Dragon Dynasty "Dreadnaught"?

GwaiLoMoFo

WHat happened to the planned DD release of "Dreadnaught"? Is it ever gonna happen, or should I just try and track down the HKL release?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been postponed, but going by DD track record. It will probably be release 2010.:D

Depending on how much you actually like the film. I would get the HKL, but I myself can wait until the DD version is released.

• Administrator
WHat happened to the planned DD release of "Dreadnaught"? Is it ever gonna happen, or should I just try and track down the HKL release?

It's already been 28 years since the movie came out! I'm sure you can wait a couple more months for the best DVD release you're probably ever going to get to come out. ;)

I'm a big fan of the HKL releases, but as you probably know, the last 6 or so were sadly lacking in the special features department. DREADNAUGHT included. So I would definitely recommend holding out a little while longer and getting the DD release. It may have the slightly altered audio people have complained about, but I'm sure it will have some great features too. When they do interviews with the stars, they often prepare multiple segments for several DVD releases all at the same time. Since good Yuen Biao interviews have been included on both RIGHTING WRONGS and MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS, I'm sure there'll be one for DREADNAUGHT too. I just wish they'd also interview Yuen Wo ping, his brother (who plays the villain White Tiger), or anyone else except Brett Rattner. :P He seems like a nice enough guy, and the RUSH HOUR movies are okay, but I don't care what he has to say about these films. At all. Dragon Dynasty, if you're reading this- NO MORE RATTNER.

The Running Man
It's already been 28 years since the movie came out! I'm sure you can wait a couple more months for the best DVD release you're probably ever going to get to come out.

Going by DD's track record, you'd best get the HKL version which has high quality retranslated subs, good video, and a legit mono track.

About the only thing DD will have worthy are maybe an interview or two. The feature film presentation has already been bested in an edition already available.

In other words, if you really want the movie, there is no reason not to get the HKL DVD.

When they do interviews with the stars, they often prepare multiple segments for several DVD releases all at the same time. Since good Yuen Biao interviews have been included on both RIGHTING WRONGS and MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS, I'm sure there'll be one for DREADNAUGHT too.

The interviews with Yuen Biao on those discs were not done by DD. They were made by Fortune Star.

Anyway, are you guys actually sure the HKL DVD is cut? According to the BBFC, the HKL DVD passed with no cuts made.

ironfistedmonk

The print of the film submitted to the BBFC must have already had the chicken scene removed, hence it being passed with no further cuts

Guest Markgway
The print of the film submitted to the BBFC must have already had the chicken scene removed, hence it being passed with no further cuts

That's what I was told by the BBFC.

The HKL disc's video is great, however, as Kung Fu Bob stated, no real extras beyond the trailer and the Lily Li interview. The Eng. dub isn't the original and there isn't much punch to the new sound effects, so that shouldn't be a distraction for those who like/prefer mono.

:nerd:

I emailed Bey Logan about this and he said :

I'd really love to release Dreadnaught. The earlier kung fu titles haven't sold so well for us, so that has delayed their release. As I remember, I already recorded the commentary. Stay tuned! - Bey

Doesnt sound good for any of the Classic releases we may hope to see. But at the end he sounds optimistic. I guess Ill keep my eyes peeled for the HKL.

Bah I would rather spend that much money picking up the harder to find titles aka the classics

I hope there's a turn-around...i think they need to spend more marketing to increase interest in classic kung fu flicks

Killer Meteor

Its £50 at Amazon.uk

A few random HKLs are suddely OOP - Odd Couple being another. Not sure why. Hopefully they'll come back, cause BBFC aside HKL's DN should be better than DDs

Guest Markgway
They still have it on HKflix for 17.95!

No wonder at that price!! lol

I was thinking more along the lines of £5.99 which is what Play used to sell HKLs at.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah... used to, but now all HKL discs are mindblowingly overpriced, it's not just HKflix and play... it's everywhere!

Yeah... used to, but now all HKL discs are mindblowingly overpriced, it's not just HKflix and play... it's everywhere!

yup because they have become basically a sought after collectors item.

But not all HKL dvds are amazingly overpriced, quite a few are very cheap, it's usually those movies which are amazing and/or also have exceptional amount of quality extras

Cheapest HKL dvd i've bought is Fist of Fury platinum edition which was £3

Guest Markgway

I was waiting for Dreadnaught to come down in price, but it went straight from RRP to obscurity. I never got overly concerned because I believed that the DD would be imminent, but now...... erm..........

HKL discs are still fairly plentiful over here in Aus if there are some any of you are looking for. I can pass on several sites if need be.

Archived