What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

I'm not a big fan of that band. I tried to check them out, but they aren't really my cup of tea.

Currently checking out some more "typical European" metal (cause they seem to be worshipped everywhere in Europe, but not so much in the US): Iron Maiden's The Number Of The Beast - the newly reissue on vinyl. The package is nice with a great artwork (the cover looks awesome, but most of Maiden's artworks are masterpieces - especially the 1980s ones), a really well-done inner sleeve that has the lyrics of the songs and some photos of the bands, the disc has cool labels (showcasing Eddie of course) and it sounds GREAT, with lots of dynamics and bass - never heard the album sound that great, and I started with the late 1990s remastered CD.

The people who made this plan to release all the 1980s albums, from Iron Maiden to Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son including the masterpiece of a live album called Live After Death. The first two albums (Iron Maiden and Killers) were re-released along with Number Of The Beast, but since I already own those on vinyl I didn't find necessary to buy them again. There's also the case with the 3 albums and room for the other 5 albums to come but it comes without any special extra (or I'd have bought that instead) - you just have a plastic case to store your records...

Iron Maiden are worshipped in all corners of the world I bet even the Dalai Lama has an Eddie picture on his wall. I got the flight666 DVD and they appear to be Huuuuuuuuuuuge in south american countires. I saw them live at the o2 Arena last year. Awesome! I don't like all of their music. My favourite albums are the first one 'Iron Maiden' and seventh son of a seventh son. Don't mind me talking about your typical European tastes, I'm just kind of joking with you :wink:

Me the day after the concert still in the Iron Maiden mood. Wearing the T-shirt I bought at the gig. (Apologies for the state of my face, I had a particularly bad flare up of acne at the time)

999408_10201705744507328_415205165_n_zps17fd9fe6.jpg

Secret Executioner
Me the day after the concert still in the Iron Maiden mood. Wearing the T-shirt I bought at the gig. (Apologies for the state of my face, I had a particularly bad flare up of acne at the time)

999408_10201705744507328_415205165_n_zps17fd9fe6.jpg

Rock on, man - and that is one great shirt BTW. :cool:

Currently listening to/watching Alice Cooper's The Nightmare Returns DVD - recorded live in Detroit, MI on October 31, 1986 (I think it was broadcasted on TV before being released on VHS and later on DVD). An early show from the Constrictor tour of 1986/1987. That was Alice's return after 3 years without an album (DaDa in 1983) and 4 years without a concert (the last show he had made was in February 1982 during the European leg of the Special Forces tour). A great show loaded with classic numbers and a number of theatrics: a snake, a dancer in a BDSM attire with a whip, guillotine... The Coop' brought back all the classic imagery. And had - as usual - great musicians backing him: Rambo huh I mean Kane Roberts on guitar, Kip Winger on bass, Paul "Horrorwitz" Taylor on keyboards (interestingly, Kip Winger and Paul Taylor would later go form Winger)... The band introduction during School's Out is my favorite band intro the Coop' ever had. A brutal and heavy show that just ROCKS !!! \m/ :smile:

Secret Executioner

Checking out my latest purchase, the Bye Bye Beautiful DVD single by Nightwish - released in 2008. The disc has a video part featuring 3 music videos, a making of featurette and an audio part.

The music videos included are:

- "Bye Bye Beautiful"

As said earlier, it's the 3rd single off the Dark Passion Play album - as well as a sort of firing letter to former lead singer Tarja Turunen. The video is essentially the band performing, with the male members being replaced at times by hot young women (actually these ladies are models from an agency based in Los Angeles, CA).

- "Amaranth"

The song is actually the second single off the album (it got a couple of CD releases, but no DVD release). the video draws inspiration from a Finnish painting by Hugo Simberg called The Wounded Angel that shows two boys carrying a wounded angel. The video expands the story showing how the boyss found the angel, the villagers going nuts about this and ultimately burning down the hut where she was resting (as they see it as a manifestation of evil, seeing it's a fallen angel).

- "While Your Lips Are Still Red"

This one is a mellow song recorded before Anette Olzon was hired as the new female lead singer, so it's entirely (like the demoes for the album) sung by male vocalist and bass player Marco Hietala. The song can be found as a bonus on the Made In Hong Kong And In Various Other Places live album and as a B-side on one of the "Amaranth" single releases. The song was used in a Finnish movie called Lieksa!, and the music video seems to draw imagery from the film, though you have shots with Marco Hietala (as well as Tuomas Holopainen who appears in the background) singing among the people you see interract with each others in the rest of the video. The video could make a sort of trailer, assuming what you see in this are scenes from the film.

Eventually, the videos for "Bye Bye Beautiful" and "Amaranth" are also available on the DVD that comes with the Made In Hong Kong And In Various Other Places live album.

The audiopart is basically one long video with a diaporama of photos of the band with (then) new lead singer Anette Olzon or Anette alone. The shots are pretty cool, and Anette looks pretty cute in some of them (one of them though looks like her mugshot and she looks pretty mean) - actually, the fact that she was rather cute and sounded quite different than previous lead singer Tarja Turunen caused the band to take a lot of slag, as some fans claimed they preferred hiring a pretty babe to attract more new fans. This resulted in the band taking the concept to the extreme (claiming self-irony) in the "Bye Bye Beautiful" music video.

The audiopart contains the 4 tracks off the CD release:

- "Bye Bye Beautiful"

Essentially the same than the album version, but I won't complain since it could be my fav' number off Dark Passion Play.

- "The Poet And The Pendulum" (demo version)

Sung - like all the Dark Passion Play demoes - by male vocalist and bass player Marco Hietala - and he sounds great here. I'm not a big fan of his singing, which I find obnoxious at times, but he nails the song, which is the longest track Nightwish ever recorded and a very complex and epic number. Actually, I may find this raw demo better than the album version.

- "Escapist" (album version)

Bonus track originally found on the Japanese release of Dark Passion Play. This song was also re-issued as a bonus track on Made In Hong Kong And In Various Other Places.

- "Bye Bye Beautiful" (DJ Orkidea remix)

A 12 minute dance mix... Takes over 3 minutes before you get something that sounds remotely like the original song and the thing as a whole isn't that great nor memorable. This track appears on the CD single, but is ommitted from the 12-inch vinyl release.

Feels strange mentionning that Anette Olzon is the new lead singer of Nightwish when she was hired in 2007 (2 years after the band fired their original lead singer Tarja Turunen) and got fired in October 2012. :squigglemouth:

Secret Executioner

Listening to some Rory Gallagher tonight.

JdkuHgSzNhg

Tattoo'd Lady (live, from Live at Cork)

zXXuqbxeqtc

drknSMdDYA8

Kickback City and Loanshark Blues (off Defender, one of his best albums)

HUbLtdqdg9E

Moonchild (off Calling Card)

Secret Executioner

One of the best albums from the 1960s - not to say one of the best of all times:

beatles-sgt-peppers-album-001.jpg

I'm not a big Beatles fan (although I have several of their albums), but this is just a GREAT album.

Other 1960s favorites of mine include:

The Beatles - Help! (1965)

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (1968)

Jethro Tull - Stand Up (1969)

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969)

Pink Floyd - More (1969)

The Who - A Quick One (1966)

The Who - Tommy (1969)

The Mothers Of Invention - Absolutely Free (1967)

Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (1968)

Secret Executioner

Noticed I tend to listen to a few albums a lot these days:

AC/DC - High Voltage (1976 international version)

AC/DC - '74 Jailbreak (1984)

King Kobra - Ready To Strike (1985)

KISS - Alive! (1975)

Uriah Heep - The Best Of Uriah Heep (1975)

:laluot_22:

Also been listening to a lot of Helloween and been revisiting some "third era" (1983-1995) Black Sabbath stuff lately. Born Again (1983) and Seventh Star (1986) are some really underrated albums. :nerd:

Phantom Dreamer

I'm not really a Beck fan, but I saw this yesterday and it rings true. I'm tired of frauds, media creations and just manufactured hype in popular music.

B9g9HIUIYAYdfyo.jpg

Joey Bada$$. B4.DA.$$. Pretty dope. Liking the 90's flavours.

If he'd have trimmed the album by about four or five songs, it would be a certified classic. It's really refreshing to hear that 90's sound again.

I'm not really a Beck fan, but I saw this yesterday and it rings true. I'm tired of frauds, media creations and just manufactured hype in popular music.

B9g9HIUIYAYdfyo.jpg

But that's a silly way of looking at things. It was a "Best album" award, not a "Who can do the most things" award.

I know it's entirely subjective but I still question the choice. Beyonce's album shook the world in 2014. It broke world records, has universally recognized song and, shit, even my mum knows the lyrics to "Drunk in Love."

Secret Executioner
But that's a silly way of looking at things. It was a "Best album" award, not a "Who can do the most things" award.

I know it's entirely subjective but I still question the choice. Beyonce's album shook the world in 2014. It broke world records, has universally recognized song and, shit, even my mum knows the lyrics to "Drunk in Love."

Must be living under a rock (or in a very remote country) 'cause this new "record breaking" album by Beyonce with its "universally recognized song" didn't do much around here. Hell, I didn't even know she had a new album out with a smash hit (apparently) - and I often go to record stores, I check out Youtube and the news almost daily... But it's the very first time I hear of this. All I heard about her is that she was apparently getting a divorce (either it hid the news of the album or it was some kind of promo stunt, but whatever).

The idea that "popular -> good" seems to be an Internet trope, especially when discussing music. Nothing against stuff that's popular, but the idea that the more popular something is the better it is just doesn't hold up IMO - just apply it to movies, and you'll see what I mean.

Must be living under a rock (or in a very remote country) 'cause this new "record breaking" album by Beyonce with its "universally recognized song" didn't do much around here. Hell, I didn't even know she had a new album out with a smash hit (apparently) - and I often go to record stores, I check out Youtube and the news almost daily... But it's the very first time I hear of this. All I heard about her is that she was apparently getting a divorce (either it hid the news of the album or it was some kind of promo stunt, but whatever).

The idea that "popular -> good" seems to be an Internet trope, especially when discussing music. Nothing against stuff that's popular, but the idea that the more popular something is the better it is just doesn't hold up IMO - just apply it to movies, and you'll see what I mean.

But good is subjective anyway. At least popularity implies many people are buying and enjoying a product. Especially when it comes to music. I'm not saying all albums with high sales are great, but it does mean they're massively loved by a large number of people. Which, when trying to turn subjectivity into objectivity for the sake of award shows, implies it's good.

And that's why award shows are flawed to begin with. Especially when awards are handed out without tapping into the opinions of the general public.

As for you not hearing about Beyonce's album, I can't speak on that. But I imagine you're an exception to the rule for most people that have their ear to pop culture's ground. Her song, "Flawless," is practically an anthem these days.

Secret Executioner

I get your point on the "good" thing. Good here (Awards case) is more commercially speaking than anything artistic. For me, "good music" is more in terms of how I feel about the music (thus personal opinion) and/or how talented the musicians are, not of commercial success.

I get your point on the "good" thing. Good here (Awards case) is more commercially speaking than anything artistic. For me, "good music" is more in terms of how I feel about the music (thus personal opinion) and/or how talented the musicians are, not of commercial success.

I agree with you a hundred percent.

Its funny, I hate classifying great talented pop artists of the past like Hall and Oates or Michael Jackson as pop, because it puts them in a category with Bieber and Beyoncé.

As or what I'm listening to lately.. The two artist mentioned above, and a shortlived but talented indie rock group that broke up far too soon, Envy on the Coast.

Phantom Dreamer

It was a response to Kanye West's rant about recognizing "true artists". Is Beyonce an artist or a manufactured prop?

Secret Executioner
It was a response to Kanye West's rant about recognizing "true artists". Is Beyonce an artist or a manufactured prop?

It's like asking if Jaden Smith owes his movie roles to his acting talents or to being Will Smith's son...

It all depends on how you define "artist." At the end of the day, Beyonce can sing and she can sing incredibly well. To me, that's an artist.