What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

masterofoneinchpunch

This is from their first LP. I've been listening to their (Wes Borland's :)) latest. The NIN influence is obvious much like the Ween influence was obvious for his side project bigdumbface.

HgDkQmsWgp8

Secret Executioner

Been listening to a big lot of metal lately: Helloween, Within Temptation and Stratovarius notably.

Also got a new Yes LP (Big Generator) that I haven't had time to listen to yet.

And right now I'm listening to what I consider one of the greatest albums ever made:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
And right now I'm listening to what I consider one of the greatest albums ever made:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly

I really dig that album. I've got the remastered CD release of it that has the holographic cover. :nerd: Have you seen it?

Yesterday my son and I were listening to the station Classic Vinyl on Sirius radio and the played Fresh Air by San Francisco psychedelic rock band Quicksilver Messenger Service. He really dug it and asked if I had any of their music. Indeed I do- I'm a big fan. So today we listened to a bunch of their music.

Right now I'm listening to Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. Talk about classic! :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner
I really dig that album. I've got the remastered CD release of it that has the holographic cover. :nerd: Have you seen it?

I recently bought that release. The sound is quite impressive, great job on that remaster (for once a "remastered" release is good...). Nice bonus tracks too; I love the louder bass guitar on the live version

All I had before that was the vinyl release with the grey and black cover. I must have played this one 1000s of times since I got it 5 or so years ago. :nerd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I recently bought that release. The sound is quite impressive, great job on that remaster (for once a "remastered" release is good...). Nice bonus tracks too; I love the louder bass guitar on the live version

All I had before that was the vinyl release with the grey and black cover. I must have played this one 1000s of times since I got it 5 or so years ago. :nerd:

It does sound fantastic!

Do you know the story of the song In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? I heard that the song was originally called In The Garden of Eden, and that when the studio engineers were having technical problems the band went across the street to a pub. They kept checking back, but the problems were still being worked out. By the time they were ready to record, singer Doug Ingle was drunk, and he slurred the words as he sang. Afterwards they thought it sounded cool, so they changed the title to phonetically spell Doug's "altered" pronunciations, and kept that take. :tongue:

For those unfamiliar, you may have heard the song on the radio at it's edited 2 minute, 52 second length. The original, unedited 17 minute, 5 second recording fills the whole second side of the original album, and features some truly impressive guitar playing by Erik Brann, and outstanding drum work from Ron Bushy. This song is a psychedelic rock milestone!

Godfrey Ho worshipper, I don't know if you're familiar with them, but The Chambers Brothers had a similar situation with another incredible psychedelic rock tune called Time Has Come Today. It's kind of strange, because they were a soul music group, and this song stands out from the album's other tracks like a tie-dye thong in a sea of tightey whiteys! The album version was 11:06, but was released as a radio edit running 2:37. The song has been used in a lot of films including the horror film BAD DREAMS (1988), THE DOORS (1991), GIRL, INTERRUPTED (1999), REMEMBER THE TITANS (2000), and a bunch of TV shows as well.

Secret Executioner

I had heard Doug Ingle was actually stoned/on LSD when recording the vocals but I guess he may as well have been drunk; it doesn't change the fact that it's a FREAKING MASTERPIECE. :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner
Godfrey Ho worshipper, I don't know if you're familiar with them, but The Chambers Brothers had a similar situation with another incredible psychedelic rock tune called Time Has Come Today. It's kind of strange, because they were a soul music group, and this song stands out from the album's other tracks like a tie-dye thong in a sea of tightey whiteys! The album version was 11:06, but was released as a radio edit running 2:37. The song has been used in a lot of films including the horror film BAD DREAMS (1988), THE DOORS (1991), GIRL, INTERRUPTED (1999), REMEMBER THE TITANS (2000), and a bunch of TV shows as well.

Never heard of that band but I'll try and check this one out.

Speaking of really long songs here are some others I really like:

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant (18:34)

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part One (13:35, entirely instrumental)

King Crimson - Starless (12:16, one of the most beautiful songs by King Crimson and probably my favorite by this band)

Iron Maiden - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (13:34, based on Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem)

Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo (13:20, entirely instrumental)

Frank Zappa - The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary (20:33)

Frank Zappa - Billy The Mountain (24:47 and it was edited to fit on one side of the LP :eek: )

Lots of 80s classics (Dan Hartman, Daryl Hall, MJ, Glenn Medeiros, Go West, Johnny Hates Jazz, Sade, you name it). Can't get enough of it!

Yep, listening to a wwf entrance theme!! Feeling a little nostalgic this sat morn! When I watched wrestling, I loved these guys!

4aS1Xfb6ckE

Skepparkrans

It have been forever since i listened to it, i mostly listen to dancehall and reggae, but i have been listen to ALOT of RZA and Wu Tang Clan lately.

CE3hb__ylG4

oneskyforall

I went with my girlfriend to see this band a few weeks ago and now I am hooked. I liked them before, but seeing them live really made me enjoy the albums way more.

Their live show was amazing. The band's presence is so strong, in these videos it looks kinda corny, but I assure you live was a way different feeling.

This video is censored but still NSFW:

gkBt7yLXyDk

Here is a pretty funny music video, like a satire of 60-70's TV religious videos:

vyQZ13jobIY

To quote Maj. Grant from Die Hard 2...... "I've seen enough snow to last me a fucking lifetime!"

Seriously.... it never fucking ends!!!! We're writing March 20, and it's snowing like it's fucking christmas! Where is that global warming everybody is talking about?

Even for Denmark, this is ridiculous!

Im guessing Christmas is over by now, whats the weather like now TWC?

shaolin swords

tragedy one of my fav rza songs of all time :nerd:

It have been forever since i listened to it, i mostly listen to dancehall and reggae, but i have been listen to ALOT of RZA and Wu Tang Clan lately.

CE3hb__ylG4

masterofoneinchpunch
lol, how funny. its 80 something here in southern CA, and Im wearing jeans, mabe we ought to switch?:wink:

Also 80ish north of you in Modesto. I am wearing shorts...

shaolindogpaw

French Montana: Excuse My French

It started out decent but quickly lost itself in the repetitive themes of today's hip hop. Guns, Hoes, Money, Niggahs, riding on enemies, the usual.

Listening right now to Redd Kross' comeback album, Researching the Blues. Definitely college-indie rock style typical of the McDonald Brothers and guys,,,the title track kicks butt and love the video for Stay Away from Downtown, where they dress up like a KISS-like group.

6teoeHq6pig

• Administrator

I've been on a 1960's British Invasion blues kick lately. The CDs that've been getting the most play are Paul Butterfield Blues Band, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton, Taj Mahal, and the 2 disc Deluxe Edition of The Who's My Generation, which features some truly killer bonus tracks on it like The Good's Gone.

Also been listening to Alabama Shakes. Any of you hip to this band? The lead singer's voice is so distinct and mesmerizing. She sounds like some far out instrument that you've never heard before. Great stuff.

On Christmas my Dad showed us this footage of a little boy (I think he was 8 at the time) playing jaw-dropping blues guitar with Buddy Guy. The kid's name is Quinn Sullivan. I think he's a teenager now. I've got pick up his stuff on CD.