school jock depressed because he has lost the glory of those days; Alvin Foster (James Canning), the aspiring writer who is hoping to turn the Marine Corps into a story for fame and fortune; Vinnie Fazio (Michael Lembeck) as a hot-to-trot Marine, looking to survive to the next sexual encounter; and Dave Bisbee, a hippie-turned-marine looking to survive as well.

The plot is realistic -- there's no over-the-top play in either the Boot Camp or the in-country Vietnam scenes. The waste and futility of war comes through clearly without too much political overtones (more like one big snafu), and the run-of-the-mill situations of bureaucratic and leadership less-than-competence contrasts with the ground grunts' hope to live through it all and still carry on a valid mission.

The battle scenes are well choreographed without false glory and without false carnage. The base camp and boot camp situations are true to life in design, as are the situations; officers vs. enlisted, racial conflicts, American vs. Vietnamese. Small touches like letters from home and sub-plots such as the journal writing and drug-smuggling ideas also add to the strength of the film.

In a long tradition of Vietnam films and war films, this ranks among the better ones in many respects.

61JX3whukxL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was produced by Raymond Chow's Golden Harvest.We were showing it's trailer/preview in a theatre I once managed in the 80s but unfortunately the film was pulled out.It was never shown.It has always puzzled me why this happened.The trailer however didn't have much action but perhaps the movie is something else.

Golden Harvest triumphed with H Bomb another non Hong Kong actioner starring Chris Mitchum and Olivia Hussey so Boys In The Company C might be worth checking out.

This was produced by Raymond Chow's Golden Harvest.We were showing it's trailer/preview in a theatre I once managed in the 80s but unfortunately the film was pulled out.It was never shown.It has always puzzled me why this happened.The trailer however didn't have much action but perhaps the movie is something else.

Golden Harvest triumphed with H Bomb another non Hong Kong actioner starring Chris Mitchum and Olivia Hussey so Boys In The Company C might be worth checking out.

A very good Nam flick. You don't hear about this one as much as you do Full Metal, Apoc Now and Platoon.

Didn't know that it was a GH film. Learn something new everyday....

I was going over some DVDs I want to pick up and I forgot about this movie, if you never seen it you really ought to, the Boot Camp alone is worth the viewing.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I remember this being a very good film. Looking forward to it's DVD release.

Archived