Jet Li's THE MASTER

KUNG FU BOB

9 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

And as a side note, I LOVE Romeo must die too, and Kiss of the dragon as well.

Sister! I have a special love for Romeo Must Die.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
On 6/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, Cognoscente said:

This was the first Jet Li movie that I ever saw, which made it all the more surprising when I saw what he could really do in The Shaolin Temple. In Japan, The Master was known as Hard Blood. The below black and white page came from the February '90 issue (#241) of Cinemart.

Same for me- my intro to Jet Li.

Thanks for sharing the photos. :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Just finished posting up a small write-up about this movie on my site. It's less of a full review and more of a discussion about the finale.

https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-master-19891992.html

That was a very nice read. The movie gets such a hard time, it's cool reading someone else appreciating as much as I do.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I LOVE this movie ! I first watched it as the HKVideo release, many, many years ago, but I remember that I was like "wow ! I love Jet Li's fights !". I bought the 88 release and watched it again, and I STILL LOVE IT !! I know that some people dislike it and find a lot of defaults to it, but well, for me, it's a GREAT Jet Li' movie. The only ones movies of his that I don't like very much are Hero and The warlords, and maybe The one, I'm not sure, because I watched it years ago too. But to be sure of my feelings towards his movies, I should revisit all the ones I already watched, and watch the ones I never watche, such as Dragon fight.

And as a side note, I LOVE Romeo must die too, and Kiss of the dragon as well.

Ah @ShawAngela, another fan of the movie. :wink:

I was so stoked when 88 Films told me they were releasing this. Kinda funny- 14 years ago when I started this thread, I certainly couldn't have guessed that I'd be doing an audio commentary and cover art for an official release of the film. :nerd:

I saw ROMEO MUST DIE in the theater and did not like it. But because I'm such a big Jet fan I still bought the DVD when it came out. I re-watched it and still give it a big thumbs down. Although Jet is good in it, I thought the fights were severely marred by ridiculous looking wire-work that didn't work at all in the film's setting, and I find Anthony Anderson to be headache-inducing, and not funny in the least. I'm glad you and @DrNgor enjoy it though.

KISS OF THE DRAGON is easily one of the top two English language-produced Jet Li films made (along with UNLEASHED), and one of Jet's best in general.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I saw ROMEO MUST DIE in the theater and did not like it. But because I'm such a big Jet fan I still bought the DVD when it came out. I re-watched it and still give it a big thumbs down. Although Jet is good in it, I thought the fights were severely marred by ridiculous looking wire-work that didn't work at all in the film's setting, and I find Anthony Anderson to be headache-inducing, and not funny in the least. I'm glad you and @DrNgor enjoy it though.

I only have eyes for Jet Li...:bs_laughing:

4 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

KISS OF THE DRAGON is easily one of the top two English language-produced Jet Li films made (along with UNLEASHED), and one of Jet's best in general.

Is Unleashed the same as Craddl 2 grave ? The one in which Jet Li plays with a black rap man, if I remember well ? I loved it too.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I saw ROMEO MUST DIE in the theater and did not like it. But because I'm such a big Jet fan I still bought the DVD when it came out. I re-watched it and still give it a big thumbs down. Although Jet is good in it, I thought the fights were severely marred by ridiculous looking wire-work that didn't work at all in the film's setting, and I find Anthony Anderson to be headache-inducing, and not funny in the least. I'm glad you and @DrNgor enjoy it though

I also saw it in the theater; my friend and I cut class to watch it. I was still pretty chill on the wire-fu at that point, so it didn't bother me. But I can totally understand people who don't like it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Is Unleashed the same as Craddl 2 grave ? The one in which Jet Li plays with a black rap man, if I remember well ? I loved it too.

Unleashed is the same as Danny the Dog, where the late Bob Hoskins leads him around on a leash to fight against his enemies and debtors.

Cradle 2 the Grave teams up Jet Li with the late rapper DMX (who had a cameo in Romeo Must Die).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrNgor said:

Unleashed is the same as Danny the Dog, where the late Bob Hoskins leads him around on a leash to fight against his enemies and debtors.

Cradle 2 the Grave teams up Jet Li with the late rapper DMX (who had a cameo in Romeo Must Die).

Thanks. I have Danny the dog too. At first, I didn't like it very much, but it seems to me that I rewatched it and that I changed my mind. Jet Li and Morgan Freeman had a great chemistry in this movie.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The only ones movies of his that I don't like very much are Hero and The warlords

Funny, those are both great films! Perhaps give them another chance sometime in the future? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Funny, those are both great films! Perhaps give them another chance sometime in the future? 

I should and I'll do it when I'll find a while... which is not for yesterday !:bs_laughing::bs_laughing:

• Like 1