Favorite "Miracle Fighters" style of film

GwaiLoMoFo

Im not sure how to categoize these kind of films. Intentionally (with an emphasis on intentionally) over the top, zany, hilarious, and sometimes ridiculous magic fused kung fu classics. Some people cant stand them, to me they are ridiculously entertaining. The plots of these films are almost always non-existant (at least coherantly). But the amount of creativity and imagination that goes into making these films amazes me. The Yuen Clan kinda cornered the market on these films. Some of my all time favs are:

Miracle Fighters (of course)

Drunken Dragon

Shaolin Drunkards

Taoism Drunkard

Drunken Tai Chi (not as ridiculous as the others, but still zany)

Have yet to see "Young Taoism Fighter", but have been keeping my eyes peeled for it. The Joy Sales (VCD) release is oop, but HKFlix says Tai Seng has dist. rights for it. So maybe there is one in the works..?

I find films like Spooky Encounters 1 & 2, and the Mr. Vampire series to be equally entertaining. But not in the same category.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All those titles are cool and funny as heck. I have all five you listed and liked Shaolin Drunkards the most.

As far as "YTF", didn't hear good things about that movie. I was curious myself but when i inquired on the forum way back, i was told it was really no good. I would still like to see some parts of it, curious about the choreography.

Drunken tai Chi w/ Donnie Yen is a favorite. Drunken Dragon was a great Rarescope release & I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often. I have to see Shaolin Drunkards. I'm looking for a subbed copy. Yuen Clan films are crazy as all heck.

Though my primary interest within kungfu movies fluctuates, this style is consistently amongst my favorites.

Young Taoism Fighter, also released as Wu Tang Temple, is certainly zany. The villain includes child's urine and human placenta in his diet to improve his kungfu.

I have never seen Drunken Dragon.

Lord of the Wu Tang also takes a pretty wacky approach to magic.

How is the choreography in that movie? I'm very interested in seeing it, though, couldn't find any good clips on youtube.

Drunken tai Chi w/ Donnie Yen is a favorite. Drunken Dragon was a great Rarescope release & I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often. I have to see Shaolin Drunkards. I'm looking for a subbed copy. Yuen Clan films are crazy as all heck.

Yeah, Drunken Dragon was really good, I have it on the Rarescope release; never even heard of the movie until 2 months ago.

Drunken Tai Chi is cool, but not so crazy as Miracle Fighters. That's why I prefer Drunken Tai Chi.

Drunken Dragon aka Exciting Dragon has great coreography too. And Chiang Sheng as granny is hilarious!!!

My favourite is probably Shaolin Drunkard. That "monster frog" is unforgetable.lol

Archived