What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

I've been listening to some old school rockabilly - psychobilly when I need to get motivated.

Hawaiian/South Pacific music when I want to relax.

The grammys can bite me.

Phantom Dreamer
It all depends on how you define "artist." At the end of the day, Beyonce can sing and she can sing incredibly well.To me, that's an artist.

Wow, that's pretty subjective.

Bought Halestorm's two CDs this past weekend at $5.00 each at Wal-Mart. I've only heard lead singer Lzzy Hale sing on Lindsey Stirling's track "Shatter Me" so I decided to check them out and they are freaking awesome!!! They have a new album coming out in April and I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out.

Secret Executioner

Kind of an eclectic selection today:

KISS - Animalize Live Uncensored (Brazilian (bootleg ?) DVD of a concert filmed live in Detroit in late 1984 - really nice show)

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (the always classic 1968 album)

an old 10" record I bought today featuring overtures from Rossini's operas: William Tell, The Barber Of Seville and La Scala Di Seta. I'm not much into opera/classical music, but this is some really nice material.

In my stereo recently:

Victor Griffin's In-Graved - S/T

Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse

Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen

Shaolin Chamber 36
album-minimum-maximum_zps6bbcfb15.jpg

Love Kraftwerk. To me this is that classic hip hop sound. Those electro beats that influenced Planet Rock, Play At Your Own Risk, Cheap Thrills, and so many others.

Recently been getting the music of Joe Satriani, seriously, he's the real deal when it comes to guitar playing:

Got tickets to see him live this year too, can't wait!

dozicusmaximus

I've been doing a bunch of Brutal Death Metal the past few days.

Dying Fetus

Defeated Sanity

Katalepsy

Abominable Putridity

Pathology

Devourment

It's so over the top, it's great. Haven't listened to much in this style in a good 5 years.

Secret Executioner

My turntable rocked on today:

Kiss - Alive!

Actually, only the first disc - played an Argentinian pressing I have that includes only disc 1 as the 2 records were released separately in this country (a strange move).

Nonetheless, it's still a really good album.

Queensrÿche - Rage For Order

Second album by this band, the pictures on the backcover make them look like a Glam Rock band, but they really aren't.

Procol Harum - A Salty Dog

There's more to this band than "Conquistador" and "Whiter Shade Of Pale" - like this album with beautiful and catchy tunes, great lyrics, and a rather funny artwork.

Alice Cooper - Muscle Of Love

Last LP by the original Alice Cooper Group, one of my favorite Alice Cooper albums.

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Last Genesis album with Peter Gabriel on lead vocals (before Phil Collins took over), an album I now enjoy but had a hard time getting into (unlike the previous Gabriel-era records which I instantly loved - this comment is especially true for Foxtrot, but this one is probably my favorite Genesis studio album).

On a sidenote, I have an Italian pressing and it comes with Italian translations of the lyrics. I have a couple other Genesis albums - Wind & Wuthering and ...And Then There Were Three... - that include French translations, it's a bit strange but kinda nice.

:laluot_22:

boris - Urban Dance, Warpath and Asia

A trio of new noise/drone releases from this veritable chameleon of bands.

I'm happy I got to see them live twice recently, as well.

Agreed. They've done so much killer stuff. I like the way they separate their releases by using upper and lower case band names. When you see what case it's in it gives you an idea what kind of sound it'll have.

"Noise" was some cool stuff too.

I'm playing those same three albums in sequence. Quite good, on the drone side of things.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Three songs from Keith Emerson's Inferno score have been on a loop for awhile. A quiet way to come to.

Goblin, Bolt Thrower, Discharge and a pinch of Hail of Bullets / Asphyx remain constants as well. The older I get, the more old school I lean.

I've been listening to 80's new wave and Nordic folk metal as of late, notably in the latter categories Leaves' Eyes and Midnattsol, whose lead singers are sisters from Norway. These would make the perfect musical soundtrack for anything involving Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim IMO.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Been listening to a lot of Ennio Morricone lately - can you guess why ? :tongueout Also checked out some Jefferson Airplane and played a lot of David Bowie recently, but mainly due to unhappy circumstances. And on a happier note I got back to listening to a lot of Alice Cooper lately - probably because February and the Coop' birthday are coming up. :wink 

• Like 1

Been getting back into 60's band The Kinks recently playing the album The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society. For a bit of contrast Ive also been listening to the Megadeth album Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?.

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Same as it ever was; 

tons of Bolt Thrower, a pinch of Goblin, some Hail of Bullets and Morbid Tales-era Celtic Frost. 

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

Digging this up cause I think it's a more opened thread in the music forum.

Albums I recently listened to:

Pink Floyd - Meddle (1971)

Status Quo - In the Army now (1986)

Cellar Darling - The Spell (2019)

Gus G. - Fearless (2018)

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres (1973)

A blend of classic rock and recent metal. Feels like a good summary of what I'm into these days. :monk_coolagent:

• Like 2

On June 7, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Secret Executioner said:

Procol Harum - A Salty Dog

There's more to this band than "Conquistador" and "Whiter Shade Of Pale" - like this album with beautiful and catchy tunes, great lyrics, and a rather funny artwork.

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Last Genesis album with Peter Gabriel on lead vocals (before Phil Collins took over), an album I now enjoy but had a hard time getting into (unlike the previous Gabriel-era records which I instantly loved - this comment is especially true for Foxtrot, but this one is probably my favorite Genesis studio album

I have a couple other Genesis albums - Wind & Wuthering and ...And Then There Were Three... - that include French translations, it's a bit strange but kinda nice.

I realize this is 5 years old by now, but these also happen to be some of my most recent vinyl pickups. That is Salty Dog by Procol Harum (really good) and Wind & Wuthering (didnt find too significant) and The Knife (really good) by Genesis

Also just completed most of my Moody Blues collection after having a kick of listening and discovering them more. From their debut record to Long Distant Voyager (skipping Octave because the cover is so lame and the music does nothing new and feels like a dumbed down and commercial version of what came prior). Anyway I found their albums got consistently worse starting from Days of Future Past while still being good to Seventh Sojourn. I actually find the consistency in that sense quite impressive lol.

Revisited the overlooked After Bathing at Baxters by Jefferson Airplane.

Currently into discovering more Steppenwolf, At Your Birthday Party is one of my favorite albums, not finding many of the others too significant or to my liking

Listened to a ton of Dr John (rip) today, whos death Im about to go make a post for. 

(just a response, been meaning to post a proper reply to this thread, to be continued...)

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2