Best DVD Company today?

Guest Agent Orange

Guest Agent Orange

It's not just ''my opinion'' there are a lot of DVD companies today in relation to martial arts and

HK Cinema. I have to say after reviewing Image and Soulblade, IVL, Media Blasters, Fox,

Rarescope, and Brentwood that HKL and Dragon Dynasty are the best period. While Fox and

Joysales put up some trully re-mastered prints and even have the optional English and Cantonese

audio tracks, some of them are the new english audio re-dubs.

HKL to me is the best out of all of them and of course it was because someone influential really

had his say in the process right along the stars themselves. Bey logan on almost every HKL

has interviews with the stars, english and cantonese audio tracks including audio commentary.

Dragon Dynasty is Second at this point. While releasing some of the most important films of the

genre for the first time in the US we get a real peek as to how it should be done. Again... it's because

of one man Bey Logan.

Joysales/Fortune star come in third arguably 2nd because of the amount of Important films they

have and still are releasing including a Slew of Angela Mao flicks re-mastered, a ton of Sammo

Hung stuff and even other movies such as The Loot!, The Challenger! on and on and on........

Thanks guys!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ironfistedmonk2003

I think Brian White (I think thats his name) had more to do with HKL and Dragon Dynasty being as good as they are/were than Bey Logan.

Joy Sales lose mega points in my eyes for releasing stuff on VCD only and not including English subtitles on a lot of those releases. If they had put out DVD's with subs I'd have snapped there hands off getting a copy. I hate VCD's, the crappiest cheap ass media out there

Guest killer meteor

TBH, HKL is quantity over quality in many cases. Cropping and distorting the image, using the wrong language, failing to include the original mono track in many cases. Dragon Dynasty so far is a bit better - I like their Shaw releases but their Fortune Star titles have been spotty

HKL used to be good but just lately have been poor. All we've had this year have been the Jackie Lo Wei movies with little or no extras. The pre orders page on the website only shows city of violence & we haven't had anything exciting from them for ages including DM & SITES platinums which were first mentioned years ago.

Guest stormybman

I think Joy Sales was first as far as the film quality is concerned, and now i can see the first few releases from Dragon Dynasty look promising: although, personally I miss my

Dolby Digital 5.1 Shaws, even though some "purists" prefer

mono mixes. Give us both damnit!!

"Will you tell me what Teacher died of..?!"

Guest killer meteor

I can't understand why you'd want the Shaw remixes. Did you see the mess they made of Deadly Duo, Chinese Boxer and Legendary Weapons? How anyone can support that is beyond me

Guest stormybman

You are entitled to like what you like... So am I.

What's the problem? If the companies give us alternatives, everyone can find what they'd like to choose...

"Do we fight alone..?! Or, all together?!"

Guest chen lung
What's the problem? If the companies give us alternatives, everyone can find what they'd like to choose...

That's the problem, there are no alternatives. So we're stuck with the VCD, or a DVD with no subtitles. It gets worse that that...

I wouldn't mind a good remix, but they stink badly. 'The Chinese Boxer' is the best example. I've not seen the whole thing, but I watched a comparison between the mono (VCD) and 5.1 (DVD) of the opening scene and the music/sound effects have been COMPLETELY redone. I have them on my HD if you wanted to listen to them (links to them on the ADG have been taken off). Might upload them to Youtube sometime (with credit to the original creators of the clips of course).

Here's a dedicated thread to the subject.

Guest stormybman

when I listen to these films on my system, it still rates head and shoulders above my old VHS versions, so I still say so what? If they offered you a choice, you could then listen to your beloved mono tracks.

>:

Guest TheDrunkenRabbit

Joy Sales would be like the new Celestial with all the rares they are releasing, but using VCD's rather than DVDs? Hell even cheap DVDs would be better. I'd buy the lot. When I pop in an Angela Mao VCD and think how much better it would be on DVD, it pisses me off! VCD’s are good for watching a film you are not sure you want in your DVD collection before you buy it, or put it in your ipod, or sample a movie for promotional reasons, or DVD has not been invented yet in your universe, or there is absolutely no other version in existence. I’ll still buy a movie I really want to see, but fell like a crack head who’s been given a taste only to fein for the real thing.:rolleyes

Archived