What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

Secret Executioner

Some good stuff you got there, KUNG FU BOB.

Been listening to AC/DC's Flick Of The Switch, an album I rarely listen to except for during the holidays since I got it for Christmas in 2002. :laluot_22:

I've been listening to a lot of thrash lately, old and new. Megadeth, Annihilator, Onslaught, Exodus, Warbringer, Gama Bomb, Lost Society.

• Administrator
Some good stuff you got there, KUNG FU BOB.

Yeah, great stuff!

Today I was in a Rolling Stones mood. Been listening to one album after another. Beggar's Banquet, Exile On Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed... All their classic records.

Been listening to AC/DC's Flick Of The Switch, an album I rarely listen to except for during the holidays since I got it for Christmas in 2002. :laluot_22:

Other than a few of their really popular hits I wasn't too familiar with their stuff. Odd as it may seem, my son lent me some of their CDs, and I dig them.

Secret Executioner
Yeah, great stuff!

Today I was in a Rolling Stones mood. Been listening to one album after another. Beggar's Banquet, Exile On Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed... All their classic records.

Hope Aftermath and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! were in the bunch. I'm not a big fan of the Stones (I'm more of a Beatles fan, though my fav' from the Brit Invasion could well be The Who), but these 2 are some fine pieces.

Other than a few of their really popular hits I wasn't too familiar with their stuff. Odd as it may seem, my son lent me some of their CDs, and I dig them.

If you go past the classics like Highway To Hell, Back In Black or Thunderstruck, you'll find some really nice material. My fav' AC/DC is Touch Too Much from the album Highway To Hell:

6hLLe7j_tKA

In fact, I couldn't really recommend anything by AC/DC but if I had to, I'd highly recommend the following albums: Let There Be Rock (1977), Powerage (1978), If You Want Blood (You've Got It) (1978, live album) For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) (1981), Ballbreaker (1995) and Stiff Upper Lip (2000).

Eastern Evil

^^^^ I've Been listening to a lot of ACDC lately - Powerage, Highway to Hell, Back in Black & For Those About to Rock.

Favorite songs are Have a Drink on Me, Gone Shootin', Shot Down in Flames,

For Those About to Rock (We Salute You), What Do You Do For Money, Honey, Touch Too Much.

Great Stuff.

Also listening to Judas Priest - Point of Entry.

Yeah....

Secret Executioner
^^^^ I've Been listening to a lot of ACDC lately - Powerage, Highway to Hell, Back in Black & For Those About to Rock.

Favorite songs are Have a Drink on Me, Gone Shootin', Shot Down in Flames,

For Those About to Rock (We Salute You), What Do You Do For Money, Honey, Touch Too Much.

Great Stuff.

Good choices when it comes to albums, and your picks in terms of songs are pretty nice. :laluot_22:

In a totally unrelated story: I've been listening to a lot of King Crimson lately - essentially material from the 1980s (Discipline is one of my very favorite KC albums), 1990s (double-trio=killer line-up) or 2000s (The Power To Believe is an interesting record, but this could be my least fav' decade in the band's carreer).

And this afternoon, back to the 1970s with The Great Deceiver: Live 1973-1974 Volume 1. A 2-CD set featuring some live material taken from a couple of concerts (runs for 2h20-something minutes). Actually, the release was originally a 4-CD boxset that was later re-released as 2 2-CD sets. Still missing that second volume, but it's one of the many KC live releases I'd love to get - along with the Epitaph albums (2 2-CD sets featuring live material from 1969) or Absent Lovers (last concert before their second split in 1984).

Been listening to Radiohead's Kid A lately, some COIL and some 80's new wave synth. I used to love Metal, but these days I get bored listening to it too much.

In a totally unrelated story: I've been listening to a lot of King Crimson lately - essentially material from the 1980s

Thelahunjinjeet,Thelahunjinjeeeeet,Thelahunjinjeet, Thelahunjinjeeeeet. - Splendid!:wink:

Secret Executioner
Thelahunjinjeet,Thelahunjinjeeeeet,Thelahunjinjeet, Thelahunjinjeeeeet. - Splendid!:wink:

That's my favorite song off Discipline - either this one or Indiscipline, can't really choose between the two. Either way, the two rank among my fav' King Crimson tunes as well. :laluot_22:

I started listening to King Crimson about ten years ago. They supported TOOL on tour, TOOL were my favourite band at that time and King Crimson were a big influence on their guitar player. My first CD was a compilation called 'the compact king crimson'. I liked it and started buying their albums. I have:

In the court of the Crimson King

In the wake of posiedon

Larks, Tongues and Aspic

Starless and Bible black

Red

Disciplin

Beat

And my favourite is a live compilation called 'Cirkus: The young persons guide to King Crimson'.

Secret Executioner
My first CD was a compilation called 'the compact king crimson'. I liked it and started buying their albums. I have:

In the court of the Crimson King

In the wake of Poseidon

Larks' Tongues in Aspic

Starless and Bible black

Red

Discipline

Beat

And my favourite is a live compilation called 'Cirkus: The young persons guide to King Crimson'.

ITCOTCK, ITWOP, SBB, Red and Discipline are some excellent albums - LTIA is really good too. While it gets some praise, I'm not a big fan of Beat (though it has some nice numbers like Waiting Man or Heartbeat). :laluot_22:

(took the liberty of correcting some misspelled titles)

ShaOW!linDude

Hawthorne Heights ---- "If Only You Were Lonely"

The Posies ---- "Frosting on the Beater"

Hole ---- "Celebrity Skin"

The Vines ---- "The Best of the Vines"

The Court of the Crimson King (side 2 - part 5) is indeed old school cool. :xd:

Love this song !

Need to listen to more of their 80's output....

Secret Executioner
The Court of the Crimson King (side 2 - part 5) is indeed old school cool. :xd:

Love this song !

One of the many great KC numbers indeed - I must say though that my fav' on the first album is 21st Century Schizoid Man. :tongue:

For the record, there's a "compilation" featuring various live impros that were played during this song - this makes (more or less) a version of the song that runs for nearly an hour (!). It's available only as CD2 of the 2-CD set Ladies Of The Road which otherwise features live material from the Islands era (1971/1972) - this one is a very classical oriented album, nice material but not easy to get into (kinda like their previous album Lizard).

There's also a 1990s compilation called Schizoid Men where you have the edited version, the album version and 3 live performances - 2 of which can be found elsewhere though.

Need to listen to more of their 80's output....

If you're hesitant (though there are only 3 albums), get one of the (many) live releases from this era - material from these albums sounds really good live and the live performances from this time also featured a couple of 1970s songs (Red and Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part Two notably). You have several of them: Absent Lovers, Neal And Jack And Me, The Noise - Live In Frejus...

sKarm - Into Your Program (Filipino underground hip hop album)

Soundtracks from video games such as the Batman Arkham franchise and L.A. Noire

Lots of 1980s music hits

masterofoneinchpunch
Do you know the band 'Primus'?

This is the frontman

Primus Sucks! (complete in-joke so I am not dissing the band) I have a lot of Claypool's later releases as well.

Being from California I would say it is hard not to know Les Claypool's earlier band. I first saw them in concert in 1991 with Public Enemy and Anthrax at the Henry Kaiser arena in Oakland. It was during the great fire there in Oakland, so after the concert was over it was a make-shift hospital/relief center.

I was a fan of Primus since I got an early copy of Suck on This! Then Frizzle Fry then I remember when the single of Jerry was a Race Car Driver came out. Fun music days.

Been listening to Mars Volta the past couple of weeks (most of their LPs).

Primus Sucks! (complete in-joke so I am not dissing the band) I have a lot of Claypool's later releases as well.

Being from California I would say it is hard not to know Les Claypool's earlier band. I first saw them in concert in 1991 with Public Enemy and Anthrax at the Henry Kaiser arena in Oakland. It was during the great fire there in Oakland, so after the concert was over it was a make-shift hospital/relief center.

I was a fan of Primus since I got an early copy of Suck on This! Then Frizzle Fry then I remember when the single of Jerry was a Race Car Driver came out. Fun music days.

Been listening to Mars Volta the past couple of weeks (most of their LPs).

Grabbed most Primus albums in 2005/6 when I went through a phase of listening to them obsessively. It all started when I bought the DVD Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People - love the videos to Tommy the cat, southbound pachyderm, wynoners big brown beaver and that last one with the plasticine where the devil plays the fiddle against a redneck. :xd:

I'm spinning some Bolt Thrower today. Good ol' English death metal.

Aren't they grindcore? Like Naplam death:angel:

Which leads me nicely to Godflesh who I have playing through my phone:smile: