Tropic Thunder

daisho2004

If you want to see a good funny ass movie than look no further than "Tropic Thunder". I laughed from the moment it came on until it ended. I thought Robert Downey Jr. was the best one in the movie by playing the Black Dude he had me rolling.

nyet474_film_review_tropic_thunder.sff.jpg

tropicthunder_galleryposter.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaolindogpaw

It usually takes alot from a movie to make me laugh out loud. Tropic Thunder did just that. You'd have to be a fan of Ben Stiller to really love this movie. And you'd have to tolerate Jack Black enough to like it as well. I really don't care for Jack Black, the only movie i liked him in was Nacho Libre.

Anyways, Tropic Thunder was very funny.

• Administrator

Agreed ;)

I laughed really hard at the film. But I did notice that a lot of the younger people, including my son, didn't get a lot of the ton of "Viet Nam war movie" references and jokes that were strewn throughout.They pulled stuff out of the obvious classics- APOCALYPSE NOW, and PLATOON, but also CASUALTIES OF WAR, BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY, COMING HOME, a bunch of them. Even fully replicating certain shots. The filmmakers were certainly in tune with their vision. And there was also quite a bit of truly exciting action. A great time.

But... STEP BROTHERS made me laugh most of all this summer!

:l:angel::D;)XD:p:):l;):DXD:D;):)

froffeecoffee

It was a great satire of Hollywood business and types. This will make a great marathon with Swimming with Sharks, Bowfinger, The Player, and Ed Wood. All of the actors were in top form. Even Jack Black, who is funny, but does more non-funny movies than not. The comedy was broad enough for audiences and on the mark about how self-important Hollywood is about itself. Definitely a must see comedy.

• Administrator
It was a great satire of Hollywood business and types. This will make a great marathon with Swimming with Sharks, Bowfinger, The Player, and Ed Wood. All of the actors were in top form. Even Jack Black, who is funny, but does more non-funny movies than not. The comedy was broad enough for audiences and on the mark about how self-important Hollywood is about itself. Definitely a must see comedy.

Please add to this list the Christopher Guest movie FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, and TRUE ROMANCE which had a dead-on riff on that whole scene.

KUNG FU BOB: I forgot to mention all the references to the past Viet Nam War movies, I did notice them as well and was laughing about that also.

kungfusamurai
Agreed ;)

I laughed really hard at the film. But I did notice that a lot of the younger people, including my son, didn't get a lot of the ton of "Viet Nam war movie" references and jokes that were strewn throughout.They pulled stuff out of the obvious classics- APOCALYPSE NOW, and PLATOON, but also CASUALTIES OF WAR, BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY, COMING HOME, a bunch of them. Even fully replicating certain shots. The filmmakers were certainly in tune with their vision. And there was also quite a bit of truly exciting action. A great time.

But... STEP BROTHERS made me laugh most of all this summer!

:l:angel::D;)XD:p:):l;):DXD:D;):)

I've seen all those war films, so I guess I'll get the references, but I hope they're not so obscure that I have to think really hard about where I saw it. That Dewey Cox movie, for example, parodied a number of music related artists and films, but I found myself really straining to keep up with the references. That's why I didn't like it, because I couldn't escape into the humour.

KFS

I'll be honest I only noticed "APOCALYPSE NOW", and "PLATOON" parodies in the movie. And those scene had me rolling. Can't recall where "CASUALTIES OF WAR" fit in though. I never seen "BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY" & "COMING HOME" so I can't relate to those 2 movies in this film.

kungfusamurai

I went to see this film, and I have to say I enjoyed it. It's certainly funnier than the Will Ferrell movies and other comedies I've seen during the past few years, other than Borat. Definitely better than Zoolander, Stiller's earlier directing work. For me, I found the first half really funny, but from the point they're walking through the jungle, the laughs became fewer and far between. The ending was alright. Tom Cruise was really annoying.

The only war film references I could pick out were Platoon (twice) and Apocalypse Now. I didn't see any other film references.

The one guy who really stands out in this film is Robert Downey Jr. I think he did a great job, even better than what he did in Iron Man. I know the role he played in this film is somewhat controversial, but it's still extremely well done.

The fake movie trailers at the beginning were funny. I think the Jack Black Fatties movie should take on a life of its own, outside of Tropic Thunder. Then again, Eddie Murphy and the producers of The Nutty Professor Movies might take them to court.

Overall, an entertaining hour and a half. Mind you, there are many moments where you have to really really suspend belief. Especially during the last half hour or so.

One side note: We get another appearance by Christine Taylor, Stiller's real life wife. It's kind of sad to see her only appearing in his movies, like it's being done out of charity. She was so funny in the Brady Bunch movies and did a great job in The Wedding Singer. Did her marriage to Stiller black list her from getting any reasonably good roles in Tinsel town?

KFS

• Administrator

Hey guys, I've seen around 15 movies since this one, so I can't remember the specific scenes that referenced those movies now. But when it comes out on DVD I'll revisit this thread and list them for ya.

Archived