Rodan/War Of The Gargantuas released 9/9/08

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I've been waiting for Rodan to be remastered. Arguably the best Toho monster score by Akira Ifukube. Excellent horror film atmosphere. Cannot wait!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I kept forgetting the release date, and would look for this set everytime I went in Best Buy. So thanks for the reminder.

I'm a sucker for those crazy Gargantuas. Yeah I got to admit it. I used to love this movie so much when I was a kid (and still think it's fun). I always remember when the green one eats the woman, then spits out her dress and her hair (scalp?). LOL

Back in the day, when I was about 8 or 9, I saw the movie poster for the Paul Naschy flick FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR and it depicted a creature that looked like the Gargantuas. It was holding a hot buxom blonde, so I knew it was a giant, but... perhaps this was pre-radiation bombardment? I was so excited to think this was another movie with the same creatures from WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS (got this idea from the crossovers and sequels to Universal's horror films)! After that I would always search the new TV Guide hoping to see that title. When it was finally aired, I think by Dr. Shock on Chiller Theater, I remember being very happy that Paul Naschy was a werewolf (my favorite monster), but disappointed that he never wound up fighting one or both of the Gargantuas!XD

Now that would have made a good drive-in picture!

RODAN was remastered and released in Japan several years ago. I assume this will be the same beautiful master. There's quite a bit of extra violence in the Japanese version, too. The restoration makes the wires painfully more apparent than ever before, though.

The Japanese version of GARGANTUAS (Japanese title translates to FRANKENSTEIN MONSTERS: SANDA VS GAIRA) curiously eliminates the dress hitting the ground after the green creature spits it out. Also, both versions feature numerous alternate footage of the two brother monsters battling each other as well as other alternate footage. The US version eliminated a key scene that linked this film to the previous FRANKENSTEIN VS BARAGON aka FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD. The music score is also different on both films. The Japanese dvd also features outtakes showing one of the suit actors taking a break with his mask off and the model military hardware not doing what it's supposed to do.

I grew up on all those Godzilla Monsters movies loved them all, and "venoms5" I remember that scene in "WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS" when he ate that woman scared me back then. And "KUNG FU BOB" I loved all those low budget horror movies on Chiller Theater. Boy sucks to get old...lol

Stoked for Gargantuas, for some reason they played the hell out of this movie when I was growing up, not that I'm complaining, I watched it every time:nerd: Been sometime since I've seen it or Rodan for that matter, can't wait to see both of them again.

I haven't heard anything about these movies since the early-mid 90's when Sci-Fi or TNT played them along with other monster movies. It's awesome that they are being remastered.

Is he named "Radon" in Japan?

Yes. The name was changed for American consumption. The same for "Mosura" (Mothra) and of course, "Gojira" (Godzilla) to name two others.

Rented this last weekend, it's been 25+ years since I've seen these movies, was dissapointed with war of the gargantuas, for some reason I remember more action in it, still doesn't mean I didn't love every moment though. Somewhere I had to ask just what is it about little toy tanks firing on a man in a rubber suit that I find so enjoyable.

The doc - bringing godzilla down to size - was very informative and worth the purchase alone, they did a great job of going back over the years and showing how they made the sets and went through the generations of people that made these movies, very inspiring. It more than answered the question of why I love these movies so much.

Archived