Jet Li's THE MASTER

KUNG FU BOB

• Administrator

Hey kung fu brothers and sisters, I was wondering what you all think about this movie?

This was the first Jet Li film I ever saw, so it has a special place in my heart. I don't think it's just nostalgia, but I always hear people ripping on this one. I know it's release was even held up when it was finished. But I think it has some serious merits.

Here's the way I see it:

The Downside

*Yes, it's got a lot of ridiculous stereotypes and poor acting on the part of the US performers. :confused:

The Upside

*This is one of the few Jet Li films where you get to see him fighting without a ton of wirework. :)

*Jet fights both multiple opponents, and has intense one-on-one fights with the lead villain Johnny (a talented martial artist/actor).

*Jet gets to display a lot more personality here than in many of his other roles, puts in a good performance, and is quite funny.

*The always cool Yuen Wah plays the master and kicks plenty of bad guy booty.

*There's a lot of action, and the movie never drags.

It's sort of feels like one of those US B-movies from the 80's, except it has awesome martial arts action. I mean, it's certainly not as good as FEARLESS, FIST OF LEGEND, or even SHAOLIN TEMPLE. But I hear people talking up KUNG FU CULT MASTER all the time, and I think that film kind of stinks. :rolleyes:

I'm certainly interested to hear everyone's opinions.

I wrote a review on this movie some years ago, but I don't remember where.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty decent movie with the exception of the ridicolous latino sidekicks. Worth owning for the fights and for Yuen Wah, but everything else is a bit over the top. I think I'll revisit this one sometime soon.

On a side note, Kung Fu Cult Master is one of my favorite Jet Li films just for its sheer craziness. :)

Hey kung fu brothers and sisters, I was wondering what you all think about this movie?

This was the first Jet Li film I ever saw, so it has a special place in my heart. I don't think it's just nostalgia, but I always hear people ripping on this one. I know it's release was even held up when it was finished. But I think it has some serious merits.

Here's the way I see it:

The Downside

*Yes, it's got a lot of ridiculous stereotypes and poor acting on the part of the US performers. :confused:

The Upside

*This is one of the few Jet Li films where you get to see him fighting without a ton of wirework. :)

*Jet fights both multiple opponents, and has intense one-on-one fights with the lead villain Johnny (a talented martial artist/actor).

*Jet gets to display a lot more personality here than in many of his other roles, puts in a good performance, and is quite funny.

It's sort of feels like one of those US B-movies from the 80's, except it has awesome martial arts action. I mean, it's certainly not as good as FEARLESS, FIST OF LEGEND.

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on the movie. It's a very enjoyable Jet Li movie and I'm surprised to hear it's not well thought of.

people hate this movie because it is way too b-rated. For a movie directed/scripted/produced by Tsui Hark, it is just bad. Tsui Hark can do much better, much...much...much much better.

• Administrator
people hate this movie because it is way too b-rated. For a movie directed/scripted/produced by Tsui Hark, it is just bad. Tsui Hark can do much better, much...much...much much better.

Do I like THE BLADE, ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA, and PEKING OPERA BLUES better than THE MASTER? You bet.

But isn't THE MASTER better than KNOCK OFF and BLACK MASK 2?! I certainly think so.:cool:

Chinatown Kid

I didn't really like The Master, the fights were kinda blah for lack of a better word. A movie that doesn't get enough credit of Jet's that has really good fights imo is Dragon Fight with Dick Wei, check it out of ya haven't. :cool:

• Administrator
I didn't really like The Master, the fights were kinda blah for lack of a better word. A movie that doesn't get enough credit of Jet's that has really good fights imo is Dragon Fight with Dick Wei, check it out of ya haven't. :cool:

I feel the same way about DRAGON FIGHT. Underrated. Dick Wei kicks dah butt!

Morgoth Bauglir

Other than a couple of decent fights, I can't say anything good about this movie, and I found almost every second of it unbearable. I was amazed when I found out who Tsui Hark was and that he directed this.

Other than a couple of decent fights, I can't say anything good about this movie, and I found almost every second of it unbearable. I was amazed when I found out who Tsui Hark was and that he directed this.

Why did this film seem so much like No Retreat, No Surrender in overall feel?

Crap.

I watched this again recently and it's still one of Jet Li's weaker movies. The action was decent but still nowhere near as good as I've seen Jet Li perform. Dragon Fight was much better.

• Administrator

:P Hey Dragon, don't hold back. Seriously, just say what you really feel man. LOL!

After reading these posts I guess I'll have to attribute my feelings about the film to pure nostalgia! :D

I love hearing everyone's opinions though- pretty cool.

I enjoyed the film enough, didnt dislike it. Jet is young and fast as hell, just the rest of the film did feel like a dtv b-movie. Reccomended viewing, but I personally have only watched it once. Not really interested in seeing it again. 6.5/10

The villian is real life former kickboxing champion Jerry "Golden Boy" Trimble, Jr. He and Jet li supposedly hated each other while filming The Master. He's way underrated! He had his share of B movies with decent action but his ma skills are incredible, especially his bootwork! He had cameo's in King of the Kickboxers, Heat (Al Pacino/Robert DeNiro) and Charlie's Angels. His real life kickboxing bouts looked choreograped. Check him out

It says he's undefeated, but he lost at least 2 and won at least 29. One of the best in history.

• Administrator
The villian is real life former kickboxing champion Jerry "Golden Boy" Trimble, Jr. He and Jet li supposedly hated each other while filming The Master. He's way underrated! His real life kickboxing bouts looked choreograped. Check him out

It says he's undefeated, but he lost at least 2 and won at least 29. One of the best in history.

Thanks for the link to that clip. He is an amazing fighter. But I saw some very un-sportsman like garbage too- hitting the opponent while they're down and rabbit punches- that's lame. That sort of stuff should only be done in a real, life-threatening situation, not in a sports competition.

I've also heard both sides of the Jerry/ Jet hate or respect rumors. I would guess that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. No doubt a champion fighter did not want to be made to look like a fool by a "movie star" and no doubt that caused some ego flare-ups. Still, I really enjoyed Trimble's moves in the film!

i met jerry and he's a really nice guy, but hearing him talking about his fights he was really competitive.. he was a hugely underrated MA actor.

• Like 1

I too hear he's a nice guy...now. ;)

He is an amazing fighter. But I saw some very un-sportsman like garbage too- hitting the opponent while they're down and rabbit punches- that's lame. That sort of stuff should only be done in a real, life-threatening situation, not in a sports competition.

I agree. I personally prefer fighters to be humble, but everything you mentioned is common in combat sports. Although, I understand why, I don't condone that behavior (trash talking, hitting opponent while down and illegal blows, etc.).

Anyway, the movie is decent just for the fights and for hardcore Jet and Jerry fans.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

Trimble is one of the exceptions in the genre in that his real fights looked better than his choreographed fights! His spinning hook kick is wicked, that also happens to be one of my favorite kicks that I use in TKD.

• Like 1

I've only seen the OOP Universe DVD, which is horrible (almost as horrible as the acting in the movie itself). It's presented in fullscreen but is in reality just open matte, which means you can see all the mattresses, mike booms and camera tracks. It does take a bit away from a movie, when the actor is supposed to be falling, but you can see he standing on a mattress!

Maybe i should give it another chance??

• Like 1

• Administrator

Like I said before, it's not a great movie. But it makes for a helluva B-Movie!

Anything where Jet fights without wires or computer animation that makes him move like bouncing ping pong ball- ROMEO MUST DIE (Now there's a film that SUCKS!)- is worth a second look. I first saw it at the movies, but then I eventually got that lame Uviverse DVD. That disc really was terrible.

How did I get the disc?

Um... my friend hated the movie so much, he just gave it to me. LOLXD:D;):)

Cognoscente

This was the first Jet Li movie that I ever saw, which made it all the more surprising when I saw what he could really do in The Shaolin Temple. In Japan, The Master was known as Hard Blood. The below black and white page came from the February '90 issue (#241) of Cinemart.

241.jpg

i-img769x1093-1563678113coqda6148.jpg

i-img1093x774-1563678113a85gb0148.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/14/2008 at 4:05 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Here's the way I see it:

The Downside

The Upside

It's sort of feels like one of those US B-movies from the 80's, except it has awesome martial arts action. I mean, it's certainly not as good as FEARLESS, FIST OF LEGEND, or even SHAOLIN TEMPLE. But I hear people talking up KUNG FU CULT MASTER all the time, and I think that film kind of stinks. :rolleyes:

I'm certainly interested to hear everyone's opinions.

I LOVE this movie ! I first watched it as the HKVideo release, many, many years ago, but I remember that I was like "wow ! I love Jet Li's fights !". I bought the 88 release and watched it again, and I STILL LOVE IT !! I know that some people dislike it and find a lot of defaults to it, but well, for me, it's a GREAT Jet Li' movie. The only ones movies of his that I don't like very much are Hero and The warlords, and maybe The one, I'm not sure, because I watched it years ago too. But to be sure of my feelings towards his movies, I should revisit all the ones I already watched, and watch the ones I never watche, such as Dragon fight.

And as a side note, I LOVE Romeo must die too, and Kiss of the dragon as well.

• Like 2