What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

the moose

Been listening to alot of Neurosis and post metal recently. Post metal (in case you were wondering) is the kind of metal you listen too after you have played to death all other kinds of metal and there is nothing left to excite you. Except the densely atmospheric music of post metal.

sifu iron perm
watch?v=GodL8H2Ogbo

wicked!!!

track 6. do u know where your children are (lol @ title) ..this song rocks..playing it like 8 times.

sifu iron perm
I've been listening to more electronic music during workouts. Some older and some more recent tracks.

MV_3Dpw-BRY

G3OihW5MPKA

Nu3cezCkzf4

im sure u heard the Themes for an Imaginary Film..???

Currently re-visiting my past :tongue:

First CD I bought...

tumblr_inline_n5itbzjwgS1qcdz98.png

Still love that sound, although I personally think "Dude Ranch" is their best effort.

Secret Executioner

While browsing through my CD collection, found an old CD-R with no label or anything. Turns out it was an Alice Cooper album called Live In The USA.

Here are more informations on this bootleg from sickthings.co.uk, a (really good) unofficial website on the Coop':

TITLE Live In The USA (1990)

FORMAT: CD

CATALOG NUMBER: Golden Star GSCD 1109

NOTES: Recorded Live in Saginaw, Michigan '78 King Biscuit radio broadcast (1-12)

Under My Wheels

Billion Dollar Babies

I'm Eighteen

Is It My Body

The Black Widow

You And Me (listed as "What We Are Is What We Are")

Only Women Bleed

Escape

I Never Cry

It's Hot Tonight

Lace And Whiskey

School's Out

and El Paso, Texas 4/6/80 (13- 23)

Intro

Grim Fact

Go To Hell

Guilty

You And Me

Pain

Talk Talk

Gutter Cats

Clones

Nuclear Infected

Wish You Were Here (credited to the members of Pink Floyd!)

The Saginaw 1978 material was recorded a few months after the shows recorded for the official Alice Cooper Show album, but it sounds much better. The story is that Alice had had a tiring schedule in 1977 (plus some other issues, notably alcoholism) and they added a couple of extra shows to record the live album. I think also Alice spent some time in rehab in between, that time in rehab being the main inspiration for his 1978 album From The Inside.

The El Paso show just sounds weird, seems sped up or something - though the song selection* is interesting.

*I can't talk of setlist as this El Paso, TX concert is missing at least two songs, I Never Cry and I'm Eighteen, which are available on a CD from Luxembourg called The El Paso Show or on an American LP/picture disc called The (El Paso) Show.

Big Star and Chris Bell solo album.

I was briefly into them in the 90's, but the new documentary (Nothing Can Hurt Me) got me re-introduced/obsessed with them.

Secret Executioner

Some live progressive rock lately:

Genesis - Live (1973)

The first live album by the band and their only one with Peter Gabriel on vocals. Recorded during the tour following the release of Foxtrot in 1972. Some good stuff there (love the song "The Return Of The Giant Hogweed"), though one may regret this was watered down to a one-disc release with 5 songs, when the original was to be a two-disc release with more talk by Peter Gabriel and at least one more track (the 22-minute epic number known "Supper's Ready").

Genesis - The Way We Walk, Volume One: The Shorts (1992) and The Way We Walk, Volume Two: The Longs (1993)

Genesis fourth and fifth live albums, both recorded during the tour following the release of We Can't Dance in 1991. While the first one essentially has hits ("Mama", "Land Of Confusion", I Can't Dance", "Jesus He Knows Me"...), the second one is more musicianship oriented with a very long medley, long proggy tracks (like the two-parters "Home By The Sea" and "Domino") and it ends with a drum duet (performed by Phil Collins and Chester Thompson). Listening to these two back to back, it's surprising but in the mean time, they complement each other really well. Some great stuff.

King Crimson - The Great Deceiver: Part One (recorded 1973/1974, first released in 1992 and re-released 2007)

This one has a complex history. Back in 1992, a King Crimson 4-CD boxset called The Great Deceiver was released. It contained live recordings from 1973/1974. That box-set quickly went OOP and was later re-released as two 2-CD sets. I only have the first of the two, so I have discs 1 and 2 from the original package.

Now for the music: it's some great King Crimson material. You essentially get material off the King Crimson albums from this era: Larks' Tongues In Aspic (1973), Starless And Bible Black and Red (1974), though there are some older titles (1969 KC classic "21st Century Schizoid Man" and the forgotten 1970 gem "Cat Food" appear on CD2). And there are a lot of improvisations, most being complex and sometimes really long (while some are nicely executed, these aren't really my cup of tea). The musicianship on the songs is incredible though, 21st Century Schizoid Man sounds angry and deranged as it should (with a nice improvised jam in the middle), "Starless" sounds more beautiful and gets darker than the studio version (the song starts slow and mellow and ends dark and deranged after a 12-minute progression that goes through a darker phase) and the Starless And Bible Black numbers such as "Lament" (a very melancholic tune) sound like they've been improved over the original recordings - most of this album was actually recorded live (essentially in Amsterdam, Netherlands in 1973).

masterofoneinchpunch
While browsing through my CD collection, found an old CD-R with no label or anything. Turns out it was an Alice Cooper album called Live In The USA.

Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock ‘n’ Roller’s 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict (2007) by Alice Cooper with Keith and Kent Zimmerman is a fun read if you have not read it already even if you are not into golf.

Been listening to Upon a Burning Body's latest release "The World is my Enemy Now."

Secret Executioner
Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock ‘n’ Roller’s 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict (2007) by Alice Cooper with Keith and Kent Zimmerman is a fun read if you have not read it already even if you are not into golf.

Heard of that book, but haven't read it. Interesting though that Alice managed to get out of his demons (in which he had sunken in the early 1980s, he was at his worst in 1983 around the time he recorded the album DaDa IIRC) thanks to golf.

masterofoneinchpunch
Heard of that book, but haven't read it. Interesting though that Alice managed to get out of his demons (in which he had sunken in the early 1980s, he was at his worst in 1983 around the time he recorded the album DaDa IIRC) thanks to golf.

Found my comments on the book which I wrote several years ago:

Actually a lot more fun than I originally thought. I do not have much interest in golf, but Alice's life is certainly fascinating as well as his mania with golf. The book is a bit slight and easily could have held hundreds of more stories from his past, but alas. For example while there are nice chapters that discuss his friendships with Peter Sellers, Groucho Marx and Salvador Dali, but they are limited to just a few stories. Alice was close to Sellers and I would have been interested in a book just detailing his friendships. His story of meeting Liberace is hilarious.

But as in most semi-autobiographical books you get a decent amount of discussion on childhood.

Golf, as widely known, is a huge passion of his. It helped save his life from his addiction to alcohol (though as the case with addictive personalities they have to move one addition to another; many on here it is movies). He has other addictions such as shopping, TV, horror films and Kung Fu films (as he states "stupid kung fu movies") which he watches before every performance. Heck I would have enjoyed much more talk about movies . Alice Cooper's guide to Horror would be a good book to write.

Secret Executioner

Your comment was very interesting, and you raised some good points.

Alice being into movies is nothing new, one of his songs refer to a famous horror movie actor from the 1930s ("Ballad Of Dwight Frye", 1971), he had some James Bond-based songs ("Halo Of Flies", 1971 ; "Man With The Golden Gun", 1973) and he worked with Vincent Price at a point - Price provided a narration on Welcome To My Nightmare in 1975 and appearing on the TV special called The Nightmare the same year. Some lines spoken by Vincent Price were also used as voice-overs in concert. They can be heard at several points on the Strange Case Of Alice Cooper video release (filmed in San Diego, CA in 1979) and one of them was re-used 10 years later at the beginning of the song "Steven" on the Alice Cooper Trashes The World video release (filmed in Birmingham, England in 1989). Alice also starred in a Filippino movie called Monster Dog in 1984, an horror movie with a werewolf-like creature - the film actually had a release in Spain apparently, but I don't know about any releases of the movie (nor have I seen it though it doesn't look too bad - and no, there doesn't seem to be our old friend Bruce Le in it).

Lotta mainstream r&b/hip hop from early to mid 2000s (my teen days). Been a REAL good while now, and refreshing going back to with all the crap music people are putting out today. Good times.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMObHJoVx0sNUSPjzP9qFjo6bAJa3NI8gMr2OzLZTewS5jYkKk

Child in Time:

A Vietnam war protest song live.

In Rock is the fourth album by English rock band Deep Purple, released in June 1970. It was their fourth studio album and the first with the classic Mk II lineup. Rod Evans (vocals) and Nick Simper (bass) had been fired in June 1969 and were replaced by Ian Gillan and Roger Glover

All songs written by Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice.

Side one

No. Title Length

1. "Speed King" 5:52

2. "Bloodsucker" 4:16

3. "Child in Time" 10:18

Side two

No. Title Length

4. "Flight of the Rat" 7:53

5. "Into the Fire" 3:30

6. "Living Wreck" 4:31

7. "Hard Lovin' Man"

Man oh man do I luv this outing.

Ian Gillian and Deep Purple rock to say the least.

GD Y-Y

Neurosis - Absolutely amazing! No other band have managed to crawl under my skin so deeply, except for TooL (co-incidently both are from LA). Neurosis are responsible for inventing a sub genre of metal music called post-metal. post metal is kinda what you listen to when you have been through every other sub genre of metal and got bored. Post-metal offers a densly atmospheric and textural form of metal. Even though Neurosis (who started in the mid 80's as a hardcore band) have been doing post metal since the early 90's it has only been in the last 10 years that other bands followed Neurosis and made similer music. Other notable post metal bands include Rosetta, ISIS, Pelican (one of their songs is played at the end of the game dead space 3), omega massif, cult of luna.

keep in mind this song here is from 1993 - nothing else sounded like that back then. If you're not into metal then steer clear as it won't be your cup of tea.

For those who like metal, enjoy...

6HJF9fg0u-M

masterofoneinchpunch
Neurosis - Absolutely amazing! No other band have managed to crawl under my skin so deeply, except for TooL (co-incidently both are from LA). Neurosis are responsible for inventing a sub genre of metal music called post-metal. post metal is kinda what you listen to when you have been through every other sub genre of metal and got bored. Post-metal offers a densly atmospheric and textural form of metal. ...

After listening to that I did a little research on them and found this article: Neurosis Reveal Inspirations Behind 'Honor Found in Decay' (and Their Full 30-Year Career) when looking for their influences. It is interesting to note a quick talk about The Melvins who I thought of when listening to this. In the use of samples (probably why allmusic labels this band as part industrial) I was reminded of Ministry.

I first saw Tool live in 1992 at One Step Beyond in Santa Clara. They were opening up for Rollins Band at the time (this is before their breakout on the Lollapolluza tour -- I also saw them there, but they were on the secondary band area; later on that tour they graduated to the main gigs.) I was going to see Henry Rollins of course, but I always went to watch the early bands as well. It was kind of dive and the floors were too slippery to do any decent moshing and later there was a guy swinging his belt at everyone. Maynard's mike went out so for a couple of songs he was basically just yelling at the audience.

Secret Executioner

I found the samples in that Neurosis song reminiscent of Zappa's Lumpy Gravy, so it sounded more like a mix of "musique concrète" and metal - musically, it reminded me more of some dark slow Black Sabbath tune. Strange, but creative mix - and I guess King Crimson could have been influenced by that stuff for their 1995 album THRAK.

Been on a death/thrash metal kick lately, so I mainly listened to stuff like Arch Enemy (love their latest album), Bathory (okay, it's black and viking metal with a little bit thrash metal) or Slayer, but I also listened to some progressive rock (King Crimson, Yes) and to some power/symphonic metal (Helloween, Nightwish, Within Temptation). Basically, you get my music tastes in a nutshell - only Frank Zappa, some classic hard rock and movie soundtracks are missing.

masterofoneinchpunch

What I have been listening to lately:

Opeth: Heritage (Special Edition)

Hank William III: Rebel Within (interesting that he did some guitarwork for Superjoint Ritual; might have only been on tour with them though)

Upon a Burning Body: World is my Enemy Now

Mastadon: Remission (this is the rerelease)

All sorts of Depeche Mode and New Order (this is always ongoing)

I could never get into Opeth, or Mastadon actually.

I've had Darkest Hour's new self titled album on repeat since it came out. Each song has had at least 600+ plays according to my iTunes.

The build-up beginning at 1:17 leading to that oh so sweet riff at 1:36 gets my head moving every time.

watch?v=xHh7oHZ_ZhE

I found the samples in that Neurosis song reminiscent of Zappa's Lumpy Gravy, so it sounded more like a mix of "musique concrète" and metal

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

and I guess King Crimson could have been influenced by that stuff for their 1995 album THRAK.

Actually Neurosis sites King Crimson as one of their influences. Zappa also possibly. Neurosis's influences are an eclectic bunch, thats probably why they sound so different, because their influences extend beyond just the usual punk and metal.

Been on a death/thrash metal kick lately, so I mainly listened to stuff like Arch Enemy (love their latest album), Bathory (okay, it's black and viking metal with a little bit thrash metal) or Slayer,

Good stuff.

some power/symphonic metal (Helloween, Nightwish, Within Temptation).

Lol such typical 'European' taste in metal music :tongue:. I bet you listen to Dream Theatre too? An American band that Americans (and British) don't listen to, but every other country in Europe seems to worship them.

After listening to that I did a little research on them and found this article: Neurosis Reveal Inspirations Behind 'Honor Found in Decay' (and Their Full 30-Year Career) when looking for their influences. It is interesting to note a quick talk about The Melvins who I thought of when listening to this. In the use of samples (probably why allmusic labels this band as part industrial) I was reminded of Ministry

Thanks for sharing the article. Those influences mentioned in the article actually only touch the surface of their many influences. They are into such an eclectic mix of musical styles, which is probably why they sounded like no one else. Melvins are a great band and one of the most influencial bands ever - so many other bands have sang their praise. It doesn't mention in the article their taste for crossover thrash/crust punk eapecially the band 'Amebix'.

I have most of Ministry's albums as I have been into that whole so called industrial scene with other bands such as Nine Inch Nails (who I regard close to Tool, Neurosis and Godflesh), skinny puppy, KMFDM, Die Krupps, Front 242 and so on. But what I particularly love is Authentic Industrial music that followed in the slipstream of punk in the late 70's. Bands such as Throbbing Gristle, Caberet Voltaire, SPK, Nocturnal emissions, whitehouse etc. Ministry? Seriously industrial? - Still, I do have a fondness of land of rape and honey.

Secret Executioner
Lol such typical 'European' taste in metal music :tongue:. I bet you listen to Dream Theatre too? An American band that Americans (and British) don't listen to, but every other country in Europe seems to worship them.

I'm not a big fan of that band. I tried to check them out, but they aren't really my cup of tea.

Currently checking out some more "typical European" metal (cause they seem to be worshipped everywhere in Europe, but not so much in the US): Iron Maiden's The Number Of The Beast - the newly reissue on vinyl. The package is nice with a great artwork (the cover looks awesome, but most of Maiden's artworks are masterpieces - especially the 1980s ones), a really well-done inner sleeve that has the lyrics of the songs and some photos of the bands, the disc has cool labels (showcasing Eddie of course) and it sounds GREAT, with lots of dynamics and bass - never heard the album sound that great, and I started with the late 1990s remastered CD.

The people who made this plan to release all the 1980s albums, from Iron Maiden to Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son including the masterpiece of a live album called Live After Death. The first two albums (Iron Maiden and Killers) were re-released along with Number Of The Beast, but since I already own those on vinyl I didn't find necessary to buy them again. There's also the case with the 3 albums and room for the other 5 albums to come but it comes without any special extra (or I'd have bought that instead) - you just have a plastic case to store your records...

masterofoneinchpunch
... Still, I do have a fondness of land of rape and honey.

You know I would not advertise that online. I do like honey myself.

Still The Mind is a terrible thing to taste. I have all of Ministry's early CDs (I probably still have a few on tape) but still need to get a few of the post-Barker era. Al's autobiography is a seriously demented work. Probably a good anti-drug endorsement as well (you know with the falling out of teeth and the almost dying several times -- still probably has not has as many overdoses as Billy Idol though.) One of the biggest mosh pits I have ever been in was when a couple of pits connected during Thieves (Shoreline in the grass back area; I ended up bloody.)

I was a big NIN fan back in the 90s (I do have all the major LPs, most of the Halos too.) I had got the tape of Pretty Hate Machine and played that to death, but when Broken came out (with that little itty bitty CD) I was floored. KMFDM has always been hit and miss with me. I like Skinny Puppy late at night, driving alone :D (it works with certain moods.)

Still plenty of bands (so little time) to get into.

Godfrey Ho worshipper: Iron Maiden still has a pretty big following here (at least in Central California). I still see T-shirts quite a bit and I have some friends who have been fans. "THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST" did go platinum here.