Opium And The Kung Fu Master

bobo

yo---OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER and LIFE GAMBLE are now listed on amazon. release date NOV 11th/2008---regular DVD and BLU RAY. no cover art yet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omfg!!!! Cant Wait, The First Shaw Bros Movies On Bluray!!!! It'd Be Sweet If They Included Some English Dubs Too :D

Isn't it BCI releasing them?

What region are the Blu Ray's (if it's been established)? I'm in Australia so I hope they're all region.

It looks like Funimation is also releasing this. There is a preorder up on Amazon with an April 27th release date.

I wander how/if it will differ from the original BCI release?

It looks like Funimation is also releasing this. There is a preorder up on Amazon with an April 27th release date.

I wander how/if it will differ from the original BCI release?

Probably no blu-ray :sad: Aside from that, in regards to the DVD itself, they'll probably change the menus and try to make it connect more with the other discs.

Hi,

Did Funimation include both Mandarin & Cantonese tracks on their DVD? The box only says Mandarin. I think the previous DVD's had both.

Thanks!

David Rees

Dont know who picked there titles to release but Life Gamble is a terrible movie there are so many better titles that could have been released....:squigglemouth:

Morgoth Bauglir

I liked Life Gamble. It kept me interested all the way through. Now Journey of the Doomed, that's a terrible movie.

Wow, looks like the Funimation DVD of Opium is in Mandarin. I can't believe they didn't include Cantonese.

Morgoth Bauglir

It doesn't look like they included any of the special features either from the BCI disc. At least when I saw it at the store I didn't see any special features listed. I wonder if this has to do with paying for the rights to the special features and Cantonese track, or if it's just laziness.

OldPangYau

I still don't know how that happened... they got it right with HK Godfather and managed to have the proper Cantonese track, so why they'd only put Mandarin on OATKFM (especially 1984 film, in which most films were Cantonese) when they also had a Cantonese option, makes no sense.

I guess the BCI DVD & BR will be collectibles now. I don't know how that happened. BCI put out a fine DVD & they screwed it up! All they had to do was reissue it. Maybe their contract didn't allow for it, but I think it's more like they didn't know which one was correct.

OldPangYau
I guess the BCI DVD & BR will be collectibles now. I don't know how that happened. BCI put out a fine DVD & they screwed it up! All they had to do was reissue it. Maybe their contract didn't allow for it, but I think it's more like they didn't know which one was correct.

Well, I have my blu-ray, so I won't feel so bad about collecting the Funimation DVDs... never did get the BCI DVD of Life Gamble though. However, it seems like you need both of those to be complete: BCI for the extras, Funimation for the English dub.

This is starting to remind me of the "glory days" of HKL when it seemed like they were constantly releasing movies in the wrong Chinese language. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master in Mandarin when they should be Cantonese and Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon in Cantonese when they should be Mandarin. Oy.

I am always confused about these original language debates. Weren't all SB films shot without sound and then foleyed and dubbed into many languages? I may be missing the point or wrong.

Archived