What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

Shaolin Chamber 36

Listened to this tons of times already.

One of my all time favorite songs, love this acoustic version.

Tori Can Sang!

iTHO6IX3Tp8

Rolling Stones classics from the 60s and 70s! I'll never get tired of those!

Other main musical interests, The Beatles, Aerosmith, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams, Heart, Boston, Sweet, Poison. Kiss, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, The Who, Queen, Genesis & Phil Collins, all Motown and 50s rock!

Some heavy hitter there Rog! Good taste. An underrated gem by the Stones....

u5vn6OqnD_Q

I like my metal so right now been listening to the new pig destroyer album , dilinger escape plan discography,the new cryptopsy,and hall and oates

• Administrator

Right now Eva Cassidy. She's got a beautiful voice. Shame we lost her at such a young age.

Earlier I listened to The Black Keys. My son turned me on to them. They have the coolest vibe. Love their stuff.

Secret Executioner

Been getting into grunge lately. I never liked Nirvana much (except for Smells Like Teen Spirit) but I quite like the material by Alice In Chains, Soundgarden or Hole I've heard so far.

masterofoneinchpunch
...Upon A Burning Body.

I picked out there latest album "Red White Green" just because I happened to see the names of the songs (dealing with Robert Rodriquez movie titles). Fun CD. When it is summer I'm always more into metal (and hardcore and you name the subgenre) so in goes Trivium, Opeth, Dir En Grey, Acid Bath ...

masterofoneinchpunch
Their previous album, The World Is Ours, has songs all named after Al Pacino films. :wink:

Yeah, I've been meaning to get that one. Now I hope the next one is Akira Kurosawa films so I listen to Yojimbo.

Godfrey: for grunge also check out Mudhoney, The Melvins, Screaming Trees, L7. Not saying you are going to like these ...

Secret Executioner
Godfrey: for grunge also check out Mudhoney, The Melvins, Screaming Trees, L7. Not saying you are going to like these ...

The name The Melvins rings a bell and I've heard some L7 songs (loooong ago), good stuff.

I'll check out the others because I have never heard of these before.

Secret Executioner

Also, I'm getting into early 1990s bands like Life Sex & Death or Dinosaur Jr. Can't believe I missed this by being too focused on stuff from the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s.

masterofoneinchpunch

I'm a 90s fan as well. Here's a post in response to something from a few years back. Take it for what it is -- my taste from the time which was college radio and me slowly getting into heavier music. I need to do the rest of the 90s as well.

My favorite songs from 1991:

This Picture “Naked Rain”

Shamen “Move Any Mountain”

Shamen “Make It Mine”

Temple of the Dog “Hunger Strike”

School of Fish “Three Strange Days”

P.M. Dawn “Set Adrift On Memory Bliss”

Mark Almond “My Hand Over My Heart” (I have a soft spot for “Jacky” as well).

Siouxsie and the Banshees “Kiss Them For Me”

Big Audio Dynamite II “Rush”

Electronic “Gangster” (yes most picks would be “Some Distant Memory”)

UMF “Unbelievable”

Nitzer Ebb “Godhead”

Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (how could I not pick this; though I like several songs more on the LP)

Ned’s Atomic Dustbin “Grey Cell Green”

Public Enemy “Can't Truss It”

The Cult “Wild Hearted Son”

Primus “Jerry Was A Race Car Driver”

Ministry “Jesus Built My Hotrod”

Soundgarden “Outshined”

OMD “Pandora's Box (It's a Long, Long Way)”

Pearl Jam “Alive”

Jesus Jones “Right Here, Right Now”

I know I should pick something from below as well:

U2 –something from Achtung Baby?

Fugazi – something from Steady Diet of Nothing?

Pixies – something from Trompe Le Monde?

Prong – something from Prove You Wrong?

Mr. Bungle – something from Mr. Bungle? I would probably go with “Dead Goon”

Secret Executioner

For U2's Achtung Baby, I guess One is quite obvious.

And I guess you could also have at least one song off Metallica's Black Album (I'd pick either Enter Sandman or Nothing Else Matters) and maybe a couple of songs off the Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion albums (I say this as a hard rock/metal enthusiast).

masterofoneinchpunch
For U2's Achtung Baby, I guess One is quite obvious.

And I guess you could also have at least one song off Metallica's Black Album (I'd pick either Enter Sandman or Nothing Else Matters) and maybe a couple of songs off the Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion albums (I say this as a hard rock/metal enthusiast).

Enter the Sandman. I forgot this came out in 91 (and I did not replace my lost CD so it wasn't in my database so I didn't put it on my list :)). Good picks though. I liked several songs off of Achtung Baby, but One is a safe pick. Its funny that my picks will get harder (more metal) as the years went on and as my tastes changed. I probably should make a 92 list :).

Secret Executioner
Enter the Sandman. I forgot this came out in 91 (and I did not replace my lost CD so it wasn't in my database so I didn't put it on my list :)). Good picks though. I liked several songs off of Achtung Baby, but One is a safe pick. Its funny that my picks will get harder (more metal) as the years went on and as my tastes changed. I probably should make a 92 list :).

For 1991, I'd also add:

something off Alice Cooper's Hey Stoopid (the titletrack, Snakebite or Dangerous Tonight)

No Son Of Mine or Jesus He Knows Me by Genesis (though We Can't Dance is probably my least favorite Genesis album)

For 1992, I don't have much:

Alice In Chains - Rooster

Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark (or From Here To Eternity)

Kiss - Unholy (or Take It Off)

Life Sex & Death - School's For Fools

• Administrator

I got the boxed set NUGGETS- Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968. Psychedelic rock is my favorite kind of music, so I'm loving this set.

And though it's always been a staple of my general listening, since Ravi Shankar passed away on December 11th I've been listening to a lot more of his incredible sitar ragas lately.

masterofoneinchpunch
...And though it's always been a staple of my general listening, since Ravi Shankar passed away on December 11th I've been listening to a lot more of his incredible sitar ragas lately.

And speaking of coincidences: I recently saw the Monterey Pop Festival (on Criterion) which has an excellent performance from Ravi. It's pretty cool seeing so many pop stars mesmorized by his performance (and he is excellent). Though really Otis Redding was one of my favorite performances from that set and of course The Who and Jimi setting his guitar on fire was pretty awesome.

I hope you have that DVD set :D.

• Administrator
And speaking of coincidences: I recently saw the Monterey Pop Festival (on Criterion) which has an excellent performance from Ravi. It's pretty cool seeing so many pop stars mesmorized by his performance (and he is excellent). Though really Otis Redding was one of my favorite performances from that set and of course The Who and Jimi setting his guitar on fire was pretty awesome.

I hope you have that DVD set :D.

Oh, I do! My wife bought me the beautiful Criterion DVD set when it came out. On the day Ravi passed away I played his performance from this concert so my son could see and hear who we'd lost. He was blown away. He's a musician, so he had a great appreciation for what Ravi and the other musicians were doing.

There's a CD available of Ravi's entire performance at Monterey that is simply stunning.

As for Hendrix... he's my favorite musician ever. His Monterey performance was mind-blowing. What an iconic moment with the guitar. I've painted that, and I also own a little statue of that scene as well.

The Silver Fox

Huge Hendrix fan here. I wish they would release Live in Atlanta 70' in DVD form. I used to have it on VHS that I taped off of TV. I realize that most of it is on YouTube but I want an official dvd as I have everything else that has been released.

Atlanta is so much better than Isle of Wight,I'm sure Jimi is rolling in his grave that that show even got released. It has some brilliant moments but the fatigue,dope,equipment problems,poor organization really undermined the performance. Still, it has a sort of majestic pathos that is compelling, In From the Storm' is great and actually the newer material is pretty good, I think Jimi was tired of playing Foxey Lady,Watchtower etc and it clearly shows.