The Black Panther starring Chen Sing (1973)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I've been thinking about picking up the German DVD of this film ever since I saw Linn mention it in the other post about Wang Yu's Desperate Chase DVD being released.

Apparently Chen Sing performs a stunt where he does a flying kick through a car windshield travelling at around 40 miles per hour, breaking both of his legs in the process!

I've scoured the net attempting to find some reviews on it which would seal the purchase for me but haven't been able to find anything! Has anyone seen this movie who could offer up some opinions on it?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this in the theatre when it was released.It was a super hit.Had a very long run.If you are into basher type kung fu you won't regret it.The plot is a bit vague as I haven't seen it in yonks but from what I can recall,Chen Sing seemed to be on the run,from what I can't remember,but it looked like he had been framed or wrongly accused of something that bad guy Yasuaki Kurata and his gang masterminded.

As a sort of fugitive Chen Sing had to vindicate himself and the only person who supported him was Nancy Yen? his squeeze but I think she was ambushed along the way at some point and eliminated? after a good fight.Chen Sing went mad after this in seeking revenge.

I'm not sure if all that is correct but I last saw it in the 70s so......I have been after copy of this film for ages on any format and its time I pick up the German DVD.I hope it has an English dub which was the version we saw in cinemas.

ironfistedmonk

If you like bashers then you will love this, I don't think the car was going 40 mph but Chen Sing does drop kick the windshield! Thats one hell of a mental stunt for the big guy, there is also a fight scene on top of a tower block and Nancy Yen is hanging onto a fence for dear life from the very top of this tower block, and I didn't see any wires! (I'm sure there must have been some safety precautions? well, there might not have been, this is Kung Fu cinema after all). The German DVD is mint mate well worth picking up.

One Armed Boxer

Well you guys have sealed it for me, it'll be on my next order! Think I'll make it a double bill along with Knight Errant.

Shall get back to you with what I thought of it once I've given it a viewing!

SlothStyleKungFu

I've always liked it. Hard to go wrong with any Chen Sing basher from the era, especially with Kurata. If I wasnt poor I'd grab that DVD in a second.

I have been after copy of this film for ages on any format and its time I pick up the German DVD.I hope it has an English dub which was the version we saw in cinemas.

it has the Original English Dub with some Scenes subbed in english which were in no other Print than the Italian one (!)

Chinatown Kid

Can anyone offer up a link to a site that sells this or the site's name? I would like to see this film since I enjoyed Chen and Kurata's pairing in The Rage of Wind.

A very decent basher. The fights are fast and furious, as any Chen Sing/Kurata's flick. And the Chen Sing's stunt is astonishing for it's time.

One Armed Boxer

I finally got round to watching both the Black Panther & Knight Errant the other evening (I've been on a bit of a Yasuaki Kurata kick lately...have Legend of a Fighter & Little Godfather waiting in the wings!), and was very impressed with both.

Chen Sing was excellent in Black Panther, some great fights, especially the intense exchanges that take place down the concrete stairwell of the apartment block that Nancy Yen was hanging off.

**(SPOILER) The only thing that let it down for me was the anti-climatic ending...in the middle of a satisfyingly long and furious exchange between Chen Sing & Kurata, the police arrive and simply drag them away from each other mid-fight and 'The End' pops up on screen...wheres the pay off!!! (END OF SPOILER)**

Knight Errant was an entertaining ride all the way through...especially the crazed ending with Wang Yu fighting against the grandmother using his fists, feet, and his taxi! Great battle between himself & Kurata as well, looks like they both took some hefty blows off each other!

After watching the Black Panther I was wondering if anyone has any other Chen Sing recommendations that are set in a similar gritty urban environment?

After watching the Black Panther I was wondering if anyone has any other Chen Sing recommendations that are set in a similar gritty urban environment?

Brutal Boxer. My favorite Chen Sing basher. The fights are intense as hell too.

Archived