5 Element Boxer

The Goonies vs The Monster Squad  

3 members have voted

1. 1. The Goonies vs The Monster Squad

• Hey, you guys!
    • My name...is Horace!

5 Element Boxer

Which cult classic do like better?

I'm not sure which one I'll vote for yet. I'm gonna have to watch both of them first (back to back), which I'll probably do later on. So you guys make your vote and discuss.

shaolindogpaw

Wow, tough question. I love the goonies but im a big fan of classic monster movies and Monster Squad was so cool. My pick goes to Monster Squad.

Definitely a hard question to answer, "The Goonies" was great but I always loved the Classic Monster movies myself so I would have to give "The Monster Squad" the edge on this one.

5 Element Boxer

After viewing both of these movies last night, I decided to go with The Monster Squad. They are both on par with each other when it comes to memorable characters and hilarious moments. But it was in the villains department where I had to give The Monster Squad the extra nod. The Fratelli's just aren't as scary, or as big a threat, as the classic monsters. Plus, the actors who played Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man were very good, I thought. Maybe if The Goonies had ghost pirates in it, I might've voted for it.

doesn't look that bad, for what it is

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Without a doubt "The Goonies" blows "Monster Squad" outta the water!! Ive seen "The Goonies" probably 30 times, never gets old. I remember seeing it in the theater in Portland when I was little with my cousins. Just recently re-watched "Monster Squad" (new DVD release) and damn near fell asleep. My 11 year old son thought it was just OK as well, his first time seeing it. MS just didnt stand the test of time for me.

The Fratelli's just aren't as scary, or as big a threat, as the classic monsters.

Mom Fratelli was scarier than all of those dudes put together!! I used to have an evil hag babysitter who looked (and acted) just like her.

Goonies for me too. Can watch this again and again without it getting old. Monster Squad was good in its day but just hasn't stood the test of time.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Mikey: "That's my moms most favourite piiieeece!"

Mouth: (doing Groucho Marx) "You wouldn't be here if it wasn't!"

Brilliant!

And how can you beat the TRUFFLE SHUFFLE, or the way Jonathan Ke Quan pronounces "Polyester wear":)

littlefuzzy

Goonies...

However, I grew up watching this one on TV, and I've seen it many times.

Monster Squad, on the other hand - I wasn't really even aware that it existed until around the time I bought the new DVD. I enjoyed it, and I feel that if I had grown up watching it like I did the Goonies, I might appreciate it even more.

Cognoscente

The Monster Squad has aged better. If it had been directed by someone like Tom Holland (Fright Night, Child's Play) or John Carpenter then it would have been more appreciated.

• Like 3

I haven't seen either movie all the way through. But if I had to pick one(And after watching the trailers for both), I'd probably like Monster Squad more. I'm a big horror fan, so that's why I chose it. 

• Like 2

For me, it's kind of unfair. I like both because it had a set of memorable protagonists and an adventure involved...Goonies had the search for One-Eyed Willie's pirate ship and treasure and the Fratellis were a combination of danger and comedy (Robert Davi's singing and Chunk's reaction is hilarious). The Monster Squad was having classic monsters involved and some hilarious moments as well such as "monster in the closet" and some memorable characters like Scary German Guy (played by Italian Leonardo Cimino) and the whole why "limbo" didn't work the 1st time. Sorry, for me, it's a draw!

• Like 3