What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

I've realized that I don't actually like Death Metal. Maybe its because I grew up on thrash and I've gotten used to a more conventional song structure. I do like some of Napalm Death and Carcass's death metal period albums but I can't listen to most of death metal bands.

That being said one album that I go back to a lot is Carcass's Heartwork. Fans consider it death metal but I see it as more of a thrash metal album with a few blast beats and some crazy twists and turns to keep it interesting. Every song is great and it works well as a cohesive album. Metalheads check it out!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVH2RuI41Nr10uxfodxcnY1ox8BXtukQ1-11kEPntAbFCZotQ7hA

masterofoneinchpunch
...That being said one album that I go back to a lot is Carcass's Heartwork. Fans consider it death metal but I see it as more of a thrash metal album with a few blast beats and some crazy twists and turns to keep it interesting. Every song is great and it works well as a cohesive album. Metalheads check it out!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVH2RuI41Nr10uxfodxcnY1ox8BXtukQ1-11kEPntAbFCZotQ7hA

Yeah I've listened to this quite a few times and I'll second it. I just one day bought a couple of CDs off ebay that were metal and it was one of them. I was surprised by how much I liked it (though it is the only Carcass album I have) I would not call this traditional death metal. For me the definition of death metal usually has to do with the voice (stereotypically would be the Cannibal Corpse sound though they consider themselves gore metal) and sometimes that can be the issue with me, especially if it isn't broken up with a black metal sound or a clean sound like with Opeth. I'm also a big Opeth fan.

RE: When the Kite String Pops, one of my favorite albums of all-time. Weird that the Acid Bath comment finally got a couple of mentions now, but better late than never. I liked the Dax Riggs later output more than Goatwhore. I really like Riggs late at night while driving. Goatwhore is fun at the gym though (through my headphones of course) :D.

For me when the weather is bad and cold I tend to listen to more a eclectic group of music and a lot of new wave, post punk stuff like Depeche Mode, Electronic, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Cracker. When it gets warm, then my tastes go back to mostly rock/metal. I'm a Trivium, Dir En Grey, Superjoint Ritual, Down, Devildriver, NIN fan as well, but I've also been into Black Light Burns (just picked up their latest) and currently listening to the new wave band Sad Lovers and Giants (so far I feel the sound is a bit derivative of Joy Division and The Smiths).

TibetanWhiteCrane

When the weather is bad and cold......?? Dude, you live in California.... not sympathies here from Scandinavia, i'll tell ya' that much:wink::neutral::squigglemouth::sad:

masterofoneinchpunch
When the weather is bad and cold......?? Dude, you live in California.... not sympathies here from Scandinavia, i'll tell ya' that much:wink::neutral::squigglemouth::sad:

I say relatively speaking and I certainly wasn't trying to get sympathies as I can walk out in the coldest weather here in shorts and still live (compared to Northern Alaska or Scandinavia) :bigsmile:

Now don't forget there are some colder areas in California like the Sierra Mountains and you can get a lot of skiing there (or climbing or hiking), but yeah where I'm from (Central Valley) the weather is more like a Mediterrian climate.

TibetanWhiteCrane

To quote Maj. Grant from Die Hard 2...... "I've seen enough snow to last me a fucking lifetime!"

Seriously.... it never fucking ends!!!! We're writing March 20, and it's snowing like it's fucking christmas! Where is that global warming everybody is talking about?

Even for Denmark, this is ridiculous!

masterofoneinchpunch
...Even for Denmark, this is ridiculous!

To get back on subject, what Danish rock/metal would you recommend?

Yeah I've listened to this quite a few times and I'll second it. I just one day bought a couple of CDs off ebay that were metal and it was one of them. I was surprised by how much I liked it (though it is the only Carcass album I have) I would not call this traditional death metal. For me the definition of death metal usually has to do with the voice (stereotypically would be the Cannibal Corpse sound though they consider themselves gore metal) and sometimes that can be the issue with me, especially if it isn't broken up with a black metal sound or a clean sound like with Opeth. I'm also a big Opeth fan.

Every Carcass album is different, all are worth a listen. The first couple are more grindcore then they sound more thrash/death and finally get a little more melodic but still heavy.

Napalm Death's Fear Emptiness, Despair is another really good grindcore turned death metal album. Very gloomy but very well done at the same time.

Drunken Monk
Killah Priest -The Physic world of Walter Reed.

on repeat many times..

I just can't do it. I appreciate the depth of his words but, Christ on a bike, he's one of the dullest emcees to ever grace a microphone.

To quote Maj. Grant from Die Hard 2...... "I've seen enough snow to last me a fucking lifetime!"

Seriously.... it never fucking ends!!!! We're writing March 20, and it's snowing like it's fucking christmas! Where is that global warming everybody is talking about?

Even for Denmark, this is ridiculous!

Really?? wow!

To get back on subject, what Danish rock/metal would you recommend?

So I looked up Danish metal bands a few minutes ago and found this:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Poohkali/the_very_best_danish_metal_bands

and at the very top of the list is Wuthering Heights. I love their music, having bought two CDs of theirs already, Salt and Far from the Madding Crowd. Check them out on Youtube. That's how I found the band. (But right now I'm listening to Manowar.)

Recently discovered this amazing thrash band, Havok.

Jah Almighty, most of y’all seem to be on a dino rock / punk / metal / trash / noize flex, at least that’s what seems to dominate this thread... I’m kinda hooked on Tommy Lee right now, no, not the ol’ skool white haired KF villain and fight choreographer, but the Sparta-bred, masked “gothic” dancehall deejay, the self-styled “Uncle Demon”, who’s all the rage in Jamaica right now...

Check “Buss A Blank” 4 proof...

Or “Goathead”... (toughest diss tune in a while!)

Jah Almighty, most of y’all seem to be on a dino rock / punk / metal / trash / noize flex, at least that’s what seems to dominate this thread... I’m kinda hooked on Tommy Lee right now, no, not the ol’ skool white haired KF villain and fight choreographer, but the Sparta-bred, masked “gothic” dancehall deejay, the self-styled “Uncle Demon”, who’s all the rage in Jamaica right now...

Check “Buss A Blank” 4 proof...

Or “Goathead”... (toughest diss tune in a while!)

sheng, do you get in to Laurel Aitken, Desmond Dekker, or Prince Buster?

sheng, do you get in to Laurel Aitken, Desmond Dekker, or Prince Buster?

Yup, sure do. That's my line, part of the tradition, doh? I mean, Buster was the baddest of 'em all! And Aitken sang "Pussy Price Gone Up" in 1969, almost as x-rated as anything that's running right now...

Yup, sure do. That's my line, part of the tradition, doh? I mean, Buster was the baddest of 'em all! And Aitken sang "Pussy Price Gone Up" in 1969, almost as x-rated as anything that's running right now...

you sir, are a man of good taste. Pussy price gone up is almost the equivalent of a rudy ray moore "aka" dolemite blues 7" circa early 70's in the US......only i will say that Aitkin was WAY more musically inclined haha

yPussy price gone up is almost the equivalent of a rudy ray moore "aka" dolemite blues 7" circa early 70's in the US......only i will say that Aitkin was WAY more musically inclined haha

Right. RRM was only ‘slack’ (x-rated), Aitken was infinitely more talented and already crooned some lewd (for the time) R & B before the ska era, in the late 50s.

Right. RRM was only ‘slack’ (x-rated), Aitken was infinitely more talented and already crooned some lewd (for the time) R & B before the ska era, in the late 50s.

I'd kill to get my hands on such material. I have heard it.....prior to the "Trojan Explosion" stuff that's out there. I have many friends that are1st and 2nd wave enthusiasts, and they have SOME recordings of Aitkins RnB stuff....however not on vinyl. I am gonna find that stuff come hell or high water. Damn....makes me wanna bust out the 'ol Doc Martins now haha

ok....first....this is my second attempt at posting a video

second....this is kick ass Punk Rock

third....they are called the templars and are from NYC

fourth......they named themselves after the Armando do Ossorio series, and also their love for the history of the actual templars

fifth.....this song is made using footage of the actual film "NIght of the Seagulls"

sixth....enjoy music from the streets. These guys ain't no rock starts, but are known the world over, and even mentioned on the history channel in a Templars documentary. plus they are very good guys to even talk to.

IklEac6xvvE

Recently discovered this amazing thrash band, Havok.

LpiTB9kbg8I

uyHzro50MCg

Havok seem pretty cool.

Right now..

QjxMnKWa22Y