What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

The Ghost Face Killah

Oh boy, nice diverse tastes here, good to see. I probably could do a lot in here depending on the forum's ear for genres. Not sure if I have time with what I already do, but may drop a post or two. Thanks for sharing the music everyone!

• Like 2

The Ghost Face Killah

Alright, this isn't even close to the tip of the iceberg as I was going to make music a career at one point before switching to my current field management/tech. I post in another sports forum but I'll share a bit here, just a few tracks I'm currently listening to.

Math Rock with the technically gifted Polyphia, and I study samples. This one is a blues sample from Blues icon Muddy Waters (The Rolling Stones named themselves after his song) and one of the Hip Hop GOATs Nas.

Edited by The Ghost Face Killah
typo
  • Like 1

I remember being completely mesmerized by the soundtrack to the Kensaku Watanabe 2004 movie, Loved Gun and immediately sought out Dhal - Cacophony. I haven't played the CD in a few years but gave it a complete listen again today. Shame they never put out anything else.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:11 AM, AlexanderFu said:

I'm on a Ritchie Blackmore thing right now. Who knows how long it's gonna last, but the guy was a genius in his day.

The solo in Stargazer just can't be over taken on my top 10 list, and I've been trying for a while. Weird dude, but he certainly put the work in!

(solo starts @ 3:21, ends @ 5:10)

Japanese metal band LOUDNESS did a cover version of this awesome track on a Cozy Powell tribute album. Akira Takasaki is one of my favorite axemen.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Japanese metal band LOUDNESS did a cover version of this awesome track on a Cozy Powell tribute album. Akira Takasaki is one of my favorite axemen.

Awesome, I appreciate the videos (and the fantastic guitars), thank you!

They are amazing technical geniuses, no doubt. They sound great. :thumbsup

That yellow and black guitar is bold and wild! I'd take one, thank you very much! :cool:

• Like 2

@AlbertV, one of my high school buddies and his wife saw them years ago on a Rock n' Roll cruise where they played with other 80s metal bands. He told me they still jammed especially Akira. Did anyone ever figure out what MZA meant?

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

I've been listening lately to Dutch pop-rock band Earth & Fire. They formed in 1968 by twin brothers Chris (guitars) and Gerard (keyboard) Koerts. They gained massive popularity in their homeland with the addition of lead singer Christine "Jerney" Kaagman. The band split up in 1983 but temporarily reunited from 1987 to 1990. Kaagman retired from the music industry in 2012 when she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Gerard Koerts died in 2019 and Chris Koerts died this past November.

Trivia: Kaagman's longtime boyfriend Bert Ruiter, who joined the band from 1979 to 1983, was the bass player in the band Focus when they made their international hit "Hocus Focus". Ruiter died of cancer in March of 2022 at the age of 75. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

The Ghost Face Killah

I'll play a little bit, Daft Punk. I wonder if we'll ever see Tron Ares in the box office.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Since De La Soul’s back catalog has just hit streaming services, I’ve been exploring their discography. They were always a hip hop blindspot for me for some reason.

Stakes Is High is one of the best albums I’ve heard in some time.

• Like 2

AlexanderFu

I'll leave this here for Gary. One of your finest performances, the band is back together. Rest in peace. :cool:

• Buddha Bless You 1

Following JW4, and especially her closing credits track, I was curious to listen to Rina Sawayama's work.

Although I feel she got a bit less unique with each new album, I like many of her songs, and she's got a very eccletic sound.

Edited by Agent U
  • Like 1

Since I'm going to watch the Kani releasing blu ray of Bullets Over Summer, thought I would prep myself by listening to some Tommy Wai.

• Like 1