Roaring Fire (1982)

AlbertV

Did anyone get to see this film??? I have the VHS old rental tape and it stars Hiroyuki Sanada, who was billed as Henry Sanada, as Joji, a young karateka who lives in the USA and goes back to Japan to seek revenge against the thugs responsible for killing his twin brother and learns he has a sister, who is blind but can fight, played by Etsuko Shihomi.

Sonny Chiba appears in the film as Mr. Magic, a magician who is also an undercover Interpol agent who helps Sanada on his quest. The film also stars everyone's favorite baddie, Masashi Ishibashi, in a rare non-action cameo as Joji's "adopted" father.

Sanada gets to shine in his fight scenes. He is definitely a powerful kicker and there is some oddity that includes the evil uncle's henchwomen dressed as Nazi-like amazons with bullwhips. Pretty freaky at times, but an enjoyable action film IMO.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was very lucky to get my hands on a DVD-r of this recently (although kind of a moot point now what with bCI's impending release!!) and, whilst full of daft comedy that wasn't to my taste, once it took off it I found myself loving it.

It amazes me that this film has dropped off the radar the way it has, especially with the awesome cast (even "Junjo" pops up!!).

The fight scenes, whilst not abundant, were really strong (no surprise, they were choreographed by Chiba himself) and they left me wishing that Sanada had made more films in that vein.

The dubbing was pretty lousy, though!

Was it just me, or did anyone else wonder if Jackie Chan had seen the bus fight scene?!

Does anyone know what's cut from it, by the way?

Cannot wait to see a full, W/S, original language version - roll on November!! :)

I was very lucky to get my hands on a DVD-r of this recently (although kind of a moot point now what with bCI's impending release!!)

Cannot wait to see a full, W/S, original language version - roll on November!! :)

In JAPAN it is coming out...from Toei Video on November 21st.

Jesse Smooth

Is this coming out from BCI??????? I so want to see this remastered Dubbed or Subbed. I do like the old New Line logo used.

man i need to get my hands on that one. saw it in the video store when i was a kid and the old lady who ran it gave me the poster with that and other titles on it. sigh...now its gone

kungfusamurai

What is the ETA for BCI to put out Roaring Fire? I miss Cliff's input! I'm still crossing my fingers for the release of the Fight Dragon TV Series on DVD by BCI.

KFS

Been waiting for a legit release with both dubbed and subs anamophic widescreen for a long time now. I also have the VHS release of the film. This has to be the best Sanada film period (IMO) in terms of action! And yes the old english dub kicks ass! Classic flick. :P

Looks pretty cool. I'd never heard of it, so I watched a clip on youtube. Sanada really gets to let loose! I also recognized the naginata-wielding villain as one of the crazy demon monks from Ninja Wars, so I'll definately give this a shot.

• Administrator
Looks pretty cool. I'd never heard of it, so I watched a clip on youtube. Sanada really gets to let loose! I also recognized the naginata-wielding villain as one of the crazy demon monks from Ninja Wars, so I'll definately give this a shot.

Hmmm... I don't remember there being a naginata used in this film. :o Bamboo Spear, are you sure you saw a clip from ROARING FIRE? It's a modern day film and Sanada is sporting his hair is a feathered disco doo (like JC's hair style in DRUNKEN MASTER).

Of course, I could just be forgetting that scene... :quiet:

It was right after Sanada had to fight the boxer in the windowless room. Crazy guy jumped in with a halberd, although I suppose it was more of a nagamaki than a naginata. Man I had no idea Abdullah the Butcher was in this film. I've definately got to watch it now.

This film does have some still worthy moments action and stunt wise..would be good to see a solid release with some good extras etc

I put subtitles on it from an old VHS and it look great. but it seems they could have done a better job cleaning up the print. but in all a 7 out of 10.

Funny finally to be able to see that Sanada being lifted around in the swimming pool. you can clearly see the lines attached on his back now.

Love this Movie. Sanada to me is the Next best thing after Bruce Lee when it comes to movie fighting. something clean and simple about it.

Again, I ask where are you BCI?? Please release this in the states!!!!! :nerd:

http://outcastcinema.blogspot.com/2008/12/whither-bci-eclipse.html

:(:(:(:(

BCI are no more - that is so not fair - they realeased some cool stuff, and the future was looking promising for more cool stuff

Diagoro - Good luck with the custom subbing project ;) that'll be really cool to be able to watch such a great movie in all it's glory :)

Ok I know I'm late to the party here, but I just watched this for the first time last night. Sanada kicks so much ass in this movie...the only thing better is his awesome Village People inspired clothes!!

Chiba-san as Mister Magic was awesome. His bit witht he dummy was awesome and then sure enough after I thought it was a glorified cameo he gets to bust loose some excellent fighting as well.

All in all great movie. Spartacas "NO I AM CHAMPION" I'm still trying to figure what he meant by that. :tongue:

theThirdMaster

I just watched this for the first time recently, and I love this movie.  I'm just going to have to work my way down the list of Norifumi Suzuki directed movies, after having seen this and a few of his pinky violence movies.

This movie is just insane.  There's no other way to put it.  I haven't seen another movie quite like this one.

Awesome blend of comedy, antics, excellent stunt work, great fights, and a pet monkey that steals bikini tops.  The comedy might go either way for you, it's way over the top, but that's just how these types of movies are.  The comedy worked for me.  The second half of the movie shifts to a more serious tone.  And that's where the really cool stunts and fights come in. Did I mention cool stunts? Like jumping from a running horse onto a moving Jeep.

Check it out if you can find it.  I watched it with subtitles which someone had graciously typed up the subtitles from the VHS dub.

Archived