The Sword Of Doom ending

5 Element Boxer

5 Element Boxer

I just finished watching The Sword Of Doom this morning. A real masterpiece, to say the least. I enjoyed every single minute of it. Everything about this film was flawless. But the ending has me puzzled. Why did it end so abruptly? Was it the director's intention to leave us hanging (cliffhanger)? Was there to be a sequel, or a series of three or more films?

And is there a remake?

• Administrator

I had read that there was a sequel planned that never got made. I can't remember why.

But when I saw this film I felt exactly the same way you did. It was like "Whooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... Huh?"

5 Element Boxer

But the ending shot was pretty awesome. That final image of Ryunosuke going nuts, killing all those guys, pretty much summed up his character. He was a demon who finally lost his mind.

This is easily one of the best Samurai flix I have ever seen.

But the ending shot was pretty awesome. That final image of Ryunosuke going nuts, killing all those guys, pretty much summed up his character. He was a demon who finally lost his mind.

This is easily one of the best Samurai flix I have ever seen.

That was the whole purpose of the ending. You can pretty much leave it up to your own imagination on what exactly happens to Ryunosuke.

I would recommend watching Satan Sword trilogy. It was made before Sword of Doom and gives a different view on Ryunosuke character played by Ichikawa Raizo.

http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-satanssword1.html

http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-satanssword2.html

http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-satanssword3.html

I have to agree with Venom you have to watch the "Satan Sword Trilogy" great series. And Ichikawa Raizo was awesome as a Mad Evil Samurai, this movie really showed a different character from the Sword of Doom character much more darker and it finished the ending as to what happened. Its just too bad it never got a legit release.

5 Element Boxer

Thank you for the links, venom. Iam going to try and watch that series asap. You and daisho pretty much answered my questions. Thanks guys.

One more thing. I was super impressed with Toshiro Mifune's performance. His one and only action scene in the movie had me in awe. And what he says to the guy, who he spairs, is truly epic script-writing. And it had Ryunosuke looking nervous. I think.

5 Element Boxer: That was a Great Scene in the Movie that was my favorite also. I haven't watch this movie or the "Satan Sword Trilogy" in a while I have to watch them again this week if I get a chance.

I would have loved to seen a fight between Tatsuya Nakadai & Toshiro Mifune in the climax of this film but it just never happened.

5 Element Boxer

I'm with you on that, daisho. Twice I was let down. First, the time they meet in the dojo, and second, when Mifune killed all those guys.

Seeing Tatsuya Nakadai go beserk through a house full of Samurai is about as good an ending as it gets, who cares if it makes sense haha.

I somehow got the first Satan's sword movie, and I've watched that a year ago, so I'm pretty screwed seeing the conclusion on the series at the moment.

5 Element Boxer

I also thought those ghostly shadow effects they used (to make Ryunosuke loose his mind) towards the end were well done for the time.

Love this film. I also have the Satan's Sword triology, but have yet to watch it. Ive always wanted a large wall poster of the Image used on Criterions DVD cover. Hell even the Eastern Eye cover would be dope as a poster!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The ending makes sense. He's haunted by the heartless acts of violence he'd committed in the past. Then he let's go when he realizes he's been betrayed. There you have it.

• Administrator
Love this film. I also have the Satan's Sword triology, but have yet to watch it. Ive always wanted a large wall poster of the Image used on Criterions DVD cover. Hell even the Eastern Eye cover would be dope as a poster!

Hey Bro, Daisho2004 said there is no legitimate release. But you said you really love the "Criterion" cover. Which cover are you thinking of? Can you post a picture of it? Whatever it is, if it's poster cool, I'd like to see it.

I haven't seen these films yet, but they're on their way to me and I'm psyched.

Hey Bro, Daisho2004 said there is no legitimate release. But you said you really love the "Criterion" cover. Which cover are you thinking of?

I was refering to the "Sword Of Doom" Criterion cover art.

Latrell: "The Satan Sword Trilogy" doesn't have a legit release but you can buy it from some excellent online sources.

Like Merlin over at http://samuraidvd.com/

Why buy it, when you can get all three volumes, remastered with custom subs for free at the club.

I watched this for the first time over the weekend (part of my samurai cinema journey I'm on at the moment) and I absolutely love the ending. I can only echo what's been said in this thread. The ending depicts Ryunosuke finally succumbing to his demons and becoming a demon. His cool, calm (sociopathic?) demeanor goes out of the window and we're left with a feral animal. I think it works astonishingly well.

In fact, with the sequels never being made, I like to think Ryunosuke dies at the end. His own animalistic ways become his downfall and he's defeated by those that come for him. It's a perfect ending, even if it's technically not meant to be that way.

• Like 3