Can we get a list of R1 Shaws "done right"?

Kung Foolery

Kung Foolery

Image, DD, Media Blasters, etc. have been releasing films for awhile now, as we all know.

All of them get discussed at great length on here and it seems most of them have a serious mistake or two, i.e. bad picture (interlacing, etc.), bad audio, bad subs, etc.

However a few have seemed to have gotten it right under KFC's expectations, such as Challenge Of The Masters.

Rather than find every thread about every release, could someone provide a list of the dvds released by said companies which have been done properly?

My biggest issue would be that of video quality. I understand a few of these earlier Image dvds are very poor?

Im interested in getting these (I have some) and I would like to make sure Im not going to be totally disappointed with bad video (even audio and subs, but to a much lesser extent).

Or maybe it would be easier to compile a list of the ones to avoid?

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I don't know man. I already see nothing but bad things for this thread. There's so much talk about non anamorphic and progressive and stuff like that, I doubt you'll get more than like 5 DVDs that everyone can agree is a perfect DVD. I always get lost in these threads, so I thought I would come on here before I get lost and share my thoughts. :nerd: I find the pic quality on the Image DVDs just fine. The only one where I noticed problems was in Wandering Swordsman The picture seems to bounce around when the camera moves. So I don't know. If you're not picky then Wandering Swordsman is the only one I would give a warning about from the companies you mentioned. There's another company called Well Go USA. The only DVD of theirs I have seen is Brothers Five. I liked the action in that movie a lot. The problem is that they use the 5.1 track and it has those added crappy sound effects. Luckily the sound effects seem to get more tolerable as the movie goes on.

I would find this information useful as well

I wish a company like DD or something would pick up lot of the Shaw titles and release them...I wouldnt care if they didnt come wit any extras jus that they have good picture quality and good subtitles

well i own a whole bunch of the shaw bros R1 dvds and i have to say all of dragon dynasty's releases so far see great and better than i'd expected, the audio is the original 2.0 chinese and english dub except for come drink with me where they had to create their own 5.1 english dub but you can still choose to the chinese 5.1 or 2.0 audio. image however has been releasing movies that see ok, id recommend the magic blade from them and deadly breaking sword since they see good, have the original 2.0 mono english and chinese dub, legendary weapons of china from image sees good too but could've been better since its a bit too bright and the colors look "unstriking" lol. tokyo shock has done a great job with their shaw bros movies,giving us the hd masters of the film and offering a whole bunch of audio options from 5.1 to 2.0 original chinese and english dubs. well go usa released two movies so far, two champions of shaolin and brothers 5, i own two champions of shaolin and it is the most disappointing release so far for R1 shaw bros film because i think the company did a bad transfer, the colors are really red and the films brightness is a bit up but its not unwatchable and it is remastered, just not up to standards with the other companies. however, please do avoid panmedias aka red suns releases because they're bootlegs and they're the reason why we fans dont get these legit shaw bros releases sooner and plus all they do is steal the R3's video and put the vhs english dub over it to make it seemed as if they did all of the handy work. overall, dragon dynasty and tokyo shock have released the shaw bros films in excellent quality with extra goodies, image is ok but they have decent video with original audio and some rare films, well go usa just started and need to improve because two champions of shaolin was badly transfered, and avoid panmedia because of their bootleg antics that keep the legit and rightfully treated ones away from being released to us fans ;)

oh and if you're wanting a list, ill give u a list of the R1 shaw bros dvds i own and you can just ask which ones see good and i can help you out lol

also ill update the list when i get home and go through my "inventory" lol

Dragon Dynasty

I have all of them

Tokyo Shock:

Heroes Two

The Master

Image:

Heaven and Hell

Legendary Weapons of China

The Magic Blade

Well Go USA:

Two Champions of Shaolin

Killer Meteor

Removing the issue of subtitles - one area most companies can improve on if they didn't rely on the Celestial subs

Dragon Dynasty's 36th Chamber is fine. Mandarin and English mono, beautiful picture. Cantonese audio is redubbed in one place, but this is a Mandarin film. King Boxer R1 has one mild glitch, so I got DD's Australian DVD

Although the English dubs suffer from badly added new foley, the Mandarin presentations on DD's One Armed Swordsman and Heroes of the East are fine

MB's Heroes Two should have been progressive, but otherwise a good DVD. The Master should depend on you or your monitor's tolerance for non-anamorphic

Its the Image stuff that's screwed royally. I keep hoping they will change their ways and do genuine NTSC. The horribly blurred picture caused by the inncorrect standards conversion is unnacceptable for DVD

The subs probably won't be improved on for allready released DVD - not the same as can't be improved - so in the cases of 36th Chamber, King Boxer, One Armed Swordsman, Heroes of the East and some others, this is it!

Kung Foolery

Interesting. Thanks for the info thus far.

I never realized there was added foley to the engish dubs!

Killer Meteor
Interesting. Thanks for the info thus far.

I never realized there was added foley to the engish dubs!

I have no idea why they do it. Heroes of the East was fairly mild, but OAS was very irritating!

Morgoth Bauglir

Wait a sec. I knew I would get lost in this thread quickly. Are you guys talking about the old or new ENglish dubs? Because I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the old English dubs. To me at least:p

Wait a sec. I knew I would get lost in this thread quickly. Are you guys talking about the old or new ENglish dubs? Because I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the old English dubs. To me at least:p

I don't recall DD's OAS having two dubs (orig and new)

Killer Meteor

One Armed Swordsman has the original dub. However, some of the fight foley has been replaced with new, and rather distracting, sound FX

So you're assurance is in vain

I've liked all the DD stuff, pretty much. The Image discs have been alright, but I'm not impressed by the films themselves. Four or five put me right to sleep. In Canada, they're way over priced at 22 bucks + a disc. I also liked the MB discs so far. Nice extras, picture quality is fine, good price. Haven't seen a well go disc yet. If they are 8 bucks, I'll buy them all & even double dip. If they're more, I'll stick with the R3 release.

Archived