What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

Secret Executioner

AC/DC - Highway to Hell (1979)

The band's last album with Bon Scott and one that I've grown more into overtime. Once you get past the titletrack that is pretty much THE AC/DC song for most people you find a lot of very solid stuff - some classics the band regularly dusts off like "Shot down in Flames" or "Girls got Rhythm", some underrated gems ("Touch too much" is among my favorite AC/DC songs) and some forgotten material that eventually gets exposure (like the awesome "If you want Blood" that got included on the Iron Man 2 album).

King Crimson - Lizard (1970)

The oft overlooked - if not forgotten - 3rd album by Fripp & co. This one is special to me as it was the very first King Crimson album I got and heard. In spite of being very jazz- and classical music-influenced - two genres I've never been that much into - I've always thoroughly enjoyed it and I still put it among my favorite KC albums.

Random trivia: Tony Levin recorded some bass overdubs for a movement from the titletrack in 1991. The new bass part is very well integrated and is actually barely noticeable. (the piece itself starts a bit after the 3-minute mark, though the commentary is very interesting and the story of this overdub showcases Tony Levin's sheer genius)

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

Kiss - Live Vol. 2 (1993)

A bootleg CD from Australia showcasing parts of the show Kiss performed in Anaheim, CA on August 20, 1976, a fairly widely available audio bootleg. This release is however an incomplete version as it contains only 8 songs. The tracks sound better than the video versions I've seen on YouTube (yeah, turns out I don't have the video for this one - save for a wide-angle version of "Black Diamond" on a compilation DVD called Lost Live Footage '75-'76 that also includes about half of the show played one week prior in Houston, TX - and it's one of those bootlegs that didn't turn up on Kissology), though still rather rough as this recording (which would become one of the earliest Kiss bootlegs as Kiss destroys Anaheim) is audience-sourced.

More on the show: https://www.kissconcerthistory.com/1976/1976-0820.php

Video excerpts:

"King of the Night Time World" isn't on the CD, but "Do you love me" is. And the CD version doesn't have the glitch towards the end this version has.

The aforementionned wide-angle version of "Black Diamond". The sound quality is on par with that of the CD, a bit rough but still very listenable. And you get a nice showcase of what the stage looked like at this point in the band's carreer.

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 3

Lots of Hour of 13. Lucky enough to grab the latest album from Bandcamp as it was only up for 24 hours for Samhain (but it'll be physically released next year). Well crafted doom metal with hints of deathrock.

• Like 3

Holding her arms extended that way, is Kate Bush a gyonshi?

Right now I'm listening to The Hu, a Mongolian folk rock band. This is The Hu performing "Sugaan Essena" for the video game, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. 

• Like 3

Afi Winterunderground - the seminal gothic album where the band really had a changing of style from their previous hardcore sound. Big fan of most afi (later stuff gets quite boring) great album whether people came around to it or not

The sound that ends creation Merry Christmas You Filthy Animal- Great grindcore christmas covers album, goes over a lot better than I would have imagined lol

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

Hong Kong Cinema Appreciation Society

I watched the Song Exploder episode on Hurt and I've been binging on Downward Spiral recently. That record was huge when I was in middle school but it didn't really appeal to me then, so I'm glad I've had the chance to discover it all these years later and really dig in. 

• Like 1

This past January:

Billy Joel- The Nylon Curtain: An amazing album by Billy Joel. Hope I could see him live once this is all over.

RUSH - Hemispheres: Prog rock ooey gooey goodness! Not one dull moment.

Beatles - Abbey Road: Need I say more?

Yes - 90125: I honestly hated Owner of a Lonely Heart but I've learned to appreciate it. It's a real groovy track! I think my favorite song from this album is Changes, really great rhythms and a smashing intro/outro!

• Like 2

@Ah_Tao Yeah Owner of A Lonely Heart is such a great new wave track. Lyrics are great too. Always defended that song, cant say much for the entire album since its been years since giving it a spin though.

• Like 2

Re-visiting some of my youth albums. Currently listening to Bloodhound Gang - Hooray for Boobies* and System of a Down - Toxicity. 

*Funny I never realized they used a Kung Fu sample for "I hope you Die"

• Like 2

ONE OK ROCK just released the theme song to Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning, entitled "Broken Heart of Gold"

Here's their theme song to Rurouni Kenshin: The Final, entitled "Renegades", co-written by Ed Sheeran, lead singer Takahiro Moriuchi, and Masato Hayakawa, the lead singer of J-Rock band COLDRAIN. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I’ve been rather disappointed by music as of late. I was let down by both the new J. Cole album and the Benny the Butcher/38 Spesh LP.

But the biggest insult to my ears was the new DMX track featuring Benny and Westside Gunn. Awful track.

I keep revisiting MF DOOM just to put a smile back on my face.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Checking out some music from South Africa lately. Bouwer Bosch and Liesl Ahlers are also popular actors there, Ahlers gaining more international recognition for her work in the horror films Friend Request and Triggered. She's such a wonderful person (talked to her a few times).

This last one, Stone Cold Jane Austen, is actually a fake band comprised of musician/filmmaker Jon Savage and comedian/actor Rob van Vuuren. This was from a mockumentary film that was released in 2015. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

I've loved early 90s US Death Metal since I was in my early teens, I'm now rediscovering some of the albums that I used to play all the time, and I still freakin love them!

Suffocation - "Effigy of the Forgotten"

Atheist - "Piece of Time"

Obituary - "Cause of Death"

• Like 3